Here I Go

ronshoneygirl23
on 3/14/17 7:51 am

Went to Orientation on March 9th at Guelph. It was a wonderful informative session. My Hubby wasn't feeling well ( he is not so impressed with me having surgery ) so I asked him to stay home and went by myself. I thought it was better to go alone so I could completely focus on the program. I was right. I took in lots of good info.

Since I was there I have kept my food and mood diary faithfully. Practiced chewing my food slowly and have been drinking my water. I printed off a copy of the Canada food guide and have been following it. I have filled my pantry with low fat and sugar free food. I have been cutting my coffee down to twice a day (5 -7 day) and putting 1% milk instead of 5% cream in it. I am really trying to be committed to the program as this is my new normal.

I have lost 5lbs since Friday. I am tickled about that. I told my Mom and she said I don't see why you just can't continue with that and keeping it off. She has no idea what that means for a food addict. So, I told her Mom that is not how it works for me. I identify that I am a stress eater and I skip meals. I told her I have made up my mind to go forward with the surgery and I need everyone to support me. I think she gets it because she is strong willed just like me. She sees it like it was 30 years ago.

I told her that medical technology has improved over the years and that it is not the same as it was 30 years ago. I said that you only hear the bad things about surgery but there are far more wonderful things that can be accomplished by this surgery. I am 59 years old and have ate the way I do up until now and weigh 318 lbs (this morning 307) so it's time I try something that will help me keeping it off. I said this is not the easy way that people say it is. REALLY, not the easy way. A tool that I still have to do the work to accomplish my dreams of weight loss. I am ready to start a new normal.

Christy

rce884
on 3/14/17 11:00 am
RNY on 09/05/17

You Go ronshoneygirl23!

keep up the good work it will be surgery time in no time!

I may not be there yet, but I'm closer than I was yesterday!

Highest weight 311/ Weight day of surgery 271/One Month 257/ Two Months 247.5 / Three Months 241/ Four months 234/ Five months 228

Kathy1212
on 3/14/17 11:21 am

Congratulations, Christy! You're starting an incredible journey. You're doing something positive and wonderful for your health and happiness.

I'll be 6 weeks post op RNY tomorrow, and although I've had challenges since surgery, I wouldn't trade it for the world. I'm down 54 Lbs since starting my preop diet on Jan. 18th of this year. There's no way I could have ever done that on my own.

Good luck!

Kathy

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

Teena D.
on 3/14/17 12:22 pm - Oshawa, Canada
RNY on 01/12/17

Keep up the great work! I'm almost 9 weeks post-op, and even thought it's been a huge adjustment, I am so glad that I did this. I'm with Toronto Western, but because of a backlog there, I had my surgery at Guelph. The centre there is amazing, and I think you're in great hands!

RNY Jan 12, 2017 Lost 137 lbs but regained 60.

77 lbs lost and counting!

Losing the regain! I got this!

Lisa C.
on 3/14/17 12:26 pm

Congrats on making the decision and taking the first step. My aunt had the surgery on the East coast in the early 80's. And had incredible difficulties and since has gained it all back plus some. HOWEVER...she never quit chain smoking, she would drink pepsi all day, drink wine all night and she didn't change her eating habits. Well of course it there would be complications and agony. If we did that now the same would happen.

I haven't told my mom because of that reason (and I can get away with it because she is in Nova Scotia, I am in Ontario) I know she will only say, it doesn't work look at your aunt. This is not 1980 and there is better knowledge and we spend a year learning what to do an what not to do and how to be successful. I think the big difference between now and then is that today we know this surgery is just a tool. It won't fix everything. You have to do a lot of the fixing yourself.

Back to you...sticking to the food guide is a great start. You may want to incorporate more protien into your diet as that is the main source leading up to and after the surgery. Also, start getting in the habit of taking a vitamin every day.

You mentioned your mom and hubby, they are not on board, well come here whenever needed. It has helped me tremendously. Someone will always have an answer or a suggestion, or just their experience that you can take away.

Welcome!!!!

Referred April 2016, Orientation September 21, 2016; Psyc appointment November 23, 2016; Nurse Practitioner assessment November 30, 2016; Nutrition Class December 7, 2016; Social Worker assessment December 9, 2016; Nutrition 1:1 January 26, 2017 and Surgeon April 7, 2017; Pre-admission June 12, 2017; Surgery date June 20, 2017 with Dr. T. Jackson TWH.

Pre surgery loss 20 lbs, M1-17 lb, M2-16, M3-16.2, M4-7, M5-10.8, M6-+8, M7-4, M8-

Goal 1- 50 pound loss by Jan. 1, 2018 (245.6 lbs) reached August 10, 2017

Goal 2 - 100 pound loss by June 21, 2018 (one year post op) (195.6) reached TBD

ronshoneygirl23
on 3/14/17 1:13 pm

Thank you Everyone for your great words of encouragement. It is so nice that we do not travel this road alone.

Christy

Most Active