Revised "no drinking 30 min before meal"

Wayne H.
on 3/11/17 3:22 pm
RNY on 02/08/17

Yep. Had that feeling once. No choice but to get rid of it....ralph and then its all good again.

LauraLeafFan
on 3/10/17 10:04 am

There is a really good video on YouTube that demonstrates your pouch after we eat and if we drink just after and what happens to our pouch. Look up WLS- don't drink after meals. It will help make sense of it.

Good luck on your journey!!

Delicious_Delilah
on 3/10/17 9:28 am - Ottawa, Canada

Prior to surgery, you had a pyloric valve at the bottom of your stomach that kept both liquids and solids in which makes people feel full. From time to time the pyloric valve opens and the food moves through the system to continue the digestive process.

But now, with no pyloric valve, we rely on the solidity of food to stay in our pouches -- that gives us the full sensation and makes sure the food doesn't move through too quickly. If you add liquids to that mix, it just flushes it down very quickly -- and no sensation of fullness.

I never understood the 30 minutes before rule, and spoke to the dietician about it on a number of occasions. She agreed with me. I'm glad to see they changed the rule more formally. But I absolutely follow the no liquids with meals or for 30 minutes (at minimum) after meals.

Good luck!

DD

SweetPeaVeronica
on 3/10/17 11:17 am

Wi**** was the same here at HRRH. I am use to it but I know I have to get more water in me through out the day. I'm sure the scale would go crazy than. I am only 1 month post op. Getting in about 1 litre a day plus whatever else comes from my protein shakes.

Referred February 6, 2016 ~ Orientation May 3, 2016 ~ Surgeon (Dr. Klein) Apt September 1, 2016 ~ Internist (Dr. Glazer) Apt September 27, 2016 ~ Nut/Diet/Social Apt December 13, 2016 ~ Surgeon (Dr. Klein) Apt January 11, 2017 ~ Start of Opti January 18, 2017 ~ Surgery Date February 8, 2017 @ HRRH Lost 137.4 to date

MC_Akeson
on 3/10/17 11:23 am - Ontario, Canada

I've this new rule posted before (here or on FB) so I think clinics are in the process of revising this protocol. As the nut said, liquids drank just before a meal just right through your pouch and down in the intestine and there's nothing to stop the water to accumulate in your pouch nor is there any food to push down which totally makes sense.

RNY: Jan. 31, 2017, Ottawa Civic with Dr. Amy Neville

5' 2"; HW (@ start of Optifast): 267 & 45.5% BF; SW: 247

White Dove
on 3/10/17 2:50 pm - Warren, OH

This is the Video

The longer you wait to drink, the longer food stays in your pouch and the less hunger you will feel. If you drink with meals you will never feel full.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

TDotDana
on 3/10/17 4:07 pm - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 01/23/17

This is funny - I had lap band 4 years ago - and at that time - we had the same rule - no drinkgin 30 mins before or after -then a month or so later - it changed - drink right up to eating - then wait 30 mins after.

I was shocked that the 30 mins prior rule was in effect for RNY - but thought maybe there was another reason.

I had read on a forum here -that there is no reason not to drink up to eating.

I had my 1 month follow up this week - and the nutritionist said that the 30 mins before rule still applies (TWH) and it was because the water would fill us up - and we would not be able to hold enough food. This makes me shake my head - water does not sit in the pouch - it goes right through - how could it fill you up?

Anyway - glad that they are making the change - let's hope it spreads :)

HW - 283lbs (1991)** LW - 206lbs (2014)**CW 265lbs **Slimband - March 8, 2013 ** 275lbs @ Preop Diet**  261lbs on surgery day**Referral TWH - Feb'16**Orientation TWH - May 11/16**Psychologist TWH (Dr Wnuk) - June 24/16 ** Social Work (Anna Wallwork) - July 20/16 **Nurse (Wei Wang) - July 25/16 ** Nutrition Class (Lorraine Gougeon) - Aug 15/16    Endoscopy TWH - Aug 18/16  Dietician (Laura Scott) - Sept 15/16 Surgeon Dr Okrainek Nov 18/16 ** PreOP @ TWN Jan 9/17 *** RNY & Lap Band Removal Surgery @ TWH Jan 23/17 w/ Dr Urbach

MC_Akeson
on 3/13/17 10:24 am - Ontario, Canada

You are right. The nut said water doesn't stay in your pouch prior to eating. It goes right through which is why they changed the rule, yeah!

RNY: Jan. 31, 2017, Ottawa Civic with Dr. Amy Neville

5' 2"; HW (@ start of Optifast): 267 & 45.5% BF; SW: 247

Teena D.
on 3/13/17 4:14 am - Oshawa, Canada
RNY on 01/12/17

Several vets on here said we could drink right up to eating but of course have to wait the 30 minutes after so I've been doing that since my surgery. I haven't had any issues and I do think it helps me get more water in. As others said, do look up the video on YouTube about why we wait 30 minutes after. It makes it very clear. :)

RNY Jan 12, 2017 Lost 137 lbs but regained 60.

77 lbs lost and counting!

Losing the regain! I got this!

Most Active