VSG or RNY - who chooses?

Suebe1
on 3/7/17 12:47 pm

Hi all

I met with the nurse yesterday and she went through explaining the RNY and VSG procedures. She also stated that the RNY is the gold standard and is the quickest weight lost, etc. Personally, after everything I have researched, I have decided I would prefer the VSG. Mostly due to less complication down the road and not having or as much of malaborption issues.

Would love to hear your experience regarding this. Of course I understand that the doctor will likely discuss the reasons why the RNY would be better and perhaps he will change my mind, but ultimately who makes that final decision.

Referred to Windsor Nov./16, Orientation Jan. 16/17, NP Mar. 6, NUT Mar.21, DR/SW Apr. 19, Approved by Dr., Dietician/SW Jun. 5 Approved, Surgical Class July 24, met the surgeon Dr. Boujani August 3/17, Pre Op Aug. 22, Opti Aug. 29, Surgery Sept. 12/17.

leeann73
on 3/7/17 1:03 pm

my understanding is that it is the surgeon that decides. The RNY is the preferred method unless there are other issues that make the VSG better - ie - the need to use NSAIDS. I would say to keep doing your research, have a good list of why you personally would want one over the other and then you can have a good informed decision with the surgeon once you get to that stage, but ultimately he/she decides.

referral: early June 2016; surgery Feb 21, 2017

LauraLeafFan
on 3/7/17 1:11 pm

Hello,

The surgeon decides. OHIP only covers RNY unless for some reason you can only have the Sleeve done. That is what I was told anyway.

Good luck,

Laura

fromfattohealthy
on 3/7/17 3:51 pm - Canada

you can still advocate for yourself- especially if you feel that one surgery would be better than the other for yourself. Don't give up. You know what is right for you.

IamBettyCooper
on 3/7/17 8:06 pm

I let everyone know why I wanted the sleeve at every appointment, it was well documented in my file and why. I also told them I would refuse RNY if the surgeon did not agree to sleeve and even crossed out that option on the consent form at the surgeon appointment so it was very clear. The staff all said it is up to the surgeon but he actually didn't seem to care. He listened to why I wanted the sleeve (on the day of surgery since I had a last minute surgeon switch) and was happy to do the sleeve.

My best advice to you is to do your research and have your facts and arguments ready. For me, speed was not an issue and I'd rather lose the weight a little slower but have a result that works better for my overall health situation (ie: need to take medication). I am 8 months out and over 100lbs down, no regrets at all and no real complications. Just remember whatever surgery, it is a tool and you have to retrain yourself in your habits and do the mental work that is necessary or it won't work. Wishing you all the best.

TWH ... Referral April 2015 ... Orientation July 2015 ... Psych Sept 2015 ... Social Worker Oct 2015 ... Nurse Practitioner Dec 2015 ... Nutrition Class Jan 2016 ... Nutritionist Feb 2016 ... Surgeon Appt April 2016 ... VGS Surgery July 2016

HW 294.2 SW 271 CW 183.1

Manda32
on 3/7/17 11:54 pm

I felt the same way as you wanted the VSG over the RNY. THe RNY is heavily pushed. Ultimately the surgeon is the deciding factor on what surgery type you have. However, my bariatric doctor recommendied the VSG for me (for medical reasons) and he said generally surgeons will go by their recommendations, and my surgeon did agree. Having VSG next week,

Having a VSG done, you need to have medical reasons why you need the VSG over the RNY (like not being able to stop using Nsaids as an example). I would say advocate for yourself, no one else will. Talk to your bariatric doctor about why you want it, and see what he/she says. Just be prepared that the surgeon has final say, I've heard that some surgeons are open minded about talking about it, so you never know, but more than not, you need a good reason to get the vSG.

Good luck!

Orientation April 2016 - Final approvals December 2016. Surgical Class January 23, 2017. Met with Dr. Reed February 7, 2017. Opti start date March 1, 2017. Surgery March 15, 2017 (Dr. Foute-Nelong).

HW 348 SW 316 CW 191

GW 160

100Buttons
on 3/9/17 8:06 pm
RNY on 03/03/17

As you move through the process I would do research research research. I was actually quite upset that I was not given the choice. Told it was RNY or up to the surgeon while I was out cold on the table. While preparing all my notes to dvocate for the sleeve like others have mentioned, I decided somewhere in there that I crisply want RNY more. At my surgeon apt when she mentioned that I may require a sleeve due to extensive scr tissue, my stomach actually turned a little.

Keep reserching and sing questions. Once you are sure what is right for you, push for it. However you may be subject to further delays, not sure. You have to live with the results and there are pros and cons to each. You need to weigh them, knowing yourself best. It really should be our choice. It's rediculous to be honest.

RachelleJ
on 3/14/17 8:37 pm - Canada

I went through Hamilton and wanted the sleeve and in the end the surgeon agreed with me. Part of his reasoning was because of my high bMI and being so young I am a good candidate for the DS to continue loosing my excess weight.

Roroab
on 5/13/18 5:12 pm

How old are you ? I am 38 I don't know if that an enough reason for me ?

RachelleJ
on 5/13/18 5:32 pm - Canada

I was 32 at time. Now at 34 I am getting a DS on wednesday.

Most Active