One Month Post-Op Appt. and some info about my test results

MC_Akeson
on 3/1/17 9:13 am, edited 3/1/17 1:13 am - Ontario, Canada

... and exhale! Phew, I'm really happy you got your answers and you must be so relieved! Kudos to the nurse who got on the ball right away and phoned you back within hours. And your dad is such a darling and thoughtful. You have a good support team with you. 

I actually find that the puree and soft food phase is harder than the liquid phase and some days would go back to liquids so I don't have to track all the food, protein, water, etc,. The stop/start drinking 30 min before and after eating is tricky some days mostly if you are out of the house. The liquid phase is so easy; drink all your proteins, get in your fluids and add soup or yogurt here and there. I only lost 6.5 lbs in the last 3 weeks; since I started puree, and sometimes wish I could go back to full liquids to lose more, faster. Part of me is impatient to get into my bikini but on the flip side I try to remind myself that the slower I lose, less chances to get loose skin. I hope that eventually my system will understand that this low-calorie diet is now my normal and to stop holding on to every little bits and pieces of food. 

Thanks for keeping us posted!

RNY: Jan. 31, 2017, Ottawa Civic with Dr. Amy Neville

5' 2"; HW (@ start of Optifast): 267 & 45.5% BF; SW: 247

Kathy1212
on 3/1/17 9:38 am

The nurse is really great, and I'm so glad she's back.  She started me out when I first started this journey over two years ago, then went off on maternity leave (and had a beautiful baby girl).  I'm so glad she's back as she's so competent and kind.

The liquid phase is easier, that's for sure.

I've been slathering my body with Palmer's Firming Cocoa Butter.  I don't know if it will help prevent loose skin (probably not), but it's inexpensive and smells amazing (like chocolate).  I don't put it over my incisions, but liberally coat everywhere else, lol.  I usually wear a vanilla cream, so it's nice to smell like chocolate for a change, lol. 

You'll have to post photos of your bikini when you get there.  I'm excited to start swimming again, maybe in 2 weeks time. The nurse told me I could start now, but she didn't really look at my incisions.  My doctor told me to wait until at least 6 weeks post op.

My Dad is a sweetie, that's for sure.

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

Jo0710
on 3/1/17 9:23 am

Don't worry. I feel the same. 6 weeks out and I can't tolerate much. Also food isn't tasting good anymore either. I made scrambled eggs yesterday and threw them out. Then made an over easy egg and threw that out too. Chicken makes me throw up and have pain.  I am having a hard time and want more options other than soup. 

RNY Jan 16/17 Surgery @ St. Mikes with Dr. Rotstein. Pre-Surgery -20lbs & Optifast -15lbs. Year 1 Loss after RNY: 131lbs

**Half the woman I was**

Kathy1212
on 3/1/17 9:48 am

I'm so sorry you're having a hard time. I'm lucky most foods still taste good to me, except for cream of mushroom soup. I can't even stand the smell of it.

I'm going to try to come up with a high protein low fat butternut squash soup recipe, maybe using greek yogurt and skim milk powder and milk to up the protein content.  Hopefully it will turn out OK.

I really liked pureed egg salad, made with lots of greek yogurt. I haven't tried any other kind of egg yet, and will have to wait a few weeks until I do.

I had very milky cream of wheat for breakfast.  I used 2/3 cup of milk to make it, and then after it was cooked, it got too thick so I poured 1/4 cup of vanilla premier protein over it and it was yummy.  It went down fine, and is OK on my full liquid diet, and hopefully was runny enough that it won't cause me pain later.  I thought I used skim milk but later found out it was 2% so am now worried about the sugar content, but it worked out to 15 grams of protein for the serving, which is great. I'll have to go out to get some skim milk later.

Good luck, I hope things get better for you.

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

Kathy  

leeann73
on 3/1/17 9:46 am

I was thinking about you Kathy and so glad you posted.  full fluids is better than clear fluids and at least there is some flavor.  Inflammation makes sense.  I am glad you were good yesterday with no pain.  xo

referral: early June 2016; surgery Feb 21, 2017

Kathy1212
on 3/1/17 11:04 am

Thank you, Leann.  How are you doing?

Life without that awful sharp pain is wonderful!

xoxo

Kathy  

kamac
on 3/1/17 12:58 pm
VSG on 07/09/18

Everyone's body is different, and everyone recuperates from a trauma like surgery at their own rate. If your pouch needs a little extra time, so be it. You'll just enjoy the purees that much more when the time comes!

Like everyone else, my eyes widened a little at the two ladies snacking on chips. A *****eeky doing that at a post-op WLS class of all places!

Hope your pain subsides soon, it can't be very fun.

Kara
Highest Weight: 420; Opti Starting Weight: 395; Surgery Weight: 371;
Current Weight: 322.1; Goal Weight: 160

"Find things beautiful as much as you can, most people find too little beautiful."
-Vincent Van Gogh

Kathy1212
on 3/1/17 3:59 pm

Thank you.  The pain is completely gone now that I'm back on full liquids .

Maybe the chips were protein chips, lol.

Kathy  

Manda32
on 3/1/17 9:05 pm

Sounds like you had a productive time at your center with all your appointments. Sounds like the nurse is on top of things.

It could be as simple as they said about being inflammation. We all heal at differently, and at different speeds. I wouldn't concern yourself with being 'behind'. I'm sure you'd love to be eating soft foods right now, but sounds like your body isn't quite ready for it. You will get there!!

I hope the pain you get with eating or after eating I should say goes away asap!!!

Wishing you all the best! Take care.

Kathy1212
on 3/2/17 5:31 am

Thanks, Manda. So far the pain has not come back. I can tolerate the full liquids (cottage cheese, yogurt, etc.) without a problem.

It's wonderful to not have that pain anymore.

Wishing you all the best as well!

Take care.

Kathy  

Most Active