HOW

tricia lynch
on 7/8/15 10:11 am - thorold, Canada

I have maybe a dumb question lol but dad always said no question is dumb unless it is a question not asked lol.. When you have surgery and you loose your weight how and what tells your body ok this is all your going to loose.. I'm 310  and goal is to get to 170 when my time comes but would love to get down to 140- 150 as i'm just 5 foot 3 (If that lol) i do not want to get to skinny just wondering how your body knows when to stop.. 

Helna_Handbasket
on 7/8/15 4:11 am, edited 7/8/15 4:12 am - OWEN SOUND, Canada

Not a dumb question at all - and I trust in what dads say.  

I am no scientist blah blah blah but here's what I think.  We all have a natural weight that is where our body is at it's healthiest.  It may not be an exact number, but I think it's more how you feel.  Are you happy?  Do you have more energy?  Are any health concerns that you had previously diminished?  Do you just feel good?  Know what I mean?  Once you get down to the size you seem to be maintaining, then you know your "base point" and can maintain and sustain the healthier lifestyle you've had the previous year or so to adapt to, then your body knows.  I hope that all makes sense :) 

Referral: August 2014 Orientation: 28Nov14 Social Worker: 05Feb15 Nurse Practitioner: 25Feb15 Nutrition Class: 30Mar15 Dietitian: 14Apr15 Psychologist: 21Apr15 NP followup: 23Apr15 Meet Surgeon: 26June15 Start Opti/PreOp: 21July15 Surgery!: 04Aug15!! 

I keep a blog... you're welcome to read it anytime :)  https://heretoeaternity.wordpress.com/

bonefish
on 7/9/15 7:41 pm

Agree with this 100%!

Look up "best weight", Dr Sharma and Dr Freedhoff talk about a lot. 

Patm
on 7/8/15 11:25 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

If you follow your plan there is no reason you could not get to the weight you wish to reach. What you will find that after the one year to eighteen month period your body will start to absorb all your calories. It then slows down loss. Keep in mind many people have a bounce back in maintenance.

I went to 140 (I am 5'5) but now maintain between 153 and 156

(deactivated member)
on 7/8/15 2:09 pm - Canada
RNY on 04/16/14

I think your body just knows.....I wanted to reach 170 originally, got to 156 then wanted to get to 148...(not gonna happen)   My body seems to think 156 is good and I am 1 yr 3 moths post op and have been at 156 for 6 months....

I think you can only lose so much.......

Karen M.
on 7/9/15 4:31 am - Mississauga, Canada

Not a dumb question, but a difficult one. The easy answer is that your body will stop losing when it's good and ready to stop and it'll take however long it takes.

Over time our bodies adjust to the small portions of food and become more efficient at absorbing (and retaining) nutrients/calories, which will slow or stop weight loss. If you stay completely "on plan" with your eating, there is really no reason that you can't continue to lose to where you would like to be. (I am also 5'3" and currently weigh 120 pounds, so your goal of 140-150 is completely doable. And I will also add I continued to lose into my 3rd year post-op, so don't hinge your final outcome solely on a "honeymoon period".)

Adjustments and tweaks to your daily menu will have to happen the farther out you get and most of it is trial and error to find balance.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

tricia lynch
on 7/9/15 8:40 pm - thorold, Canada

Wow thats kinda neat to hear i see what a person should averagely weight and when i saw how much i should weight i was like wow that is tiny. i sometimes forget i use to only weight 107 from high school uintil 18 or 19 then pcos kicks in and i lost weight for a bit not much but when i was under 130 everyone made fun of me saying how skinny i was i would love love love to be what it says but i will not be disappointed if not. growing up i always been on sport teams and ALWAYS  into my track. my dad would wake up everyday at 430 to take me out into the country to run (safer there from traffic) that is a passion i would love to get back into is my running. I will work my butt off :D

Laura in Texas
on 7/9/15 5:53 am

Except for height, our numbers are similar. I have gone from a high of 340 to maintaining at 140 at 7 years out. I worked damn hard to lose it and work even harder to maintain. In my 8 years here on OH, I have only read a handful of stories of people actually losing too much weight (some complain that they have lost too much but are still at a healthy weight). Many more people struggle to get to their goal weight and stay there than lose too much. We can eat more the further we get out. Focus on following your doctor's plan and learning healthy habits that will help you reach your goal and stay there.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

bonefish
on 7/9/15 7:38 pm

The weight loss has a lot more to do with metabolics than initially understood. Similar to why some people lose 20% of their body weight and some lose 50%. It's not just because the 50% people worked harder or exercised more (sometimes, of course). 

Staying 100% on plan doesn't guarantee somebody can get to any weight they want. How many people do we see here who can't break the final plateau no matter how hard they try? How many people have the dreaded bounce back weight after the first year. 

The body "defends" the highest weight and actively tries to get back to it. It's the set-point idea, and there is evidence for this. 

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa1105816

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23911805?dopt=Abstract

So, as much as food and exercise is important, it's a lot more complicated than just that. 

Most Active
Recent Topics