smoking

spooked
on 1/21/15 12:30 am

has anyone going through the process been a smoker?  if so have you been denied the surgery.  has anyone been tested and was till able to move on or were you denied?

TheNewT
on 1/21/15 1:14 am
VSG on 08/04/14

My surgeon in SC required you to be a non-smoker for 6 months. They did testing for nicotine the day of surgery. A fail with this test would have meant no surgery. 

I wasn't a smoker so I didn't have to quit. Maybe some others will respond to give insight into quitting.

Dreamy74
on 1/21/15 1:18 am
RNY on 02/04/15

Hi spooked.  At my orientation in May 2014 (I am out of Toronto Western Hospital or TWH) the facilitator told the group that you have to be smoke free for at least 6 months before surgery, and smoke free for 3 months before the next appointment.  This is standard across the board I believe.  They advised that they have a test that can be done for nicotine as well to test folks at any time during the process. 

I know smoking is so hard to quit, I have been there myself, although it was years ago (I quit when I was 22, am now 40), but there are now many newer options out there.  I don't want to sound preachy but perhaps you could make an appt. with your family doctor to discuss your options with help quitting?

I wish you good luck and all the best in your journey!  xo

It isn't easy being green - Kermit the Frog

(deactivated member)
on 1/21/15 1:44 am - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 10/20/14

Yes they do test for it, and the anesthesiologist will know if you're a smoker come surgery day, even if you happen to squeak by. It's their job to keep you breathing while under, smokers require different care, and react differently, it's dangerous to not be upfront. 

Good luck, I was a past smoker, I know how hard it can be to quit. But it's soooo worth it. 

(deactivated member)
on 1/21/15 3:53 am, edited 1/21/15 3:56 am

Try Nicobloc which is available at Rexal ,great 4 step process which gradually weins you off of being dependant of Nicotine and by the way its all natural

NorthernStar
on 1/21/15 4:23 am - London, Canada
RNY on 06/25/12

Different centres might have different policies, but generally you need to be smoke-free for at least 6 months when you begin the process. I have heard of people having their initial referral denied, with the caveat that they re-submit once they are smoke-free for 6 months. You won't be able to sneak by, they do test and your surgery team will know that you are smoking. Not to give you a lecture, but there is a higher risk for ulcers post-op if you are a smoker so it's very important that you are smoke-free.

It's good to ask about this now and seek out resources to help you quit if you are thinking about going ahead with this surgery. Best of luck to you! There are many ex-smokers here so I'm sure you will find lots of support if you decide to quit.

*Lindsey*

Keeping off 133 lbs since 2012!

Referral to Bariatric Registry: May 2011   /   Surgery (HRRH): June 25, 2012         

Hanneli xoxo
on 1/21/15 9:32 pm - Sudbury, Canada
RNY on 10/30/12

All centres have the same 6 months smoke free policy... not all test, though! I wasn't tested. and I had previously been a smoker. You'd think they would've. I was even asked the date of my last cigarette by the pshycologist and she made it very clear to me "you realize if its been less than 6 months I will have to defer you until it has been 6 months"  I quit for surgery. I quit shortly after referal abd by the time I had my orientations it was about 5 months (but it was 6 by the pshycologist appt!) Mind you, I have since restarted :( (I don't wanna hear about it, but I have even come clean with my bariatric centres team) 

Crackerno
on 1/21/15 7:15 am - Canada

I'm not a smoker but my husband does not in the house either but I have friends that do I tested positive for nicotine but not cotinine. The nurse told me I may be denied if I don't stop going to friends that smoke which is ridulous... I'm not a smoker and never have been and I don't think it is realistic of them to expect me to walk away from friends because they do!!! 

Drvn2skcede
on 1/22/15 2:14 am

Quitting smoking before a major elective surgery is pretty standard across the board.  I had to quit before I had my breast reduction surgery years ago as well, as did my SIL before she had an abdominal surgery.  Smoking can not only cause complications/difficulties for the anesthesiologist, but it can also cause complications with post-op healing.  Smokers just don't heal and recover as readily from surgery as non-smokers.  At the time I quit with the patch and zyban and I would recommend it for anyone else looking to quit.

Referral (OWMC): January 12, 2015; Orientation: April 20, 2015; Intake Nurse: Jul 8, 2015; Beh/Nut: Oct 20, 2015. Beh2: Nov 23, 2015; Nut2: Dec 15, 2015; Pre-Sx Class: January 22, 2016; Surgeon Appt: February 8, 2016; Surgery: March 9, 2016.

(deactivated member)
on 1/22/15 11:50 am - Orillia, Canada

Hey!

I was a smoker, but quit so I could go through this process, HRRH requires you to be smoke free for 6 months.  So I quit last year so I was more than 6 months quit.  It is so hard to quit, but honestly I feel better just from quitting.

Most Active