Mind blowing

melaniealbert_1978
on 1/20/15 10:36 pm - Oakville, Canada

I went to TWH yesterday for my social worker appointment  and my nurses appointment. I went in thinking I am 100% ready for the surgery. Than the reality sank in when I was talking with the social worker. I know this is what I want and have to do but there is still more stuff I need to do to prepare instead of jumping in with both feet.

Once we got talking she made me realize that maybe some personal counseling would be good for me before I have the surgery that way I can beat any demons that are hiding within me and learn copping strategies so I don't fail after surgery.

I was hoping to have the surgery as soon as humanely possible but now after talking with both of them I think I want to tap on the brakes a bit so when I do have the surgery I will succeed in the long run. I don't want to go thru all of this have the surgery and two years down the road and I back to point A again.

Time to start working on myself and learning how to cope with my mindless binge eating and I need to start now not do it after the surgery if I want this to work.

I have my nutrition class next week but we put the brakes on for three months so I can get some help on myself before we continue with any other appointments. I go back in April. Hopefully by then my mind is on the right track.

Referral sent- Sept 26 2014, Orientation (TWH)- November 12 2014, Sleep apnea test Nov 6 2014, Social worker- Jan 20 2015, Nurse Jan 20 2015, Nutrition -Jan 26 2015

Helna_Handbasket
on 1/20/15 10:46 pm - OWEN SOUND, Canada

I think you're smart to be so self-aware.  To me, shows that you are doing this for the right reasons, and realize there is more to it than just surgery.  You go at the speed that works for you.  Taking care of your whole self is so important.  Smart decisions.

Cheers :)

Referral: August 2014 Orientation: 28Nov14 Social Worker: 05Feb15 Nurse Practitioner: 25Feb15 Nutrition Class: 30Mar15 Dietitian: 14Apr15 Psychologist: 21Apr15 NP followup: 23Apr15 Meet Surgeon: 26June15 Start Opti/PreOp: 21July15 Surgery!: 04Aug15!! 

I keep a blog... you're welcome to read it anytime :)  https://heretoeaternity.wordpress.com/

Patm
on 1/20/15 11:02 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

You are really smart to do this. Having the surgery does not magically get rid of the reasons we became obese. I think this move will make you much more successful when you do have the surgery. Good luck.

Karen M.
on 1/20/15 11:16 pm - Mississauga, Canada

This is just about the most intelligent "pre-op/going through the process" post I have ever read.

KUDOS to you - YOU GET IT.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

(deactivated member)
on 1/20/15 11:20 pm - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 10/20/14

Good for you for being honest with yourself, and taking a step back to think everything over. I think that mindset shows a person who will succeed whatever path she chooses. This is a learning experience. I wish you the best with whatever your decision should be. Xo 

Dreamy74
on 1/20/15 11:46 pm
RNY on 02/04/15

Melanie you are AMAZING!  I just wanted to send you a BIG HUG!  Your self-awareness is inspiring!!  xoxo

It isn't easy being green - Kermit the Frog

lammytee14
on 1/21/15 1:00 am

Slow and steady wins the race. I'm proud of you for taking the time to understand everything and work on yourself instead of the "just get it done" approach. I can appreciate your mindset...I started the process in 2011 going at my pace...

kellybelly333
on 1/21/15 4:35 am - Toronto, Canada

VERY smart decision. Working on Mindful Eating is a great start. There are meditations out there that are really helpful. Good luck!

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

Gohopchick
on 1/21/15 5:35 am - United Kingdom

I did a year in the Binge Eating Disorder program at my local hospital (St. Joes in Hamilton) before I started the process towards surgery. Sooooooo glad I did it!  I feel like it will set me up for a much better outcome...

Most Active