Surgery After Surgery

Sandra L.
on 1/18/15 1:47 pm

Just a question how difficult is it to get breast surgery after an RNY?  I have been thinking about having breast reduction now because of the back aches. 

March 2014 Doctor sent referal, Orientation Humber Aug 2014, Surgeon Nov. 2014, Trio Appt. Feb 2015 - Request transfer to Guelph Mar. 2015 Orientation Guelph April 9th, 2015 Initial one-on-one May 5th, 2015. Trio Appt. Aug. 14th, 2nd Trio Oct. 16.  Nov. 20 Approved. , Meeting Surgeon Dec. 23.  Opti Fast Jan. 14th, Surgery Date:  Jan. 28th 2016

Nanato2
on 1/18/15 7:54 pm - Canada
VSG on 02/12/13

Not sure but our breast change after surgery so you may not need one.

Referral- March 2012, Letter April 19, Orientation TWH- June 6, NP - July 3, Sleep Apena test July 16, Internist and SW  - July 17, Nutritional class - July 23, Dietician appt. July 30th, Psych-Social appt - Aug 20th. Follow up with doctor sleep apena Aug. 28th  Surgeons appt. - Dec. 14th Dr. Jackson. Surgery date - Feb 12 2013 - VSG   

Dreamy74
on 1/18/15 11:23 pm
RNY on 02/04/15

Hi Sandra I had breast reduction surgery way back in 1996.  It was covered by OHIP but took about 10 to 12 months for me to get approval.  Back then (the good old days LOL) I was 5'5" and 150 pounds and my surgeon at the time made me lose a bit of weight and submitted the approval forms to OHIP.  I lost 10 pounds but was still the same cup size so he proceeded with the surgery.  Now I am 5'6" and 290 pounds and I could sure use another breast reduction (I am an H cup) but I am going to wait until I have lost all my weight after surgery and have maintained it for 6 months before I do any sort of plastic surgery.  Are you losing weight from your breasts yet after your surgery?

It isn't easy being green - Kermit the Frog

Sandra L.
on 1/19/15 1:34 am

I haven't had my surgery yet.  But have always been heavy on top even when I weighed less.  I;m at the point now that they are too large that I feel like I'm choking half the time.

March 2014 Doctor sent referal, Orientation Humber Aug 2014, Surgeon Nov. 2014, Trio Appt. Feb 2015 - Request transfer to Guelph Mar. 2015 Orientation Guelph April 9th, 2015 Initial one-on-one May 5th, 2015. Trio Appt. Aug. 14th, 2nd Trio Oct. 16.  Nov. 20 Approved. , Meeting Surgeon Dec. 23.  Opti Fast Jan. 14th, Surgery Date:  Jan. 28th 2016

Dreamy74
on 1/19/15 3:44 am
RNY on 02/04/15

So you're pre-surgery - I would suggest that you have your family doctor refer you to a plastic surgery who does OHIP patients too.  It can't hurt to get a consultation.  Just be sure to tell the plastic surgeon that you are going to be having WLS and see what s/he says. 

It isn't easy being green - Kermit the Frog

Mary A.
on 1/19/15 5:09 am

I don't know if a plastic surgeon could really chime in until weight loss has reached it's peak, I mean no one can visualize where the weight will disappear from and what will be left behind, that is why OHIP and (most) plastic surgeons ask that you maintain the weight loss for 6 months- 1 year before seeking plastic consultation, you may want to read through OHIP Appendix D (page 5)

http://www.health.gov.on.ca/english/providers/program/ohip/sob/physserv/append.pdf

prior to surgery 323lbs....4 years post-op maintaining between 108- 114 lb loss. 

life is AMAZING when you continue on the right path~!.  Use your surgeons gift to the fullest~!

Mary
surgery done in Duluth, MN

Mary A.
on 1/19/15 5:11 am
On January 18, 2015 at 9:47 PM Pacific Time, Sandra L. wrote:

Just a question how difficult is it to get breast surgery after an RNY?  I have been thinking about having breast reduction now because of the back aches. 

hopefully you are having those back aches documented by your family physician, because you will need to be able to prove that they are chronic if you want OHIP to consider covering some of the costs, also if there are any rashes that develop under the breasts that should be documented by a physician also...each of these helps solidify your case/need for reduction surgery.

prior to surgery 323lbs....4 years post-op maintaining between 108- 114 lb loss. 

life is AMAZING when you continue on the right path~!.  Use your surgeons gift to the fullest~!

Mary
surgery done in Duluth, MN

Most Active