3 years later. Long post

Patm
on 1/21/15 4:47 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

January 2nd is my 3 year Anniversary of my WLS Wow what an amazing journey. This has been a real life saver for me. I started the journey at 287lbs. I went down to 140 but could not maintain that. I am currently about 150

I am off Diabetic meds, off blood pressure meds. Cholesterol meds cut in half. My Afib is better under control. I seldom have attacks unless I over do it exercising. I still have sleep apnea but it has gone from extreme to very mild

Three years ago I could not walk more than a couple of blocks without great pain and shortness of breath. Stairs were a nightmare. I sometimes pushed myself to exhaustion. Now I walk everywhere and take the stairs as often as possible.

I biked previously but it was hard pushing all that weight. Even a small hill was impossible. Now I bike the 8.5 km to and from work in good weather. I have so much more energy and stamina.

What I would say to people waiting for surgery. Slow down and work on your issues now. Check out the post ‘Mind blowing’ by Melaniealbert. Most of us have reasons why we became obese. Whether it was eating for boredom, depression or because it was Tuesday. There was a reason. Explore this either on your own or with medical help. The bariatric centres are full of great psychologist and psychiatrists. I just had a great discussion with the dietitian about head hunger, mouth hunger and actual hunger.

Think about what you eat now. If you do not like meat or other sources of protein now you will not magically like them after surgery. Figure out how you will get your protein in. This is important for your health and healing. And start drinking more water.         

For post ops. The first year to a year and a half are your honeymoon stage. Use it to it’s full potential. Right now you have malabsorbsion. And you will never lose the weight this fast ever again.   You will have stalls. The first around 3-4 weeks but this will pass. Also this is your journey. How fast one person loses is not how fast you will lose.

Unfortunately I abused my body for so many years with weight that I now have arthritis and disintegrating discs.   I am currently exploring new pain relief options .        

Would I do this again. In a heart beat. I just wish I had done it years ago.                                          

Dreamy74
on 1/21/15 5:07 am
RNY on 02/04/15

What a beautiful post Patm and Happy Anniversary!  Congratulations on your wonderful success and accomplishments over the last 3 years!  xoxo

It isn't easy being green - Kermit the Frog

Karen M.
on 1/21/15 6:00 am - Mississauga, Canada

Happy 3 years, Pat! It was and continues to be such a privilege to watch your journey unfold, take turns, and continue on with great success. I am so incredibly happy for you and proud of you for all that you have accomplished.

My very best wishes for your continued success and lots and lots of love!

Karen

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Patm
on 1/21/15 6:21 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

Thanks Karen, Always enjoy hearing from you. Have to have a Pump house get together soon

birdiegirl
on 1/21/15 6:13 am

Hi Pat

Second time I have tried to post to you - keep losing my internet.

I am so glad you have stayed on OH with your common sense and can do attitude.  I am also amazed at the amount of activity you do every day.

For those newly post op and pre op - read Pat's message as there is wisdom in her words.

Congrats Pat on 3 successful years - hope we actually get to meet someday

Barb

Patm
on 1/21/15 6:20 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

Would love to meet. Your posts have helped me a lot in the last three years

(deactivated member)
on 1/21/15 6:15 am - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 10/20/14

Very inspiring post Patm! I still find everyday a conscious effort to make the right choices. It is not always easy. Thank you for sharing, and happy anniversary to you! 

Millie146
on 1/21/15 6:20 am - Canada

Congrats Pat

That's a beautiful testimony 

Millie...............MFP: millie0101

NewMe2.0
on 1/21/15 6:35 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 05/20/14

Congratulations Pat, and thank you for your post today.  I just wanted you to know that you are one of the vets I look up to on this forum, and I wish you continued success.

Your post resonated with me in a few ways-- that this is our individual journey..at the beginning of the process I was so consumed with having the surgery asap..which going through my clinic (Guelph) does not happen, and I learned to make it 'my journey' and that it would happen when it was meant to.  I am also in a huge stall, but reading your post just reaffirmed that everything takes time. 

We also started out at around the same weight, and have similar issues- I am only 48, but have deg.disc disease, osteo arthritis, and have fractured my back in 3 places...I wish I could give you a solution that will take the pain away, but I haven't found anything yet..even though massage and weekly chiropractic does help...But it is easier to manage being 100+ lbs lighter. 

And I just wanted to thank you again for being a positive and informative influence on this forum.

Vicky

• Referral:  Feb 2013/ Guelph  
  • RNY May 20th 2014 (Dr. Bhojani)                                                                         
  • 2nd RNY (revision due to marginal ulcers) Aug. 10th 2015 ( Dr. Bhojani)  
  • Revision to VSG (marginal ulcers): March 22nd 2016 (Hamilton, Dr. Hong)
  • Total Gastrectomy:  Dec. 15th 2016 (Hamilton, Dr. Hong)

Patm
on 1/21/15 9:54 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

Thank you. I hope the weight loss gives you some relief . It's funny I do not think of myself as a vet. I feel I am still learning more every day

Most Active