Sleep study

Luckyclover84
on 1/20/15 9:33 am - Canada

Just waiting to get all wired for my sleep study tonight!! Hoping it doesn't show sleep apnea! Had my psych appt today, just have dietician on Monday than will be waiting for surgeon appt!! Can't wait I am so ready!!! 

SW: 320, optifast: march 31/15 surgery: april 21/15 TEGH

bphilli2002
on 1/20/15 9:59 am

I have severe sleep apnea. I took my machine with me to hospital to be used in surgery if necessary and the evenings following in my room...3 weeks post surgery...we went to camp this past weekend..small one room cabin. Shared it with my husband and my son. Fell asleep without my CPAP machine...no complaints about my snoring...because I didn't! Sleeping well...WITHOUT...my machine....so possibly the sleep apnea is gone???? Hope so! 

Good luck with the sleep study tonight, and don't fret...surgery and the weight loss will alleviate the Apnea if you're diagnosed with it! 

bee28
on 1/20/15 10:06 am - Sarnia, Canada
RNY on 12/09/14

the dreaded sleep study... I would rather be poked with needles 10 times over than to have to do another sleep stupid.. I had to do 2 with without the machine and one with, I HATED IT! good luck though haha.

Cant-wait14
on 1/20/15 10:48 am - Canada

I was never sent for one

Hanneli xoxo
on 1/20/15 9:45 pm, edited 1/20/15 9:45 pm - Sudbury, Canada
RNY on 10/30/12

Not all need one. They do the STOP-BANG test (http://www.stopbang.ca/ a questionnaire) that tells them if you may or may not have sleep apnea.

Luckyclover84
on 1/20/15 7:31 pm - Canada

Sleep study done!! Nurse said there were no signs of sleep apnea!! Woo hoo!! Last appt on Monday with dietician than hopefully surgeon appt next!! Wow was weird sleeping all wired up though. And not everyone has to go for one, I snore loud and have a larger neck so it ticked all the right boxes to be sent for one!!

anniew72
on 1/20/15 8:58 pm

Be very carefull of what the nurse says to you because the technicians are the ones to study what they see in the computer. I was told by the nurse I did fine and had no sleep apnea , got a call from them to meet with the sleep Doctor to rewiew the study and was told I have mild sleep apnea.

You still have to meet with the sleep Doctor to review so take what she told you with a grain of salt.

northernga1
on 1/20/15 9:09 pm - Elliot Lake, Canada
On January 21, 2015 at 4:58 AM Pacific Time, anniew72 wrote:

Be very carefull of what the nurse says to you because the technicians are the ones to study what they see in the computer. I was told by the nurse I did fine and had no sleep apnea , got a call from them to meet with the sleep Doctor to rewiew the study and was told I have mild sleep apnea.

You still have to meet with the sleep Doctor to review so take what she told you with a grain of salt.

same thing happened to me, i have mild sleep apnea and didnt find out for 4 months til i seen the dr to review my study.  The dr himself had gastric bypass and was telling me most likely after surgery mine will be gone however because i stop breathing every 12 minutes (as soon as i hit REM i stop breathing) he highly suggested i treat my apnea because it could be over a year til i have surgery and i get horrible sleep.  Since i've been treating my apnea in September i have had the best sleep in years.

Referral Feb 14 2014; Orientation July 30 2014; 1 on 1's Feb 17, 2015; Pre op May 27 2015; Surgery date June 16, 2015

jennyboo202
on 1/20/15 10:48 pm - Canada
RNY on 08/14/15

It's always good to know.  I had a study done in 2005 and was fine.  With all the weight gain since then, I found out recently that I have mild sleep apnea.  Good news though, because when I went for the CPAP titration, it was the best sleep of my life.  That was on Friday and since, I have been longing for that machine back. 

The doctor told me that once I have surgery, it will go away.  Also, the technician told me that since I probably won't need to use one for long, I might be able to get a loaner machine (then I just have to worry about the mask and hose).  You might be able to as well if it comes down to it.

Also, if it is seen that you do have SA, if it is mild, you might be able to get away with a mouth guard that holds the airway open.  If you do have to get the machine, depending on your clinic, you will have to have your sleep doctor supply them with a CPAP compliance report (you use the machine for a few weeks and then bring it in to the sleep clinic and they download this information from the chip in the machine and provide it to your clinic, to show that you have been using it).  This is what the nurse practitioner told me yesterday. 

Ref. Apr 30/14, Orientation HRRH Aug 25/14, Transfer to TWH Oct 21/14, Sleep Study Nov 20/14, SW Nov 28/14, Nut. Class Dec 8/14, NP Dec 15/14, Psych. Jan 13/15, Nut. Jan 15/15, CPAP Titra Jan 16/15, NP F/U Jan 19/15, NP F/U2 Feb 24/15, NP F/U3 Mar 24/15, Surgeon May 29/15, Opti July 25/15, Pre-Op July 30/15, Surgery Aug 14/15

Luckyclover84
on 1/21/15 1:33 am - Canada

Thanks everyone for th input! They are having the doctor read the report on Monday so should find out than if anythig looks funky Keeping my fingers crossed!! 

Most Active