gaining weight after surgery

highlandbear
on 1/17/15 8:34 am - Canada

While out running today a person I was running with was telling me about her friend who had surgery and is 2 years out and starting to gain weight back. I asked if her friend is exercising and the reply was no and I was told how this person is starting to eat some of the wrong foods because her husband does not eat right. I could not help myself but said you tell your friend the next time she tries to blame the weight gain on her husband tell her that is bull. Each and everyone of us that has had this surgery becomes responsible for what we put into our mouth. Just because your husband and family make eat crap food does not mean you must and remember if you are the one who shops and cooks you don't need to bring the junk in all the time. Plus I hate to say it you must do some kind of exercise even if is walking. If you think you can sit around do nothing and not gain you are in for a surprise. If you find that you are gaining weight than take a look at yourself and figure out what you need to do to get back on track and take responsibility for oneself and don't blame others  

finallyfree2beme
on 1/17/15 9:57 am

I completely agree ! I shop and cook for the house, I have made some healthier choices when meal planning for my family but I cannot expect them to never indulge in treats. I am the only overweight person in my home and it is up to me to keep the junk food or treats out of my mouth! I feel great having lost 100 pounds in less than a year and still losing. I have 85 more to go and love my vegetables, protein and the odd nuts. No excuses, this is a tool, it is all in how we use it.

Patm
on 1/17/15 10:44 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

Nice to hear from you. Yes it is hard when people do not take responsibility for their success. It is really up to each of us to make sure we do what we need to succeed. After surgery it really is all about us. It is time to make ourselves accountable for our success. If you can't exercise that is fine but everyone needs to stick to their centres program. 

Blaming someone else for their failure is just an excuse

highlandbear
on 1/17/15 12:14 pm - Canada

I am back. Was going through some tough times just before Christmas. Had to put the cat down. Did not see this coming since he was between the ages of 7 and 8. Than a friend found out she has Breast Cancer so needed to take time and do some healing and caring

Patm
on 1/17/15 10:46 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

I am sorry. You have been through a lot. I hope you are feeling a little better. It does take time

Karen M.
on 1/18/15 7:31 pm - Mississauga, Canada

Sorry to hear you have been going through some rough spots, Barb, and very glad to see you posting! xo

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

(deactivated member)
on 1/17/15 10:13 pm - Canada
RNY on 04/16/14

I agree.  Exercise is essential and you can't blame what you eat on others.  My hubby eats really bad and we have separate food storage areas - as I would not touch his chips, beef jerky, salami, canned noodles if you paid me.  When we go out he wants fast food, I will take a salad.

When I told friends I was getting the surgery they told me stories of family that gained the weight.  I asked if they watched what they ate and exercised and the answer was always no.

highlandbear
on 1/18/15 3:04 am - Canada

Believe me my husband in no way eats right but I sure do not eat what he eats and it is ok with both of us. I can not force him to change but he respects the new me and supports me. If we go out to dinner he makes sure there is something there that I can have

elliecat
on 1/17/15 11:31 pm - Canada

Hi there I am just starting this journey to a healthier life!! And you are so right! I work for a Family Dr I have seen successes, and the failures, you have to exercise, eat right, have counselling, go to follow up appointments,   this is a gift, we have been given , the surgery is a tool to go along with all the other lifestyle changes. I am ready to get healthy, live longer and enjoy!!

Terri

Orientation HRRH Jan 26/15 Meet Dr. Starr June 11/15 Sleep Study June 22/15 Trio appt Aug 12/15 Transfer to Dr. Hagen Aug 4/15, Meet Dr. Hagen Aug 13/15, Dr. Glazer Aug 14/15! Surgery Sept 14/15

Laura in Texas
on 1/17/15 11:54 pm

I believe staying ACTIVE is essential, but formal exercise is not. There are many of us here on OH who manage to stay at goal without exercise. I believe 90% of maintaining a normal weight is what we eat. You cannot out-exercise a bad diet.

I agree that personal responsibility is essential. Not just in regards to weight, but life in general.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Most Active