How often are surgery dates cancelled

Cant-wait14
on 1/17/15 5:50 am - Canada

I am wondering how often they give you a date for surgery, you get the 'off work letter' and start the OPTI and then the surgery is cancelled or delayed?

I was told that at this point I am the first one on the OP schedule on January 29th, 2015 and my time might change. I took that to mean it would be later the same day

Any insight would be great

Thanks in advance.

Mary A.
on 1/19/15 5:01 am

I think no one can truthfully answer this because the variations of this answer are as vast as the colours at a pint store.

It wasn't my bariatric surgery..but two years ago I sat with an IV in my arm for 3 hrs only to have the surgeon come out 2 hrs after I was scheduled and tell me "it won't happen today as they woman ahead of you had some complications and it took longer than anticipated"

So it could be an emergency, a longer than usual surgery, an ill doctor or and emergency surgery at night that would push the morning OR times a bit back.  Try not to worry it all works out in the end

prior to surgery 323lbs....4 years post-op maintaining between 108- 114 lb loss. 

life is AMAZING when you continue on the right path~!.  Use your surgeons gift to the fullest~!

Mary
surgery done in Duluth, MN

PWA93
on 1/20/15 11:49 pm - Canada
RNY on 02/02/12

My date was changed twice.  Moved up a month and told to start Opti.  I was supposed to do Opti for 3 weeks but then they called on Friday of second week and said are you okay with Monday.  So I only had 2 weeks on Opti then surgery.

Most Active