Protein shakes - 1 yr or more post op

(deactivated member)
on 1/17/15 5:42 am - Canada
RNY on 04/16/14

I have a questions as I often read about protein shakes being taken and it seems like it is by some of you who may be many years post op.  At 9 months post op I have no issues reaching my protein of 66 grams a day.  

I was just curious if some of you have trouble at 1 year or more post op with protein and/or it is a choice you make to cut calories and get the protein?

I am asking because I have not lost a pound since early December and seem to be stalled at 165 and was wondering if maybe I need to cut out a meal and replace it with a shake to get the weight loss going again.

Thank you,

Kelly

alysan
on 1/17/15 7:03 am - Canada

I am the same way right now.  I am 11 months post op and have stalled....I am up a lb then down a lb...teeter tottering I guess you would say. 

Plus I am always hungry at this point.  I drink lots of water/tea/coffee (decaf) but still so hungry. 

I have about 5 lbs to go to my goal of 145 but wanted to get below it by a few lbs so I can have leeway when I introduce the maintenance plan. 

Frustrating!!!

Referral: Feb. 14, 2013; Orientation: May 16, 2013: 1st RN/NUT/SW appt: May 28, 2013; 2nd RN/NUT/SW appt: July 31, 2013; Dr. Agarwal (internist): Aug. 6, 2013; Post Op Class: Nov. 25 2013; Dr. Reed: Dec. 17, 2013; Surgery: February 13,2014

(deactivated member)
on 1/17/15 9:04 pm - Canada
RNY on 04/16/14

This helps as I am getting frustrated.  I have increased working out and eating really good but can't get below 165.  I want to get to 150 so I have 15 pounds to go as ultimately I want to finish at a size 8 or 160 pounds which I think is a weight I can maintain long term and I understand we gain back about ten pounds long term.  

Perhaps this is another one of those stalls.  right after surgery I had a two month stall so I keel hoping it is the same, but really I would at least like to go down a pound or two a month  :)

Hang in there and I hope you start to lose again soon.

Kelly

Patm
on 1/17/15 10:35 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

Unfortunately the closer to goal we get the slower it is. If you do not need shakes then do not go to them. I seldom have them now. Some people use them for breakfast but not as weight loss just convenience,  Track your calories and see where you are. Also make sue you are measuring and have not upped you amounts of meals. Good luck

Onward and
Downward

on 1/17/15 9:19 pm - Canada
RNY on 11/07/12

I was advised by the dietitian not to depend on them after I didn't have to anymore, and I don't. But I also wouldn't mind starting to drink them once in a while again, not just for convenience, but also as a way of kind of trying to get back to old habits from just after surgery when I was losing. I don't necessarily feel like I need to lose at this point (although if it just sort of happened, I'd be okay with it!), but I would like some of the old eating habits back. I feel like working a protein shake into my day can't hurt. 

Now that Karen's managed to get us vanilla ones at Costco...woo hoo! :)

Referral to registry: Oct 21, 2011    Orientation (TWH): Feb 22, 2012     Surgery: Nov 7, 2012

Come to Toronto East End Coffee Nights! Click here for details.

Mary A.
on 1/19/15 4:44 am

I don't depend on them anymore and haven't for about 4+ years.  I am 6 yrs post-op, HOWEVER that being said there are times when the family is eating something I just can't have like chicken balls etc, so I may opt for a shake.

I also have (1) scoop of protein in my morning decaf coffee, because I don't sit and eat a traditional breakfast.

Protein is also good to pack in bags if you are travelling to somewhere when you don't know if you will be able to find items that will fit within your dietary restrictions/guidelines

prior to surgery 323lbs....4 years post-op maintaining between 108- 114 lb loss. 

life is AMAZING when you continue on the right path~!.  Use your surgeons gift to the fullest~!

Mary
surgery done in Duluth, MN

kellybelly333
on 1/19/15 10:12 pm - Toronto, Canada

I try to get 100gr of protein daily, and sometimes will have it in my coffee. I am a long-distance runner, so I need more protein and that is sometimes the only way to get it all in. But generally speaking, I can still get my 100gr with food. I like meat, thank god!!

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

Most Active