Short Term Disability

Jenn K.
on 1/13/15 4:01 am - Canada

hi everyone! 

Just curious if if any of you had issues using your short term disability while being off for surgery. 

I am in the process of waiting for my benefits carrier to respond as to if they will cover me to be off due to gastric bypass. 

How was your experience with collecting short term disability? 

Thanks,

Jenn 

1HealthyMomma
on 1/13/15 6:15 am - Oshawa, Canada
RNY on 10/07/14

I was off for 6 weeks and just applied for EI. I don't have benefits. That was really my only option. There was a 2 week waiting period and then they paid me for 4 weeks. Best wishes with this journey.

Take Care

Lisa

Laparoscopic Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass On October 7,2014 with Dr. Hagen   

Cant-wait14
on 1/13/15 7:29 am - Canada

I have a number of sick days (100) and am able to use what I need from that. Dr. has given me a note for 7 days off after surgery. That will bring me almost to the end of March and I still have some 2014 vacation days to use so hoping to add on a week.

Patm
on 1/13/15 8:11 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

I am surprised your doctor only gave you 7 days. Most give at least three weeks. After only one week you will till be tired. I would ask your surgeon for more days

Cant-wait14
on 1/14/15 10:11 am - Canada

Sorry there is an error in my post (above) it should read 7 Weeks not 7  days

Hanneli xoxo
on 1/14/15 10:16 pm - Sudbury, Canada
RNY on 10/30/12

every single company's rules are different. I work for Rogers and I got STD and because this is an OHIP covered surgery it was !00% covered by my full pay for the first 30 days off. I took 3 weeks and tacked on a left over weeks vacay as well (because surgery was October 30, might as well use it up so close to the end of the year!) Even though this is an "elective" surgery, it should be covered.. when you think about it, most surgeries are "elective" you don't HAVE to get a heart bypass, or knee replacement, you elect to do it ;) 

Laurie_L
on 1/13/15 10:40 am - Canada
RNY on 11/07/14

My surgeon said 4 weeks off.  Had a note from my surgeon that I submitted to my work place.. completed paper work and short term was approved no problem.  Manulife is who we use at my place of employment

Surgery Date: November 7, 2014 - Dr. Yelle, Ottawa - HW:298 SW: 275.4

bphilli2002
on 1/13/15 7:48 pm

My surgeon said 4-6 weeks off...no problem with my short term disability...have to send in forms from Dr. in regards to modifications if necessary...confirm time off and return to work date...So far so good...I've been off for 2 wks. My surgery date was Dec. 30th

Most Active