Soooo many questions!

Dreamy74
on 1/13/15 1:39 am
RNY on 02/04/15

As I have posted before, I have finished all of my appointments at TWH save and except for the first appointment with the surgeon which is SQUEEEEEEEEEE‼‼ this Friday!  I am so excited.  I have so many random questions swirling around in my head though for all of the post-WLS people out here.  Please excuse my giddiness and my inquisitive nature, I just can’t help myself!

1. What can I expect to happen at the surgeon’s appointment? (Will I likely get my surgery date?)
  2. Which was worse for you  – Opti or the actual surgical procedure (pain, gas, etc.)?
  3. Is the post-surgery gas as bad as people say?
  4. Has your sex life improved since surgery?
  5. If you were sweaty before (like me) did your sweatiness improve after you started losing weight? (I am always overheated – and I blame my weight).
  6. If you have PCOS like me, how long after surgery did it take for you to notice a reduction in symptoms?
  7. When did your hair loss start and when did it end? 
  8. If you have sleep apnea (like I do) how long after surgery did it take for you to be “cured”?
  9. Did you prefer vanilla Opti or chocolate Opti?
  10. What is your proudest non-scale victory so far?

I would love to hear you replies to any or all of the above.  Thanks for reading and hope to hear from you soon!

Dreamy  xxoo

Mazey_x
on 1/13/15 1:47 am - Peterborough, Canada
VSG on 08/19/14

So exciting! 

The surgeon's appointment at TWH is just talking with the surgeon and understanding the procedure..it's a pretty simple appt.  You should get your date that day.

Neither for me were terrible.  I didn't mind the chocolate opti as long as it was REALLY cold...tasted like chocolate milk.  Right after surgery was the worst for me, but I slept that whole day.

I didn't have any gas at all.

Sex before was great...sex now is 100 fold what it used to be!

I don't sweat so this doesn't apply lol

My hair started falling out at month 3.5..I'm only 4.5 now and it's still falling out at a steady pace lol

Chocolate FOR SURE!

The thing I was most excited about that I never even thought of was being able to get a towel all the around me!  And my vanity got the best of me when I was able to buy Lululemon pants that were 3 sizes less then the biggest they carry lol...

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

1. Referal: Aug 17th 2011            Orientation:Nov ,2011 Nurse Practitioner: Dec 22nd 2011   Social Worker: Dec 22nd 2011 Nutrition Class: April 3rd, 2012       Dietitian:April 3rd, 2012 Psychologist:April 2nd, 2012    
  2. Follow up Dietitian: November 16th 2012  Follow up Psychologist: August 28th 2012     Surgeon Meeting:Feb 17, 2012     2nd Surgeon Meeting: April 2014         VSG Surgery Date: Aug 19th 2014
Northernlightsmom
on 1/13/15 1:48 am - Canada

1. We went over the complications, type of surgery, and payment for opti ***I did get my Patts appointment and surgery date

2. Opti was by far the hardest for me

3. I had no issues with post op gas

4. Yes ;)

5 Yes. I don't sweat very much anymore which has been great. However I now am always freezing.

6. N/A

7. It started for me around the third to fourth month and ended around the 8th month. 

8. N/A

9. I bought all vanilla so there was the option to make it into chocolate.

10. Knowing I've done all I can to be there in the future for my family.

Good luck on Friday!

RNY Surgery February 10th, 2014

Catw
on 1/13/15 2:27 am, edited 1/13/15 2:34 am - Arnprior, Canada

What can I expect to happen at the surgeon’s appointment? (Will I likely get my surgery date?)
       We went over the surgery, what it entails and the risks.  Ottawa calls the first week of the month for the following month
Which was worse for you  – Opti or the actual surgical procedure (pain, gas, etc.)?
       I didn't have any problems with either.  There are things you can get for the gas (Gas-X strips, papaya enxyme etc, use a ho****er bottle, walk)
Is the post-surgery gas as bad as people say?
     Not everyone has problems.  There may be some pressure due to the air they put in you for surgery.
Has your sex life improved since surgery?
     That's another story.
If you were sweaty before (like me) did your sweatiness improve after you started losing weight? (I am always overheated – and I blame my weight).
    Yes, you will get colder easier.
If you have PCOS like me, how long after surgery did it take for you to notice a reduction in symptoms?
    NA
When did your hair loss start and when did it end?
     I have hair loss for that and other reasons so was losing it before and still.
If you have sleep apnea (like I do) how long after surgery did it take for you to be “cured”?
     NA
Did you prefer vanilla Opti or chocolate Opti?
     I had chocolate with no problems at all.  Didn't know about adding stuff though.
What is your proudest non-scale victory so far?
    Skating with my boys at 4 months out and outlasting them on the ice, no foot pain.

Cathy

TES
on 1/13/15 3:43 am - Ottawa, Canada
  1. My surgeon went over all the risks and what will happen after the surgery.  I didn't get my date at that time (I went through Ottawa), it was a few weeks later.
  2. The surgery was a piece of cake.  Optifast was hell on earth.
  3. I didn't suffer much with gas.  My roommate sure did though - It varies by person.
  4. Oh hells yes!
  5. Before surgery I couldn't wear long sleeves or heavy sweaters. I was always over heated (felt like I was constantly boiling from the inside out) and sweat like crazy.  Six months later, I only sweat when I'm exercising and I can wear cute sweaters and I actually get COLD!  I much prefer being cold to being overheated all the time.
  6. N/A
  7. I started noticing it around month 3 or 4 and I'm still in the middle of it (I'm 6 months post-op).  It's frustrating, but it could be so much worse. 
  8. N/A
  9. I only had vanilla and it was horrible.  Some people didn't mind either, but I'm afraid I hated every mouthful.
  10. Fitting into an airplane seat AND being able to lower the table tray. :)

TES

Seyenna
on 1/13/15 3:50 am - Welland, Canada
RNY on 12/16/14

I'm a baby post-op so some of these do not apply.

1. What can I expect to happen at the surgeon’s appointment? (Will I likely get my surgery date?) - HRRH was backed up so I had to wait longer, about 6 weeks I think?
  2. Is the post-surgery gas as bad as people say? I never had gas thankfully
  3. Did you prefer vanilla Opti or chocolate Opti? I didn't do Opti. Premier Protein is better, calorie for calorie. Less carbs, more protein, better tasting and cheaper. I took the 200 dollars I saved and put it to better use.
  4. What is your proudest non-scale victory so far? I bought a winter jacket last year and it was so tight that I would take it off and throw it in my back seat when I drove. I can now sit down with it on AND do up my seatbelt over it! WOO

Referral - Feb 25th, 2014. Info Session - April 7th 
Surgeon#1 - May 15th  Dr. Glazer - July 23rd, Dietitian/Social Worker/RN - Aug 1st, Surgeon #2 - Sept 10th, Surgery - Dec 16th, 2014!

kimmygirl180
on 1/13/15 11:12 pm - Canada
RNY on 03/02/16

Hi Seyenna, 

I am also going through HRRH (although they are very backed up) and just wanted to know how you did the Premier Protein instead of the Opti.  Did you just tell them that you were not going to buy the Opti?  Just curious as I would like to go this route instead of the Opti.  

Thanks,

Kim  

Seyenna
on 1/14/15 5:23 am - Welland, Canada
RNY on 12/16/14

I told them that I bought the Opti from a friend and lost 26 lbs on it

Referral - Feb 25th, 2014. Info Session - April 7th 
Surgeon#1 - May 15th  Dr. Glazer - July 23rd, Dietitian/Social Worker/RN - Aug 1st, Surgeon #2 - Sept 10th, Surgery - Dec 16th, 2014!

(deactivated member)
on 1/13/15 4:08 am - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 10/20/14

OK I will answer what I can, in regards to my experience!

YES, You will get your surgery date!

I did not experience gas pain post op!

My sex drive has always been high, but I have found it increasing post op. I haven't had sex since the surgery, but the sex drive, it is ALIVE. (OK, feeling like a pervert now 

I had sweat problems, even in cold weather, NOW, NONE! I don't sweat at all it seems.

NO PCOS, so no advice there.

Mine is thinning now, at about 11 weeks post op. I wear luxy clip in to give it more volume. Google luxy hair if interested. No one can even notice.

I do not have sleep apnea, so no advice there.

Unlike many, I prefer vanilla, I found more options with it. Although I mixed it with coffee 90% of the time.

Proudest non scale victory is my NEW zest for life. I no longer want to sit in the house. I want to meet new people. I want to be involved in things. I am finally able bodied to participate in things. I feel so much more alive. 

Good luck xoxox

Most Active