Loosing control

Zmimshen
on 1/9/15 12:01 am - Canada
RNY on 01/15/13

Hi All, 

I am almost 2 ears out to the day and have been feeling a total loss of control over my eating in the last couple of months. I guess some emotional issues combined with the holiday season have taken their toll.

I have gained about 4-5 lbs. and am starting to freak out. So I am back on this forum trying to get inspired by all you amazing people doing an amazing job.

As I am trying to get back to eating healthy and getting my eating under control I have considered going back to drinking 3-4 shakes a day for a week and then dropping one and adding a meal.

Thoughts? pros? cons? any other suggestions?

Happy New-Year to you all!

Orientation: Apr. 3, 2012; SW&NP: May 29, 2012; Nutrition class: June 19, 2012; Nutritionist: Aug. 29, 2012; Surgeon: Nov. 9, 2012; Surgery date:January 15, 2013; Highest weight: 357     Start of Opti weight: 338.6     Surgery Weight: 322.4   

Needanewbeginning
on 1/9/15 12:43 am - Barrie, Canada
RNY on 05/21/13

Yup, maintenance is hard. Try tracking everything, I mean everything that passes your lips. I am doing the same, I can't let all this work slip now.

Annette 

Starting weight: 334 lbs.Starting opti weight: 323 lbs, Surgery weight 303 lbs.Surgery-May 21st, 2013 with Dr Hagen at HRRH Goal weight 165 lbs reached at 13 months. Current weight 156 lbs

Zmimshen
on 1/9/15 12:45 am - Canada
RNY on 01/15/13

I know.... it is so frustrating to think that we get this amazing tool only to mess it up 2 years later.

I was already at 157.5lbs and now I'm around 162 and I am scared to death.

Got to regroup and take charge!

Orientation: Apr. 3, 2012; SW&NP: May 29, 2012; Nutrition class: June 19, 2012; Nutritionist: Aug. 29, 2012; Surgeon: Nov. 9, 2012; Surgery date:January 15, 2013; Highest weight: 357     Start of Opti weight: 338.6     Surgery Weight: 322.4   

Catw
on 1/9/15 12:45 am - Arnprior, Canada

You could try the 5 Day Pouch Test if you are going to shakes.  It's basically the whole process squished into 5 days.  Some do it to curb carb and sugar cravings.

It would probably wiser to just go back to basics.  Start back to journaling, measuring, drinking rules etc. again.  Eat your protein first, then veggies then starch.  Eating slowly.

After you start journaling, you'll see things you'll want to change.  Start changing them one at a time, taking on too much is harder to do and harder to maintain.

If some of the causes are emotional/stress maybe contact your clinic to talk to someone about it, to find other ways to deal with that kind of stuff.

I wish you luck on your journey,

Cathy

Zmimshen
on 1/9/15 12:51 am - Canada
RNY on 01/15/13

Hi Cathy,

Thanks for the tips. I have pretty much given up on the TWH program as when I was in dire need (and believe me 4 months into it I had a big mess happen in my life) and basically got turned down to any help I asked for.

I have to relay on myself and you guys are a great help too!

Catw
on 1/9/15 1:38 am - Arnprior, Canada

Sorry to hear you had a hard time with TWH (I'm out of Ottawa).  Maybe your GP could refer you to something that could help.  I know my small town has a few things available, all you can do is ask.

Cathy

Patm
on 1/9/15 2:30 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

TWH has a new program called Mindful Eating. I have heard good things about it. I am starting in a couple of weeks.

northernga1
on 1/9/15 3:06 am - Elliot Lake, Canada

i am still pre op and live in northern ontario my local doctors office has a work shop called " craving change " i found it really helped me understand why we eat the way we do.  I would look into it and see if your local dr's office has these workshops.

Referral Feb 14 2014; Orientation July 30 2014; 1 on 1's Feb 17, 2015; Pre op May 27 2015; Surgery date June 16, 2015

merry1
on 1/9/15 5:44 am - Canada

I posted the same complaint a few weeks ago!  this week I was back to work with a regular routine and I have gone straight back to basics.  I have done pretty good this week and down a shade over 3 pounds.  so all I can say is start over and when you have to, start over again, keep tracking, it makes a huge difference. you caught it early that's half the battle!

Diminishing Dawn
on 1/10/15 4:59 am - Windsor, Canada

You are absolutely normal.  I dare say that this happens somewhere between the 2-3 year out mark for most of us.  The high is gone, real life is here and it's just you and food.

Journalling is the #1.  Write down everything that passes your lips.

Focus on eating from the outsides of the supermarket.  More protein first. Dense protein is your best friend.  Watch for all the "treats" that we convince ourselves are okay.  We are often good at rationalizing treats every day...and well then it's a habit and not a treat anymore.

Stop drinking with meals.  Most of us get back to that nasty habit at some time. 

I personally don't do anything radical anymore.  I'm not a fan of the 5dpt.  I just find it too prescriptive. I instead focus on my choices and habits and work to make protein and non starchy veggies a priority.  90% of the loss is through nutrition.  Then I add in water, and moving.  Find a support system - whether a coffee group, mentor or support group :) 

Good luck.

Dawn

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

Most Active