Benefibre?

Dreamy74
on 1/12/15 1:33 am
RNY on 02/04/15

Have any of you post-WLS used benefibre?  I am really nervous about when I go on opti as I will likely be constipated and of course after surgery because I will be eating so little.  Have thought about buying Benefibre and adding it to my beverages... can anyone ring in and offer their experience/suggestions?

Looking forward to hearing from you! 

Loaf
on 1/12/15 1:55 am - Canada
VSG on 10/31/14

The Benefiber.  I use it every day.  I am 2 months Post op and my i still am not regular without it.

as for while you are on OPTI.  I would not fret about it... most of us on here have had the "Opti-Trots"   Liquid in Liquid out.....

it starts about day 3

lexxiblue
on 1/12/15 6:57 pm
RNY on 01/11/12

my "bowel movement of choice" was and still is periodically after 3 years out.. RESTORALAX (mirolax in the states).... nothing else can beat it for me!! and i took many many different things to keep regular! works the same as benefiber... just "blasts the crap out"... pardon the pun! good luck!!! cuz you will get constipated.... trust me!! i believe (IN MY OPINION) we all do!

msmuggins
on 1/12/15 2:03 am - Canada
RNY on 01/05/15

I used Benefibre in my Optis (not every shake but the one I drank first in the morning). I was never constipated (sometimes had the opposite reaction ).

Right after surgery they give you stool softener a while you are in the hospital and prescribe a laxative and stool softeners for when you go home). Again, I had the opposite problem when I was in the hospital, and I've ended up taking half the dosage of both at home because half seems to be perfect.  I've been having almost textbook BMs since Day 6 post-op.  The post-op constipation can be more likely if you had a lot of pain meds in the hospital and if you use the prescription pain meds they send you home with.  I was lucky to not have to use as much pain meds in the hospital and none when I returned home.  This might be different for you.  The docs won't let you go home without explaining all this, and they can let you know when the best time would be for working Benefibre in post-op (although I'd guess that would be after you stop taking the laxatives and stool softeners). 

~ Per aspera ad astra ☆彡 

Ipatton
on 1/12/15 2:04 am - Canada

I use Benifiber everyday and have had no issues, alternatively you could go to the bulk barn and grab some psyllium fiber, it doesn't mix as well but will work too, I used the bulk barn stuff in my opti shakes and I avoided the opti trots for the most part, not sure if that was the reason or if I was just lucky

Ipatton
on 1/12/15 2:04 am - Canada

I use Benifiber everyday and have had no issues, alternatively you could go to the bulk barn and grab some psyllium fiber, it doesn't mix as well but will work too, I used the bulk barn stuff in my opti shakes and I avoided the opti trots for the most part, not sure if that was the reason or if I was just lucky

Charms112
on 1/12/15 2:44 am - Canada

My nurse told me to get senokot to take while on opti and post surgery. I didn't start taking senokot until 3 days post op...the pills didn't bother me. They helped move things along, and still does. 

All the best on your up coming surgery!

Referral sent: April 17th 2014.  HRRH gave me my Orientation date:  June 19th 2014. Orientation: July 10th 2014. Received my first surgeon's appointment: August 25th 2014.  Surgeon's appointment scheduled: September 12th 2014. Dietitian and Social Worker and Dr. Glazer: October 6th 2014.  Nurse: October 7th 2014. Surgeon appointment October 22, 2014.  Surgery scheduled: December 19, 2014

Needanewbeginning
on 1/12/15 3:06 am - Barrie, Canada
RNY on 05/21/13

I use and have used clearly fibre. Its a no name type brand of Inulin fibre and it's very safe to use. It's the only fibre additive we are permitted to use at our centre because the other fibre like Metamucil bind and cand be dangerous for wls post ops.

You may find while on opti your the opposite and have what some call the opti trots! 😁

Good to have this on hand though.

Annette 👍

Starting weight: 334 lbs.Starting opti weight: 323 lbs, Surgery weight 303 lbs.Surgery-May 21st, 2013 with Dr Hagen at HRRH Goal weight 165 lbs reached at 13 months. Current weight 156 lbs

Most Active