HRRH - Nutritionist, Nurse Practitioner & SW appointment - Help :)

Amanda F.
on 1/10/15 11:34 pm - Oshawa, Canada

Hello, 

I have these three appointments tomorrow and I need a little bit of help. I posted this earlier but I have been recently separated from my fiance over Christmas and had to move very quickly. I remember at the meeting with Doctor Starr they gave a bag that had to be filled out by the pharmacy before your appointments. I think my ex threw it out. I was wondering what that bag was for. Is it for the pharmacy to fill out the prescriptions I am on currently. If anyone knows this information and can let me know I would greatly appreciate it.

Hollynik
on 1/11/15 12:44 am - Canada

Amanda,  You need to put all medication and supplements that you are taking in a bag (even a ziploc) and take it with you to your appointments.  One of the three will add everything you are on to the computer for your file.

Amanda F.
on 1/11/15 5:32 am - Oshawa, Canada

Thank you Holly. This is a relief! I was so worried that I would be missing something for tomorrow. 

Pegasus_AM
on 1/11/15 3:54 am

Hi there, I just had my appointments December 15th/2015. They wants all medications that you take on a daily basis be it vitamins/minerals/prescriptions or over the counter medications all of it. The Nurse will go over all of it with you and let you know which ones you need to stop taking/increase or make an appointment with your doctor to change. For Example I take Arthrotec for Arthritis and she advised me to make an appointment with my physician to have it change to a medication that is more acceptable for my post-op pouch. She also discussed my vitamins/minerals and advised me which ones I should increase r decrease or stop all together. She also discussed all the medications I will be required to purchase post-op Prevacid for at least 6 months and Heparin injections for 8 days post-op, bowel treatments for post-op and she weight me, took my temp/blood pressure, pulse, etc..

Then I met with the Dietitian and she asked a lot of questions about my diet and changes I have been trying to make pre-op that will benefit me post-op. She also asked a lot of questions about the surgery itself and the changes i have to make to my lifestyle post-op in order to prevent complications and be successful. You really need know what the surgery entails, dietary changes that are a must post-op, etc... You basically need to know your orientation package inside and out.

The Social Worker focused on my emotional eating and changes I have made to deal with it she also asked a lot of the questions the Dietitian did as well. She focuses on your mental preparedness for the post-op challenges to be sure you will be able to handle them or at least have plans and support to help you overcome these challenges successfully.

Good-Luck tomorrow :-)

Referral May 14th/14, HRRH Orientation Aug/18th/14, Surgeon (Dr.Starr) Appt Nov/28th/14, Clinic Nurse,Social Worker, Dietitian Dec/15th/14, Dr.Glazer Feb/5th/15, OptiFast Feb/16th/15, PATTS Feb/17th/15, Surgery March 2nd/15 HW 230, SW 202, CW 130

Sandra L.
on 1/11/15 4:53 am

Is it a good idea to have a support person come with you?

March 2014 Doctor sent referal, Orientation Humber Aug 2014, Surgeon Nov. 2014, Trio Appt. Feb 2015 - Request transfer to Guelph Mar. 2015 Orientation Guelph April 9th, 2015 Initial one-on-one May 5th, 2015. Trio Appt. Aug. 14th, 2nd Trio Oct. 16.  Nov. 20 Approved. , Meeting Surgeon Dec. 23.  Opti Fast Jan. 14th, Surgery Date:  Jan. 28th 2016

Amanda F.
on 1/11/15 5:31 am - Oshawa, Canada

Thank you very much for your guidance I really appreciate it. I hope I have prepared myself enough for tomorrow. I am nervous but grateful for all the support on this forum. 

(deactivated member)
on 1/11/15 7:39 am - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 10/20/14

Good luck. You'll be fine! I know what it's like to be nervous, and answer all their questions /being examined, just be yourself, honest, and try to not worry. 

Carmela V.
on 1/11/15 7:56 am - Whitby, Canada
RNY on 01/30/15

You will also need a 3 day meal plan Eg.  What you eat and how you felt during those meals 

Referral sent Mar. 28, 2014, Orientation July 10, 2014, Surgeon Consultation Sept. 12, 2014, Internist Dr. Glazier Oct. 6, 2014, Sleep Test Oct.17, 2014,  RD Nov. 24, 2014, SW Nov. 24, 2014, RN Nov. 24, 2014, Dr. Sohi (2nd appt.) Dec. 2, 2014, Dr. Glazier (2nd Appt.) Dec. 16, 2014, Surgery day  - HRRH Jan. 30, 2015. HW 309, Opti Starting Weight 305, SW 288, Operating Surgeon Dr. Starr

Most Active