what if syndrome

caramilk016
on 1/10/15 12:50 pm - Mississauga , Canada
RNY on 10/22/14

This is normal. Up until my day of surgery, I played the What IF game, and the DO I REALLY WANT TO DO THIS... the answer is YES..

In 2012/2013 I was so heavy I almost killed myself from obesity. I ended up with a staph infection in the entire right side of my body. It was that bad. I weighed almost 600 lbs.. I have no idea how I survived. I lost about 250 lbs within 9 months... By the time I had surgery I had regained 50 lbs.. I knew I had to do it, or risk getting that big again.

So my answer is WHAT IF you don't have the surgery, and you die?

I told the Psychiatrist during the process that If I have the surgery and I fail at it, at least I had the surgery.. But if I don't have the surgery, I'm always going to ask myself WHAT IF I Had it, Why didn't I have it... and I'd probably be dead by the age of 50 (I'm 44 now)

To me, the only answer was to have it. It's a big adjustment but one I would do all over again. 

But ultimately the decision is yours. What got you to the point of surgery? How do you see yourself if you have the surgery? How do you see yourself if you don't have the surgery? 

It's not an easy decision. We all thought at one time we could do this without surgery, and ultimately we can't.

It's not a magic pill or wand, it's just another tool to help you lose the weight.

Yes there are risks, but staying overweight is just as big a risk as having the surgery.

M L.
on 1/11/15 11:04 am

Thank you for your encouragement and reality check.....so appreciated.  

Most Active