what if syndrome

M L.
on 1/9/15 11:14 am

As the prospect if surgery gets closer I am feeling somewhat ambivalent.  I have a bad case of "what ifs".   What if I can't take the opti shakes, what if I have surgical complications, what if I can't get a handle on the new eating regime, what if I die, what if I fail.   Is my "what if" syndrome at all part of the process?  Any suggestions on how to move forward and answer these question?  Perhaps ambivalence is to be expected in the face of such a huge life change.....wonder if I'm ready.   

roxytrim
on 1/9/15 11:20 am - Cobourg, Canada
VSG on 04/12/13

What if you don't have the surgery...which obesity related complication will comandier your health first?

M L.
on 1/9/15 11:28 am

Great question.....

Maricw
on 1/9/15 8:06 pm - Oshawa, Canada

That is how I was as the last couple of weeks before surgery... Even when I came to after surgery my family tells me I was sure that that happened that I didn't get surgery or that something went wrong and no one was telling me...I am still very scared I will fail even now ' I have failed so many times..I am 5 months out, 70 lbs gone and daily I worry about failing, it not working for me or I'll not going to loss more...the good part of all this is "... It is working, I am going to lose more, and I am happier than I have ever been in my life. I don't have one regret.. The "what ifs " are normal or I think they are..

Referral - October 3-2013 /  Family Dr. Confirmed - October  31-2013 /  Orientation call - November 11-2013 / Orientation (HRRH) -November 25-2013 / 1st  Surgeon Appt (Dr Huynh) - January 14-2014 /  SW/RN/RD - January 17-2014 / Dr Glazer March 25-2014/ 2nd Surgeon Appt (Dr Huynh)- April 10-2014 / Surgery date - August 7-2014

Leanne1
on 1/9/15 9:14 pm - Newmarket, Canada

Yep! Perfectly normal! Some call it "The 2week freak" ... definitely happens to everyone.

These questions can all be related to everyday life.  

This is a huge life changing surgery. You have to weigh the pros and cons; and trust me, in my opinion, wayyyy more pros then cons. I would NEVER turn the clock back. I was unhealthy and miserable. And now, I am healthy, MUCH more energetic and extremely happy after losing 100+lbs.

hope this helps :)

BELOW GOAL        Happily maintaining 4.5 years out!!   Life is GREAT!!!  Had my plastic surgery! 

Patm
on 1/9/15 9:17 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

Many people have the what ifs. I think it is good to question and know that what you are doing is a major life style change. But the question of what if you do not do the surgery should be  considered. I am almost three years out and do not regret this at all. Best decision I ever made for my health  

M L.
on 1/10/15 12:41 am

Thanks everyone....the health issues are stacking up against me. The encouragement and honest sharing helps me. Have a grand day. 

mum2TNT
on 1/10/15 3:11 am - Oshawa, Canada

Hey ML....I agree with the other posters....I am still pre-op also but from time to time I start thinking....hmmm maybe I shouldn't do this, maybe I will fail....it sucks but I believe it is part of the process.  It is a huge decision in the end.  I have many health concerns due to my obesity, and those more than likely will be resolved once this weight comes off.  I can't wait to start moving and living again!!! We got this girl! ;)

Chrissy  ~~~  doctor referral May 29/14; info session Aug 18/14surgeon appt Dr. Starr  Oct 15/14dietitian, social worker & nurse Dec 11/142nd appts dietitian, SW & nurse Jan 19/15;  Dr. Glazer Feb 25/15; 2 weeks OPTIFAST April 15/15; surgery date April 29/15    AGE: 48   HEIGHT: 5'6"  

Diminishing Dawn
on 1/10/15 3:34 am - Windsor, Canada

What if you do what I did:  resolve that you are going to suck it up no matter how trying it is.  What if you say you've abused your body for so long that now you're going to make some sacrifices for it? What if you decide that you are going to kick butt working hard to maximize your surgery results and change your whole lifestyle.  What if this is the most amazing journey that you've ever taken? What if you get to live a normal, wonderful life as a normal sized person? What if you kick all your comorbidities to the curb?  What if you increase your life expectancy, reduce the odds for many kinds of different cancers, and just LIVE?

Just sayin'

Dawn :) 

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

betony63
on 1/10/15 7:19 am

Ooooh, I wish we had a like button for posts like this!

GUELPH. Referral: Dec 6/13. Orientation: Mar 6/14, Post-op Diet Class: Sept 22/14, Meeting with Surgeon: Dec 2/14, Surgery: Jan 22/15

Most Active