Frustrated with jugdemental people

Mary A.
on 1/7/15 4:45 am

we face judgemental and non-supporters all of our lives, if you have ever heard a comment about obesity whether it was a family friend or relative or just an off the cuff comment like "fat people are lazy they just need to stop stuffing their face" you have been judged..now it's a different type of judgement.  I am sorry that your husband and mother aren't as supportive as you would like they are probably just SCARED and they have heard (STORIES) about people gaining backthe weight...My husband has never struggled with his weight and in 20 years of marriage he gained 20lbs I gained 150....he didn't want me to have the surgery either, so although he wasn't opposed she wasn't cheering me on..so I found a local support group and away I went.  I even took one of my kids to a meeting. 

Explain to your husband...the co-morbidities you may presently have, the lack of energy, motivation ,high blood pressure? (etc) the ridicule you may encounter being an overweigh/obese person and then top it off with simply...there is NOTHING easy about a decision to have major surgery...would he not have surgery to have a knee replacement so that he could be more mobile..probably not..so I equate it as the same

Stay strong and continue on the path that you have CHOSEN for YOU and if the nosy co-worker decides to offer her opinion, just plainly tell her it's your body and your life and not hers.~!

We are here for you....I am almost 6 years post-op, keeping off 100lbs, just had a pannilectomy this past September and while everyday continues to be a struggle and keep me in check (okay except for the dozen or so Christmas cookies I ate)...I feel great and appreciative that I was able to have this surgery.

On an end note people those without weight issues, need to realize that not all obese people are the way they are because ethey eat too much, some have hormone issues, pituitary issues etc etc.

prior to surgery 323lbs....4 years post-op maintaining between 108- 114 lb loss. 

life is AMAZING when you continue on the right path~!.  Use your surgeons gift to the fullest~!

Mary
surgery done in Duluth, MN

cutekatie
on 1/7/15 6:05 am
RNY on 05/16/12

That is very unfortunate that your husband and family have those thoughts.

I would be very concerned about being around someone who is not supportive. As others have said you are doing this for you and you're just going to have to ignore or get rid of the negative people.

If my husband said something like that to me I would be moving out. Not sure what your marriage is like but it doesn't sound very supportive and this might be something to deal with before you have major surgery.

HW 282 OW 273 SW 247 CW 232

Most Active