What food aversions do you have post-op?

(deactivated member)
on 1/7/15 11:44 am - Mississauga, Canada

I hear of so many people who have had the surgery having various food aversions post-op.  What are yours?

Karen M.
on 1/7/15 6:57 pm - Mississauga, Canada

I don't know that many develop true "aversions" to certain foods (the smell/taste of food makes them ill and true food aversion is a disorder) post-op but many report a change in taste/palate.

For me, my sense of "sweet" was increased immensely and everything, including even something like plain milk, tasted just way too sweet to eat/drink and made me feel nauseous.

Although I would feel ill and would vomit eggs, I didn't have an aversion to them - I simply avoided them because they made me sick. My break-up with eggs lasted about 5 years as a post-op.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

(deactivated member)
on 1/7/15 8:32 pm - Canada
RNY on 04/16/14

Onions and Garlic in strong quantities ( I say strong because the more the flavour the more I react.  Also I am now lactose intolerant and sugar of course.  Finally, tomatoes do not seem to sit well.

Kelly

Catw
on 1/7/15 10:15 pm - Arnprior, Canada

Not aversions, but things I avoid, are spice, dairy (Can eat some non fat yogurt and cheese, but have to go with Almond milk), high onion (gas issues) and large amounts of garlic (small amounts are fine).  I also try to avoid dry foods.

Oh, and brands.  Things like meatballs, are not all the same.  Some brands I can eat no problem, others I have problems.  Same with preformed frozen burgers.  Something about the fillers I think.  And no high fat foods like sausage.

Cathy

Patm
on 1/8/15 1:43 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

High fat foods like sausages. Eggs scrambled and sometimes omelets. Fried and poached eggs are fine. Any meats cooked too dry. Steak takes me forever to eat. Must be very small bites chewed like mad. Too spicy now bothers me at times.

aamber02
on 1/8/15 2:00 am

Great question. I've tolerated just about everything really well...eggs, drier meats, the occasional deep-fried chicken wing...have not tested baked goods or sweets and see no reason to. Sometimes I'll get a shawarma without the wrap and the garlic sauce makes me feel flu like (without vomiting/diarrhea) and mixed nuts tend to make my stomach feel way too heavy, even if very small amount.

Referral: July 11, 2013         Surgery: July 14, 2014

Can_Lil_Saint
on 1/8/15 2:05 am - Georgetown, Canada

For me it is mayo so far.  If I make egg salad at home with my Olive Oil mayo I get dumping in the south.  If I get egg salad from Subway I am fine so I asked what mayo they used and it was Miracle Whip.

alysan
on 1/8/15 9:40 am - Canada

Eggs....I used to love a good spinach and feta omelette but can't tolerate them anymore.  I've tried on different occasions but I just can't handle them.

Shrimp and steak seems to be harsh on my stomach, almost like they are getting stuck.  Even tho I have chewed them really well they just don't sit right. 

I don't stray outside the box too much tho.  The one thing I can not get enough of is the Kirkland greek yogurt with 1/4 small banana in it.....so freakin delicious.  I could eat this every meal...but don't. 

Referral: Feb. 14, 2013; Orientation: May 16, 2013: 1st RN/NUT/SW appt: May 28, 2013; 2nd RN/NUT/SW appt: July 31, 2013; Dr. Agarwal (internist): Aug. 6, 2013; Post Op Class: Nov. 25 2013; Dr. Reed: Dec. 17, 2013; Surgery: February 13,2014

Most Active