Rant.. not a new one, but it's mine :)

Helna_Handbasket
on 1/7/15 11:22 am - OWEN SOUND, Canada

I am sure this has been posted before.  I'm new to this forum, so thank you in advance for listening to me rant.

I've been gaining and losing weight (and regaining) since I was 20.  23 years later I finally am wanting to get off the rollercoaster.  I've been on the sidelines far too long, and it's getting harder to do things.  For decades I have heard (usually behind my back) - why doesn't she do something about it, how could she let herself go, no wonder she's single... blah blah blah. 

Since making the decision, and it hasn't been an easy one, to pursue WLS to help me in my goals to grab my life back - and slowly telling a few friends and 1 family member about it, I've received very mixed feedback.  My dad supports me, but keeps asking "if you just followed a restrictive diet like you would after surgery, wouldn't that be the same thing?".  Uh no.  I've done that dad and I could have eaten a small child after a few days.  My close friends, many of whom have struggled with weight are understanding, but I can see in their eyes that look of "really?  so extreme?"  - or maybe I'm imagining it.  I don't know. 

What I do know is from reading the boards here, that the only people *****ally seem to get it are those who've made the decision to educate, pursue, do all the work and ultimately succeed at their WL journey.  I think one big difference is that I am doing this 100% for me and my health, not for anyone else. 

Thank you for being welcoming, informative & friendly. 

Referral: August 2014 Orientation: 28Nov14 Social Worker: 05Feb15 Nurse Practitioner: 25Feb15 Nutrition Class: 30Mar15 Dietitian: 14Apr15 Psychologist: 21Apr15 NP followup: 23Apr15 Meet Surgeon: 26June15 Start Opti/PreOp: 21July15 Surgery!: 04Aug15!! 

I keep a blog... you're welcome to read it anytime :)  https://heretoeaternity.wordpress.com/

Sandra L.
on 1/7/15 1:25 pm

I too have struggled with weight lose all my life.  But your last words say it all.  You are doing this for yourself, not for anyone else.  People will judge you no matter what you do.  If you don't do it they will judge "why doesn't she do something about it".  We must do what is right for us.   I have told my family and a few friends that I am doing this and those that know me understand I have given a great deal of thought and investigation into having this surgery and support me.  But I will do this with or without their support cause I need to, not for them but for me.  It is my time to be selfish.

March 2014 Doctor sent referal, Orientation Humber Aug 2014, Surgeon Nov. 2014, Trio Appt. Feb 2015 - Request transfer to Guelph Mar. 2015 Orientation Guelph April 9th, 2015 Initial one-on-one May 5th, 2015. Trio Appt. Aug. 14th, 2nd Trio Oct. 16.  Nov. 20 Approved. , Meeting Surgeon Dec. 23.  Opti Fast Jan. 14th, Surgery Date:  Jan. 28th 2016

Helna_Handbasket
on 1/7/15 9:31 pm - OWEN SOUND, Canada

I'd high 5 you right now Sandra!  

Referral: August 2014 Orientation: 28Nov14 Social Worker: 05Feb15 Nurse Practitioner: 25Feb15 Nutrition Class: 30Mar15 Dietitian: 14Apr15 Psychologist: 21Apr15 NP followup: 23Apr15 Meet Surgeon: 26June15 Start Opti/PreOp: 21July15 Surgery!: 04Aug15!! 

I keep a blog... you're welcome to read it anytime :)  https://heretoeaternity.wordpress.com/

Sandra L.
on 1/8/15 12:10 am

Right back at you. 

March 2014 Doctor sent referal, Orientation Humber Aug 2014, Surgeon Nov. 2014, Trio Appt. Feb 2015 - Request transfer to Guelph Mar. 2015 Orientation Guelph April 9th, 2015 Initial one-on-one May 5th, 2015. Trio Appt. Aug. 14th, 2nd Trio Oct. 16.  Nov. 20 Approved. , Meeting Surgeon Dec. 23.  Opti Fast Jan. 14th, Surgery Date:  Jan. 28th 2016

Most Active