Waiting to see surgeon

bphilli2002
on 1/8/15 5:15 am

until recently...we didn't have the surgical component here...we had to go to Toronto or the States to have the surgery...It's only been the last few months that it's being done here! We have been fortunate to receive two surgeons from southern Ontario to put surgery into place here! They are awesome...and soooo young! lol People who had the surgery in Southern Ontario were entitled to a travel grant that paid money towards travel expenses. So it could work both ways I think :) But, be patient! Good things will happen! xxoo

need_to_run_81
on 1/8/15 2:04 am

Hi Canadajet,

i had had my HRRH orientation on September 3rd (maybe 2nd) and I called 6 weeks later to see what was up - they said they were working on August.  I called again at 8ish weeks and I asked them to check my file and it had been processed (luckily) while she had said August was still being gong through. I got in two weeks later to meet my surgeon, but meeting the rest of the team happens in February (3 months later).  Others who went through the same orientation had later surgeon meetings, but the rest of the team happens around the same time as mine - and they waited a couple extra weeks for the centre to call them.  I believe my surgery will be May or June.  If that gives you some thoughts towards timeline...  I hate being lost in the cracks, so I called. 

jennyboo202
on 1/8/15 5:13 am - Canada
RNY on 08/14/15

Hi Canadajet!  

I had the exact same frustration in September/October of last year.  As you can see from my signature line I was supposed to be at HRRH.  I had my orientation in August and by the end of October had still not heard anything.  And that was after calling pretty much every other day.

Eventually I made the best decision I could have, I asked to be transferred.  I also spoke with the manager of the bariatric program at TWH and she agreed that I would not need to attend their orientation, as I already had attended the one at HRRH. 

Since transferring, my appointments have come swiftly.  I only have to see the Nutritionist and the Psychologist and then I get to meet my surgeon.  All in a matter of less than three months (first appointment was Nov. 28).  

Another thing that I preferred about TWH, is that it is convenient for those who don't drive.  I take the train in from Oshawa and hop on the subway/streetcar when I get to Toronto and I'm there in about 15 minutes.  It's convenient because I already work in Toronto, so I don't have to miss a full day of work when I have my appointments).

HRRH is really backed up and it probably won't change any time soon, but you need to go with your instincts in this case.  The long wait time gives you more time to start making lifestyle changes that can only help your success.  So there's a positive side to it.

Ref. Apr 30/14, Orientation HRRH Aug 25/14, Transfer to TWH Oct 21/14, Sleep Study Nov 20/14, SW Nov 28/14, Nut. Class Dec 8/14, NP Dec 15/14, Psych. Jan 13/15, Nut. Jan 15/15, CPAP Titra Jan 16/15, NP F/U Jan 19/15, NP F/U2 Feb 24/15, NP F/U3 Mar 24/15, Surgeon May 29/15, Opti July 25/15, Pre-Op July 30/15, Surgery Aug 14/15

Cant-wait14
on 1/8/15 8:38 am - Canada

Hi

I attended the September 4th Orientation session and  it took a long time to hear about the initial meeting with the surgeon and I called several times, until they gave me December 12, 2014. Next was my 3 appt with social work, nurse and dietician - this was scheduled for Feb 17th, but then got on the cancel list and this happened on December 19th, 2014. Then only Dr. Glazer left. I had an appointment with him in June. Last week they gave me Feb 12th as a surgery date and when I called to get Dr. Glazer appt I got in for January 14, 2015

Today got another call asking if I would mind moving surgery up to January 29th -- start OPTI on the 15th... yikes its coming fast now

Excited and nervous - going to review all the stuff I need to have here prior to the surgery.

Hang in there and maybe give them a call or two

Canadajet
on 1/16/15 10:41 pm

Congratulations so excited for you. Still no date to see the surgeon and I will call again Monday. Best of luck

Most Active