At home fitness regime?

Blueiiis
on 1/3/15 5:42 am - Mississauga, Canada
RNY on 08/11/14

I am having a hard time getting out to the gym on a regular basis due to husband's work schedule.  I don't have any exercise equipment in my place as there is no room!

so I am looking for suggestions on DVD's etc that are great cardio and strengthening.  I saw Zumba DVD's at Costco... Anyone tried those? Zumba for the wii? Wii fit? My friend sells the Beachbody Insanity/Piyo/Shakeology and is trying to get me to buy into that.... But it's pricey and I don't think the shakes are suitable. 

Any suggestions? I was thinking of just starting with the 30 day shred... And if anyone has dvd's they are selling in the Mississauga area, please let me know!

Swell
on 1/3/15 6:11 am - Southwestern Ontario, Canada

I have the Zumba dvds and I really like them--I did them every day this summer and found that they were pretty fun (and I'm not normally into dancing). I also have the Insanity videos, which are a great workout, but really hard, and after doing them for a month, I injured my knee and it hasn't been the same since. The Jillian Michaels 30 day Shred DVDs are good too, but I never found that I noticed a big difference after doing them for a long period of time. 

One of my favourite DVD workouts is Physique 57. It's a ballet/barre style workout, and easy to follow, but difficult enough that it won't get too easy right away. I bought them when I saw Kelly Ripa raving about how they are, and I've really liked them. I also like T25, which are by the same guy as Insanity (Shaun T), but they're only 25 minutes and offer a modification option (which Insanity doesn't). After my surgery and the go-ahead to work out from the doctor, I plan to use a combination of the Zumba, Physique 57, and T25 videos so that I don't get bored. 

One tip--men and women seem to really like the Insanity and T25 videos, so if you have a partner, they may be more willing to do those ones with you. My husband really likes both (although he also injured himself with the Insanity videos, which is why we've switched to T25). 

Good luck!

NorthernStar
on 1/3/15 6:39 am - London, Canada
RNY on 06/25/12

I also love P57! It got me into barre. Barre is a tough workout, but so gentle on the body. I am incorporating more barre into my routine this winter. I only have 3 P57 DVDs, their streaming service is $57/month, more than my gym membership! It's just too pricey, I hope it comes down in price because I'd love to subscribe.

If anyone is interested in P57, you can rent a video for $5 to see what it's like on their website

*Lindsey*

Keeping off 133 lbs since 2012!

Referral to Bariatric Registry: May 2011   /   Surgery (HRRH): June 25, 2012         

(deactivated member)
on 1/3/15 6:18 am - Bumfuknowhere, Canada

Don't buy anything just yet.  Most of the workout videos are all on youtube.  Leslie Sansone has tons on there, type in Biggest Loser workout and there are some of theirs. 30 day shred is on there, zumba videos there, etc and tons more.  I am way too uncoordinated to do zumba but have tried many times.  I did the videos and I have it for Wii and still can't do it.  I started with the Leslie Sansone walking ones.  Started with the 2 mile brisk walk one and now do the 5 mile one no problem.  You don't need a lot of space to do it as you walk mostly on the spot.  Some you use weights or stretchy bands but if you don't have them it's no big deal.  She also has a yoga one if that is something that interest you.  I like the Biggest Loser one with Bob as he makes me so mad that when I do the punching part of the video I aim at his face.  How is that for motivation.  If you have a smart Tv, you can get them right up on your tv screen and go at it and if not then just use your computer to do it.  If you find one you really enjoy, you can always buy it then.  I have done the T25 and many others.  You do get bored with the same one over and over again so try a few and see.  Walmart always has exercise dvds on sale and pretty sure Costco does as well if you are a member there.  Youtube is still your best bet to try them all out before spending any $$.

NorthernStar
on 1/3/15 6:37 am - London, Canada
RNY on 06/25/12

I started out working out at home and I think it's a great way to go. Many people think you need the gym to "really" work out and it's just not true (my hardest gym workout does not come close to the hardest home workout I've done!) You don't need a lot of equipment either. A mat and resistance bands cost only a few dollars and are easily hidden under your couch or bed. I work out 5-6 days a week and generally do half of those at the gym and half at home. I'll likely stay home in January, I hate driving in winter just to fight crowds at the gym.

I love Beachbody programs and started out with Turbo Jam. 21 Day Fix is a great program for starting out - it is very modifiable and is a complete program (it has strength and cardio workouts, as well as a yoga workout). Leslie Sansone has a ton of great beginner workouts as well. I am not the biggest PiYo fan and I don't think it's that great for beginners. It does have a modifier for each workout but there is no way in heck I could have done these workouts when I started. I do the odd PiYo workout now for upper-body work and planks. I would also not recommend T25, Insanity or P90X to anyone just starting out but once you develop more of a fitness base you might want to check them out.

I haven't done Zumba DVDs (I did try at the gym though) but I understand they are very modifiable and get good reviews.

I have built up quite the DVD collection! I just got Insanity MAX 30 and am excited to start it.

*Lindsey*

Keeping off 133 lbs since 2012!

Referral to Bariatric Registry: May 2011   /   Surgery (HRRH): June 25, 2012         

roxytrim
on 1/3/15 8:44 am - Cobourg, Canada
VSG on 04/12/13

I just heard on CBC radio one today from the tech correspondant that there is anything you can think of for free online.Don't waste any $ buying DVD's.  So check out the podcast for this morning's show (Saturday) and you can hear about it.  You can find workouts for your hotel room, home daily motivation etc.

Zizzler
on 1/4/15 1:04 am

Lots of workout stuff at your local public library for free, that way you can try them out before buying. 

Blueiiis
on 1/4/15 1:21 am - Mississauga, Canada
RNY on 08/11/14

So many great suggestions and good information -- thank you, All!

Going to try and find some stuff on you tube -- I love Zumba at the gym but the times don't work for me right now, so hoping to find it online or the library.

thanks again! 

KattattaK
on 1/4/15 2:07 am

The older Zumba dvds are a bit meh but the newer ones are definitely on point!!! Very effective for me. Also, believe it or not, Leslie sansone (walk away the pounds) has a jogging and kick boxing dvd that are amazing workouts! They are only about 30-35 mins each and really kick butt!!! Also, the OG P90X really worked well for me too. I hear the newer version is good too (and only 30 mins vs the OG one being over 1 hour). I definitely would NOT pay the money for beach body shakes and CDs, unless you can find them used and cheap. Otherwise, not worth it. There are many other dvd workouts out there that are just as effective, if not better. The only thing I'm selling right now is my les mills body pump set, but I live in southern cali. Hope you find something that works for you. There are some really good dvds out there just a matter of finding them. I've tried Tony Horton, Shaun t, Leslie sansone, Jillian michaels, Chalene, and soooo many others. So far, Zumba has given me the best results  and kept me interested. Never got bored with it. Good luck! 

Most Active