Really frustrated

(deactivated member)
on 1/2/15 12:17 am, edited 1/2/15 12:18 am - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 10/20/14

I've now been on my period for 24 days of the last 5 weeks... I have always been regular, and yes, while I have read on here it's normal to get extended periods, or two periods in a month in the beginning phase of weight loss after surgery, I have to say, it really sucks.

Right when I think it's going away, it comes back with a vengeance! I've emailed my centre asking for assistance, but haven't heard back yet.

Do I really just have to wait this out? Is there anyway to regulate this? Oh god, please make it stop. 

Kathy S.
on 1/2/15 1:08 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Hello Jennifer,

While I never experienced this, I would be persistent with contacting your surgery and your OB/GYN.  That sounds very excessive and concerning.  Please keep us posted on how you are doing.

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

(deactivated member)
on 1/2/15 1:18 am - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 10/20/14

Thanks Cathy, I'm starting to become concerned too! 

Onward and
Downward

on 1/2/15 1:08 am - Canada
RNY on 11/07/12

Perhaps try calling your family doctor, or your gynecologist if you have one. It may be easier to get in to see one of them than the centre.

Referral to registry: Oct 21, 2011    Orientation (TWH): Feb 22, 2012     Surgery: Nov 7, 2012

Come to Toronto East End Coffee Nights! Click here for details.

(deactivated member)
on 1/2/15 1:20 am - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 10/20/14

Thanks for the advice, Will be doing that today, I have to get this sorted. It's driving me slightly insane! As someone who has always had four day cycles once a month like clockwork.. 

Onward and
Downward

on 1/3/15 12:49 am - Canada
RNY on 11/07/12

I remember the irregular periods well! Before surgery, I could sometimes go several months without a period - and then get one that is several weeks long. The surgery has made me much more regular. First week of every month, like clockwork now. Hope things even out for you eventually! Surgery is such a disruption to our systems.

Referral to registry: Oct 21, 2011    Orientation (TWH): Feb 22, 2012     Surgery: Nov 7, 2012

Come to Toronto East End Coffee Nights! Click here for details.

Dreamy74
on 1/2/15 1:10 am
RNY on 02/04/15

Hi Jennifer let me start off by saying that I am pre-WLS and I have Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome. 

In December I got a period (on the 2nd) and it lasted until the 15th.  It was heavy, but manageable. Then I got it again on the 20th and it was back with a vengeance.  I was at work on Christmas Eve and I actually flooded my chair.  It was terrible.  And I had a tampon and two pads on and had just changed about 10 minutes prior.  I ended up in emergency where I was given something called tranexamic acid and it worked really well.  My period finally stopped on December 28th.  The doctor in emergency told me that after my WLS it would likely continue this way what with the hormone dumping and everything so he suggested I go to my family doctor for a referral to a gyenacologist.  I saw her on the 29th and my family doctor told me about a procedure called a microwave that is "popular" for women with heavy periods - it's also known as endometrial ablation.  The only problem is, it's for women who don't want children or any more children if they've already had kids.  The other thing the emergency doctor said is to go on the pill which will regulate things.  He said many women take the pill consistently without stopping for the 7 days so they don't have a period.  He said you do have to have 4 periods or withdrawal bleeds a year though.  The pill really isn't an option for me as it messes with my depression.  Anyway I am waiting an appointment with the gynaecologist and am also scheduled for an ultrasound next week.  That is something you may want your family doctor to do - to send you for an ultrasound to make sure everything is okay and that you don't have fibroids or anything. 

Let me know how you are feeling!  Hope things "stop" and return to normal soon.

xx

(deactivated member)
on 1/2/15 1:23 am - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 10/20/14

Thank you dreamy for sharing, and the advice. It's really terrible, and so I feel for you!  I've never experienced this before, and at first, based on what I did read on the forums, I chalked it up to a somewhat normal post op occurrence, but now I am starting to worry.

I will be calling my family doctor today, and will mention the things you've shared. Hopefully it's nothing majour, and a solution is found.

thanks again, xo 

(deactivated member)
on 1/2/15 2:22 am, edited 1/2/15 8:23 am - Orillia, Canada

This is not normal what so ever, not trying to scare you or anything, but I am as well pre-op and have Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome and had precancerous cells on my cervix which caused horrible, horrible bleeding I normally would get my period twice a year which was not normal but because of the PCOS that happened and it would be horrible, but then I started bleeding uncontrollably for 3 months!!! (I got checked after the first month of horrible bleeding) and it turns out I had the precancerous cells in my cervix. Please go and get checked!! ASAP!

(deactivated member)
on 1/2/15 2:58 am - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 10/20/14

I will, thanks. Many people on the forums have shared their woes of long periods and multiple periods after surgery during the weight loss phase, and saying it regulates after some time.. so I do know others have experienced this after surgery.  I hope it's nothing to worry about. I'll get a docs opinion asap. 

Most Active