Backpacking after WLS

aamber02
on 1/4/15 11:53 am

It's been awhile since I've posted or been on OH - living a healthy and highly tech-reduced life after WLS :)

I'm roughly 6 months out from WLS and have decided I want to do some traveling. I never would have dreamed I'd be doing this, but I went to bed thinking about backpacking SE Asia one night and, when I woke up in the morning, I booked a ticket to Singapore.

Anyways, thinking I'll be gone for 2 months..looking to take my time and do Indonesia, Malaysia and maybe Thailand if I don't run out of funds by then. Has anyone done any backpacking through SE Asia after rny? Any tips or suggestions? Never had issues with dumping or being sick really, but Ive never pushed my pouch either.

Thanks!!!

Referral: July 11, 2013         Surgery: July 14, 2014

aamber02
on 1/4/15 11:59 am

Meant to post in the RNY section for more exposure but wanted to update this board too seeing as it helped so much when I was pre-op.

I'm almost 6 months out now and loving life. I'm exercising 4x/week...running, yoga, gym...and have so much more energy than I ever thought I could. I used to nap every day, now I nap if I need to but overall I'm good for the day. I sleep much better, my mental health has improved significantly and although my husband and I definitely proved that rough time are often had after someone has WLS, he has lost nearly 60 pounds and we are doing great.

I started at 321 and am down to 216 - certainly felt unattainable 6 months ago but now I don't feel like I am much smaller. It's strange the way that works, I didnt understand that pre-op. Reached OWMC goal but my body is telling me it still wants to lose so Im focusing on healthy eating and protein..not calories or fat...and exercising frequently. I am finally living and LOVING my life!

Hanneli xoxo
on 1/4/15 10:47 pm - Sudbury, Canada
RNY on 10/30/12

no advise but wow! congratulations on taking a leap of faith and just going for it with gusto! 

roxytrim
on 1/4/15 10:51 pm - Cobourg, Canada
VSG on 04/12/13

I have backpacked a month in Indonesia, not post op mind you but knowing what you will be travelling through and what you will need here are my suggestions. If you can always have drinking water with you I'd also bring some water treatment pills just incase you get to a remote area and don't have easy access to safe water.   Immodium may be helpful.  Protien in a compact form would be good when you need a quick meal.  

You are going to have the time of your life & meet the most intetesting people - great adventure...good for you.

redviking
on 1/4/15 10:59 pm - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 07/22/14

I am so jealous!!!  I have been to Thailand and Singapore and if I ever win the lottery, I'll be back there in a heartbeat!  When I was there, I wasn't backpacking, I was staying in fairly nice hotels so I can't give you too much advice on that aspect, but here's what I can think of off the top...

1) it is soooo humid there. you will take a shower, put on fresh clothes, walk outside and be sweating immediately.  You should probably make sure you have lotions/powders to keep your sensitive areas nice and dry to avoid rashes. 

2) The food should be ok...portions are not so crazy there, but there are a lot of noodles and rice. Chicken and seafood are plentiful, so are eggs and tofu so you shouldn't have any problems getting in your proteins. there are some sauces that can be fairly sugary, so steer clear of that. Fruit and vegetables are also easy to find and fresh and delicious! I had no problems eating in Singapore or Thailand but I was there before my RNY.  You can get western fast food pretty easily, so don't fall into that trap!  Eat at local mom and pop type places!  Keep your pack full of nuts and other portable snacks just in case.  if you are travelling, you don't always know when you're going to eat.

3) In Thailand especially, beer is cheap and cold and everywhere. So is Coke! So keep yourself hydrated so you don't get so thirsty that you go to the dark side...

PM me if you have any questions! 

Sonja

Referral: Nov 12   Sleep Study: Feb 13   Orientation: Feb 13  1st appt NSWD: May 13   2nd appt NSWD July 13  2nd Sleep Study: Dec 13   Post Op Nut: April 14 Meet Dr. Pereira-Hong: May 14  PATTS: July 8 14   Surgery: July 22 14

Helna_Handbasket
on 1/5/15 11:06 am - OWEN SOUND, Canada

I hope you blog/post while travelling!  A few things I can suggest.  Take a picture of your luggage before you check it in.  Then if it goes awol you have a photo of what it looks like.  The inside too.  Take copies of all ID you're taking, and be sure to let your bank & credit card company know you're travelling so that when they start seeing foreign charges, they don't freak out. 

When shopping - haggle for everything.  Go to the markets.  The suggestion to bring Immodium with you is good, along with pepto bismol tablets.  It is super humid so lots of cotton clothing.  Street vendor food is cheap and fresh.  You can ask for no noodles or rice.  Local beer is really good, try the green tea iced tea and fresh fruit is all over the place.  Mangosteens, bread fruit and dragon fruit especially. 

Talk to locals and other travellers about where to stay and how to get there.  If you get a weird vibe, trust your gut - but honestly, I've never had a problem.  I wish you the very best trip, be safe and do all the fun things!

aamber02
on 1/5/15 12:48 pm

Thank you for the suggestion. I'm really looking forward to the trip and think SE Asia is pretty wls-friendly without even knowing it, from what ive read about their street food anyways.
I'll post/update when I return :)
Thanks again!

Mary A.
on 1/15/15 4:50 am

Just please be careful on how much you carry..your stomach muscles are not at their peak yet and the strain of a backpack, could cause you some problems.

There is a young woman from the UK that publishes a monthly blog and she has been to Thailand and Vietnam etc,. I will send you the link.

prior to surgery 323lbs....4 years post-op maintaining between 108- 114 lb loss. 

life is AMAZING when you continue on the right path~!.  Use your surgeons gift to the fullest~!

Mary
surgery done in Duluth, MN

Most Active