What are you eating/doing today (Saturday)

(deactivated member)
on 12/20/14 5:35 pm - Bumfuknowhere, Canada

He's not that well trained.  It helps that he's only home half the month plus he fears that I won't bake all year long if he gets into the Christmas baking and he has one heck of a sweet tooth. He gets the rejects so that container has a few things in it to hold him over.

Karen M.
on 12/19/14 10:53 pm - Mississauga, Canada

Morning all :)

Barb, amazing how what we eat can so greatly affect how we feel. Our bodies really do seem to have a "sweet spot" for the combination of foods it takes to make us function our best. For me, if I don't get enough protein or if I have a carb heavy day, I pay for it in energy and mood.

Heading to the pub shortly to start the day-long prep for our Christmas dinner for 50 tonight. I'm in charge of the 4 turkeys, the homemade stuffing, the gravy, the ham, and the homemade cranberry sauce. Long day but so much fun :) Nothing else planned today since I'll be up to my elbows in turkeys.

8.5 years post-op

- coffee with cream x 4 over the day -

B - Premier protein shake sipped with my first coffee

S - PC probio/Greek yogurt, halo orange

L - will bring a Chike protein iced coffee with me to tide me over 'til I come home early afternoon

S - 2 pieces peameal bacon, 2 eggs

D - Christmas dinner - turkey with stuffing and a little gravy, veggies, turnip, small bite of potatoes, maybe a bite or two of salad but I doubt I'll have room, skip the desserts probably too

Have a great day!

K. :)

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

birdiegirl
on 12/19/14 11:54 pm

Have fun today cooking for all of those people! 

Glad you are having turnip...its my fav - just bought my supply for Christmas day dinner at the market.

Karen M.
on 12/21/14 11:59 pm - Mississauga, Canada

Oh, I lurve me some turnip too and it is a staple at Thanksgiving and Christmas especially. I also cube it in stews and soups (and my son and my boyfriend, who *hate* turnip eat it right up lol). I also really like the small white turnips - so easy to peel and so mild in taste. Yummy!

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Zizzler
on 12/19/14 11:54 pm

Good morning everyone.  Anyone else not started their holiday shopping yet?  Yesterday was not a good eating day for me at lunchtime so it is back on track today.  I have a doggie playdate with a friend today, should be fun. Gym today and of course reading in the dry sauna to warm me up, it is cold today!  Tomorrow is the shortest day of the year folks, the days will get longer from tomorrow onward. There is hope ;0)

4 months post op

b - premier protein shake

s - simply protein bar - lemon coconut

l - beans in tomato sauce, parmesan cheese, green salad with balsamic vinaigrette

s - handful of almonds, cucumber slices

d - leftover beans in tomato sauce, parmesan cheese

s - decaf orange pekoe tea with skim milk and sucralose

all vits and water

khopley1709
on 12/20/14 1:47 am - Courtice, Canada

I am unfortunately on my Optifast during this Christmas Season.

I am only on day 5, and so far it has not been too bad but there have been some difficult times.

Does anyone have any advice for Optifast?

crqvingchange
on 12/20/14 2:27 am

I added coffee crystals to the chocolate and crystal light to the vanilla 

Zizzler
on 12/20/14 3:10 am

There is a list of optifast recipes here: http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/discussion/ 4267118/Surviving-Optifast/

When I started opti I was on holidays at the cottage with my family and it was hard, I hear you.  I managed to stay on track by following the advice from this site and keeping my shakes and broth interesting.

I agree about decaf coffee crystals, it cuts the sweetness of the optifast.  a couple more tips:

- drink it really cold with lots of ice, I used a magic bullet to blend them whenever possible

- use a cup with a lid and a straw, it will help if the smell bothers you

- change the consistency of the optifast, use ice and make it super thick and it is almost like pudding

- buy flavourings and experiment. I bought some root beer sf loran oil candy flavouring at bulk barn, that was my favourite overall in vanilla opti.  Almond and coconut extract were all nice add-ins.  We were allowed cocoa powder so sometimes I would add that to make it extra chocolate-y

- buy different types of broth, different brands, try adding lemon or lime juice if you are allowed.  Add spices as per your taste.  I liked lemon or lime with black pepper and garlic.  Experiment.  I used to have broth twice a day, once in the afternoon and once at dinner.

- buy different jellos and experiment with them.  Have freezies or sf popscicles if you need something to chew on

- have a special shake and broth combination planned for xmas meals like maybe chocolate with peppermint or orange, whatever feels festive. 

Remember this is only temporary and keep your eyes on the prize.  You can do it!

Most Active