Out of Pocket Costs....

Catw
on 12/15/14 10:20 pm - Arnprior, Canada

I don't know off hand how much I spend in supplements, but it's hard when some bottles last a month, some just over 3.  Depends on the brand you need, and the quantity you buy.  Some mulitvitimins bothered my tummy, so I can't use those.

As someone said, Thrift Stores become your best friend while you lose the majority of your weight.  And don't buy a lot at any one size until you have stablized.  You grow out of clothes quicker than kids do.  And you can get good stuff at Thrift Stores or clothing swaps (sometimes held by support groups).  Or online yardsales such as kijiji.  Oh, and be prepared to change shoe sizes.  You lose weight everywhere.

Cathy

msmuggins
on 12/16/14 1:25 am - Canada
RNY on 01/05/15

I can't wait to change shoe sizes!!!!  Even when I was thin my feet were largish (size 10).  I'll be so thankful to be able to shop for normal shoes again -- this is a HUGE nsv that I'm waiting for.

~ Per aspera ad astra ☆彡 

(deactivated member)
on 12/15/14 10:22 pm - Orillia, Canada

Thank you so much for your replies.  I thought it would be pretty much even out in my mind because I wouldn't be buying the junk anymore etc. Plus way less food. I need to get a Costco membership for sure! 

Pegasus_AM
on 12/16/14 3:34 am

If you are a Costco member you can buy most of the Vitamins you need there and they will last you a lot longer than 1 month. I just bought a container of Multi-Vitamins it has like 360 pills for like $15.00. It may cost you more up front but less in the long run. They also sell Premier Protein Shakes which I was found the most tolerable so far they are 26.99 for 18 shakes and they only come in Chocolate. Hope the information was helpful.

Referral May 14th/14, HRRH Orientation Aug/18th/14, Surgeon (Dr.Starr) Appt Nov/28th/14, Clinic Nurse,Social Worker, Dietitian Dec/15th/14, Dr.Glazer Feb/5th/15, OptiFast Feb/16th/15, PATTS Feb/17th/15, Surgery March 2nd/15 HW 230, SW 202, CW 130

dawn4511
on 12/20/14 10:53 pm - Niagara Falls, Canada
I find my food cost have went up too, more meat which is much more expensive and veggies too. All together our expenses have increased by 195 per mth. My iron alone is 60 per mth.

10/18/07 RNY ( hw 305 sw 290 lw 189ish) St Joe's 08/14/14 RNY reversal to sleeve. I survived 3 leaks,4 operations and a feeding tube.

NorthernStar
on 12/21/14 1:00 am - London, Canada
RNY on 06/25/12

I used Premier protein for the first few months, but I didn't eat a whole lot else so the cost was moot. I don't eat fast food anymore, that was very expensive and overall my food costs are down even though I eat much more fresh product, good quality meats, eggs and nice cheese now. Costco is my friend for the majority of my supplements as well. It's good to be aware of the different costs but I think overall it should not make a significant dent in your budget.

*Lindsey*

Keeping off 133 lbs since 2012!

Referral to Bariatric Registry: May 2011   /   Surgery (HRRH): June 25, 2012         

Hanneli xoxo
on 12/22/14 9:48 pm - Sudbury, Canada
RNY on 10/30/12

vitamins do not cost me a lot. I am over 2 years post op and my levels have always been quite good (aside from my folate and B12 being high at 2 years) Easier to take less vitamins than try to compensate by taking more lol.. I buy a big bottle of adult advanced equate brand vitamins, big bottles of calcium citrate (Rexall has them often at buy one get one FREE so I stock up) and vitamin D3 (which is VERY cheap at Costco - maybe $8 for 2 bottles of over 100 - i could be wrong on the price and quantity though)... on average I bet it costs me $10/month for vitamins. 

As for protein supplments, other than the initial case of premier shakes I bought newly post op, I do not supplement protein. I get it from real food (lots of chick, beef, fish, cheese, etc...)

Most Active