Out of Pocket Costs....

(deactivated member)
on 12/15/14 9:23 pm - Orillia, Canada

I had my information session yesterday, which was awesome.  It was very informative.  I knew what some of the costs were going to be but some of them were a surprise.  My question is for vitamins and supplements and protein how much per month do you find on average do you spend? I know this will vary because it will all depend on what you need to take and how much, but on average how much does having the surgery cost you extra per month do you find? 

White Dove
on 12/15/14 9:44 pm - Warren, OH

I used to spend about $30 per week on protein supplements.  Most doctors don't keep patients on them now, but I used them for the first three years.  I still spend about $40 a month on vitamins and supplements, including fiber. 

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Ipatton
on 12/15/14 9:59 pm - Canada

I thought about this too, would you say you have subsequently decreased your food intake by 30-40 dollars a month? do you think it evens out?

Ipatton
on 12/15/14 9:59 pm - Canada

I thought about this too, would you say you have subsequently decreased your food intake by 30-40 dollars a month? do you think it evens out?

Northernlightsmom
on 12/15/14 10:00 pm - Canada

I take a chewable vitamim once a day and 4000 units of Vitamin D dailly(liquid form). Thats it. It probably costs about $20 a month or maybe $25. Post surgery I had to take my protein in powder form which I purchased in bulk for 30 at costco in addition to my usual premiere potein shakes that were $22 (on sale at costco). The Premiere protein shakes are the biggest bang for you buck if you consider the the amount of each shake per protein content.

That being said,if I were being truly honest, I spent more than that in one week on junk food I ate, blood pressure meds, diabetic meds, antacids, and restaurant meals that I didn't need and who knows what else. The extra costs that I find minimal in comparison to my old way of living is now improving my health and so it seems to be so small. 

Another big expense has been clothing. Second hand stores and Costco have been my best friend. Costco is great because you will find you buy clothes and before you even wear them, you will surpass that size. They accept returns with really no questions. It was costco employees that told me to try their protein powders and bars and if I didn't like them, just return them. And trust me I did lol. 

Lastly, everyone is different. Their journeys are different, their monthly vitamin requirements are different and their financial cir****tances are also different and so I understand that even small increases in one's budget may be a big decision but in the end I am confident that the rewards are so worth it all.

Good luck with your journey.

RNY Surgery February 10th, 2014

kellybelly333
on 12/15/14 11:03 pm - Toronto, Canada

I take three calcium citrate, Vitamin D, three Feramax Iron pills, two B12s a week, and two multi vitamins.

I am also through TWH, and you should be taking the same amount of calcium as me, as well as Vitamin B12, and two multis a day. Other supplements are different for all (such as iron and vitamin D), but the rest...we are all the same. Here's the link to Toronto Western's Eating for Health document. http://www.uhn.ca/docs/HealthInfo/Shared%20Documents/Eating_ for_Health_after_Gastric_Bypass_Surgery.pdf for reference for our centre. 

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

Northernlightsmom
on 12/15/14 11:27 pm - Canada

Hi Kelly, 

Some vitamins are take 2 and some are take 1 depending on the brand. My bloodwork is spot on and my internest through Windsor insists that there is no reason to be on extra vitamins when my blood work is great. As far as calcium, I drink one premiere protein shake a day and and very vigilant with meeting calcium/protein requirements daily.  My doctor (Windsor Shaban) is the only doctor out of the bariatric clinic there that does it this way. Others have insisted that I be taking more so I went for a second opinion to my family doctor and after running even more blood work, agrees that at this time there is no reason for other supplements.  Those levels may change in the future.

Thank you for the link and I will read TWH document again but I really wish there was some consistency amoung the surgeons and internests.

Thanks Tara :)

kellybelly333
on 12/16/14 12:30 am - Toronto, Canada

My family doctor didn't know a thing about malabsorption and that we malabsorb nutrients like calcium and such...for life. Your levels might be fine now..as they are in year one, but further down the road things change. The only real way to determine if you aren't getting enough calcium is not through blood work, but via a bone density test (although, your parathyroid can go high, if you aren't taking your calcium). My family doctor has been wonderful about learning about me as a post-bariatric patient, and how we are unlike any of the rest of her patients. Take it for what it's worth.  I'm just letting you know what the requirements are of the centre. 

Just know that we do not absorb much vitamins from food anymore, and the Calcium Caseinate that is in the Premier shakes, is not the right calcium that we absorb. We need Calcium Citrate. 

Anyhow, this is all info I have learned over the past 5 years, when I started this journey. I've learned lots from the vets, and my centre. There is no consistency in Ontario, or worldwide. I'm very surprised that your internist (whom i'm not familiar with at TWH) is advising against the regime that the centre sets as their guideline. They are pretty strict about that. 

Anyhow, that's just my opinion and I just wanted to put it out there for any other TWH patient. :-)

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

Northernlightsmom
on 12/16/14 4:46 am - Canada

I am less than a year out so I value your opinion. I am going to research every thing that you have explained to me. My surgery was at TWH but in our area, we have to go through Windsor until our surgery. Dr. Shaban is one of the internists at the bariatric centre in Windsor and not at TWH.  Unfortunately, our pre op appointments and follow up is with the internist back in Windsor and not at TWH with the surgeon who initially preformed our surgery. 

I will also bring up some of the information you shared with my family doctor. Perhaps he will make some changes in my routine.

So thanks again for your suggestions,  Tara

(deactivated member)
on 12/15/14 10:02 pm - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 10/20/14

It balances out with how much less you spend on food. At least it has for me. I probably spend way less overall after surgery due to the far lower food costs.

Most Active