One TINY meatball... REALLY?

(deactivated member)
on 12/16/14 2:35 pm, edited 12/16/14 4:51 pm - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 10/20/14

I've noticed I have small and bigger pouch days, but for the past few weeks or so, I can barely get in enough calories. I am finding myself grabbing for easy things like yogurt and milk just to bump the calories and protein up.

Protein from meat or anything solid is SOOOO hard for me to get in, which sucks as I am craving it. I made a batch of meatballs, and they are teeny tiny, yet I can only consume one. And this takes me about 5 minutes. ONE tiny meatball. That is mind boggling to me that I am full off that.

I've seen what others around my timeline are eating, and it seems they are able to get in more. I know, everyone is different, but it has me questioning why my appetite is so small. I don't want to live off shakes. I want to get the bulk of my protein from food. My dietitian wants me to do the same...

Is this normal? One tiny meatball = full at 8 weeks out? My lord, how things have changed. 

Catw
on 12/16/14 10:14 pm - Arnprior, Canada

Meat can be tricky.  Ground cuts are easier to eat than larger pieces.  Also take a look at what you are mixing with your meat and how well packed it is.  If it's more dense, then it can be harder to eat as well.  I know that when I buy meatballs, there are certain brands that I can't eat.  I don't know what is in them, they all look the same and are the same size, but some I can't eat and some I can.  I also have a harder time with things like frozen/prepackaged burgers (not including the ones in the butcher counter).  They are hard to eat.

Cathy

(deactivated member)
on 12/17/14 12:01 am - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 10/20/14

I buy the PC blue menu lean angus meatballs. The stats on them are really good! Surprisingly! I guess I will just have to keep experimenting and see what sits well with my belly... I have been craving red meat.

Thanks for the feedback  :)

kellybelly333
on 12/16/14 10:52 pm - Toronto, Canada

Coming up to four years out, and just yesterday I could eat two tiny meatballs! LOL. They were dry. I had four in total...over the span of an hour. Just like lead in my pouch. 

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

(deactivated member)
on 12/17/14 12:02 am - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 10/20/14

OK, so looks like this is normal! LOL meatballs just must be tricky for some...

kellybelly333
on 12/17/14 12:05 am - Toronto, Canada

Some days, yep, other days I can have more. The pouch never seems to have a "usual" for me anyway. It's like a cookie. I could have a cookie one day and be fine, and the next time...same cookie, same situation, and I dump. Who knows why? (*disclaimer....don't eat cookies).

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

birdiegirl
on 12/16/14 10:58 pm

did you use some tomato sauce with your meatballs?  Early out I always used either tomatoes - tomato sauce or some type of gravy to ease the dense proteins.  Still today I rarely eat just plain chicken - even with lettuce it goes down better

Everyone is different - the size of your stoma makes a huge difference too.  Some surgeons make theirs a little larger then others - these are usually the people who throw up more - and have to be very careful re tiny bites - chewing to a soft consistency and not eating dry cuts of protein.

I can eat 4 meatballs - with sauce - or 3/4 of a hamburger - no bun.  though some days I can eat the whole patty of a burger - with a tomato - just depends.

Take it slow - it can also make a difference in how much 'that day' you ate.....the totality of food can make each day a little different.

(deactivated member)
on 12/17/14 12:07 am - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 10/20/14

Always put a little sauce on them.. except when I am craving a hamburger, them i top them with hamburger toppings.

I find it so interesting about the stoma... I have not once been sick, and my bites are normalish' I'd say. I also have found I do not have to take tiny sips of fluid at all... 

It is just a big learning experience I see. I have a feeling I will be learning non stop for the rest of my life with this tool! :) and I am OK with that.

Thank you!

White Dove
on 12/17/14 12:12 am - Warren, OH

I could not have finished a tiny meatball at two months.  By six months I could eat three of them.  Just relax and let your body heal.  I drank lots of shakes until I could get my protein from food.  Shakes are not permanent, you will be able to eat enough protein in a few more months.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Zizzler
on 12/17/14 5:18 am

At 4 months I can eat 3 blue menu meatballs with tomato sauce comfortably, sometimes 4, depends on the day.  Dense meats fill be up fast so I have to really pay attention not to eat too much. 

Most Active