Nurse Practioner Appointment

BaseballGirlie75
on 12/12/14 4:23 am - Canada

Hi,

I have an appointment with the Nurse Practioner next weeek, what should I expect from this. I have been reading your comments and what they have told you, one person said that they give you the good and the bad of this surgery. I am a little nervous, i am going thru TWH. Any info is helpful.

Thanks

msmuggins
on 12/12/14 4:41 am - Canada
RNY on 01/05/15

My experience with the Nurse Practitioner was very positive (I'm going through TWH too).  It's hard to remember what we talked about but basically she went over the surgery with me, what I can expect from it in terms of the average weight loss, how I'll need to eat afterward, things to avoid, etc..  We talked a bit about RNY versus VSG -- I wanted to know why they don't make VSG an option for everyone since the results from both surgeries end up being very similar in the longer run based on the research studies that are currently available.  They take your blood pressure, and weigh you at this appointment.  I can't remember whether this was the appointment where they sent me to do blood work afterward (quite frankly it's a bit of a blur for me now).  Ultimately they want to be sure that you understand medically what you are undertaking with the surgery, and they want to answer any questions that you have, and determine if you have any other health concerns that might impact the surgery.  That's all I remember.  I hope that helps?

~ Per aspera ad astra ☆彡 

Dreamy74
on 12/12/14 6:58 am
RNY on 02/04/15

Hi BaseballGirlie75

I am going through TWH too and I had a lovely appointment with the nurse practitioner.  She went over the surgery in detail with me, had a cartoon poster of what your insides look like before and after and gave me a handout about potential complications.  She also advised that people tend to lose 75 to 80% of their excess weight over the long term and to be realistic about goals.  We spoke in depth about dumping syndrome and she emphasized how important it was to chew my food after surgery and to start practicing right away.  She weighed me, did my blood pressure, took my temperature and sent me for blood work.  She also requisitioned an endoscopy procedure which was scheduled for the next month, due to my history of ulcers.  When I went back for my nutrition class, (after having seen the nurse practitioner), she left me a note that I was given at check in stating that my blood work was unremarkable except that my vitamin D level was low so she told me to start taking 3,000 IU of vitamin D.  She was really nice and was happy to answer all of my questions.  I forget her name but she was awesome.  I also brought my husband-to-be and he was able to ask questions too.  Don't worry, you will do great!  All the best to you! 

~Dreamy74

softballqueen89
on 12/15/14 5:12 am - Canada
VSG on 02/24/15

Hi BaseballGirlie75 (you sound like my kinda girl - hehe).

I just had my Nurse Practitioner appointment at TWH last week.

I answered a very in-depth questionnaire about my health history.  I had to pee in a cup (to prove that I have actually quit smoking).  Then she pressed around on my abdomen a bit, and took my vitals - easy peasy.

I did go down for blood work afterwards, and I had to have a scope booked too as I am a revision from band to RNY.

All of the staff at TWH have been absolutely amazing - I think we are a lucky bunch being able to go through this facility :)

She also gave me a handout that goes through the risks and possible complications of the surgery.  We didn't go through it with a fine tooth comb as I have been there, done that.  But if you wanted to spend more time on it, I'm sure she would.

Maybe I'll see you around there sometime!

Tracy.

Referral: 08.13.14  Orient (TWH): 11.05.14  Social: 11.27.14  Nurse Prac: 12.10.14  Psych: 01.12.15 Nutrition Class: 11.18.14  Scope: 01.06.15  Dietician: 12.12.14  Meet Surgeon: 02.06.15  Pre-Op Testing: 02.18.15  SURGERY DATE: 02.24.15 (Dr. Okrainec)    

Most Active