When can I start eating raw veggies and salads?

caramilk016
on 12/12/14 6:33 am - Mississauga , Canada
RNY on 10/22/14

I am 7 1/2 weeks post op, and I am having issues getting my veggies in. I hate them cooked, I can't get my mind to cooperate. I love my veggies raw...

I use spinach in wraps to replace lettuce, and boil potatoes.. but everything else I gag over. I've tried, I really have BUT to no avail.

So how soon can I eat em raw?

Hollynik
on 12/12/14 9:51 am - Canada

I am 4 months out and I just started eating salad about 2 weeks ago but I did it by slowly cooking my vegetables less and less until I could eat them just steamed easily.  The dietician at my 1 month class said soft things like cucumber and tomato around 7-8 weeks because of the seeds.  I feel like with my clinic it really is trial and error, if you chew it well and can tolerate it you can try it.  This is just my opinion so maybe a call into your clinic could shed some light on it for you.

1HealthyMomma
on 12/13/14 3:56 am - Oshawa, Canada
RNY on 10/07/14

I will be 10 weeks on Tuesday. When I was done the stages, 2 weeks fluids 1 week puree and 1 week minced, I slowly started eating all healthy foods. I chew well and eat slow but I have been eating tomatoes, lettuce and cucumber for weeks now. I also love clementines and have had some apple. I don't have much room for veggies or fruit but do enjoy small amounts daily. I figure the only way I will no if I can eat it is to try it. I must add I do get in my protein and haven't had issues with that I always eat protein first.

Take Care

Lisa

Laparoscopic Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass On October 7,2014 with Dr. Hagen   

TES
on 12/13/14 8:01 am - Ottawa, Canada

I slowly started incorporating veggies (raw) once I was onto the "diet for life" part of my eating program.  This was probably about 6 - 8 weeks out.  I started with soft, moist veggies and fruit (cucumber, tomato, peeled grapes, banana) and slowly added in others.  Five months out and I can eat small amounts of everything.  

Start slowly, try a little raw veg, chew it well and see what happens.  If your body doesn't react well, wait a couple of weeks and try again.

TES

caramilk016
on 12/15/14 1:30 am - Mississauga , Canada
RNY on 10/22/14

THanks everyone! That helps a little. I'll buy some raw and try it.. 

Most Active