How did your tastes change after surgery?

Dreamy74
on 12/10/14 12:48 am
RNY on 02/04/15

I know everyone is different and I will be too, but I am just wondering (so I can get a sense) of how your tastes changed after surgery - i.e. did you like milk in your tea before and now you like it black, or do you find artificial sweetener tastes super sweet? - Stuff like that.  Please share, I'd be eternally grateful!

Loaf
on 12/10/14 2:03 am - Canada
VSG on 10/31/14

i am 6 weeks post op VSG.   if anything  i find things really salty... I used to add salt to most of my meals... not any more.... i have also found that i have no desire for sweets.  I was never a huge sweet eater before, but right now i have no desire to have anything sweet.  Other then that... nothing much has changed.

Karen M.
on 12/10/14 2:20 am - Mississauga, Canada

Absolutely everything became sickly sweet to me post-surgery. Even drinking plain white milk was too sweet for my palate. It hasn't gone away much at 8.5 years post-op either.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Dreamy74
on 12/10/14 3:34 am
RNY on 02/04/15

Thanks for sharing gals!  That's very interesting about the milk Karen. 

Freshlila
on 12/10/14 7:09 am

Hello hi hey!!

I am almost a month post op and the biggest change for me is...I love fruits!!!!! They taste like candy to me now, before they weren't so good or sweet now it's like heaven in my mouth!!!

i am not a coffee or tea drinker so I can't really compare in that sense but I was a hard core sweet eater and now fruits gives me my fix and more!!!

(deactivated member)
on 12/10/14 8:25 pm - Canada
RNY on 04/16/14

Hi,

Since surgery I find anything sweet is not as good and I like things now that I did not like before like I now love hummus and hated it before.....

I do not mind sugar free stuff now as a snack when I have a sweet tooth but tend to crave cheeese vs sugary items....

Kelly

kristaeb
on 12/10/14 9:20 pm

Hello, i am just like Karen A lot of stuff tastes sweet to me, and i have a hard time with salty taste as well, lots of things taste too salty..I dont like the taste of hamburger or red meat anymore, i eat chicken , turkey..Also my sense of smell is heightened after surgery, and still is...I have very little desire to eat bread and i am very thankful for that because carbs have been my down fall all my life til surgery..Good luck to you..Krista..

Refered Jan 15/13..Surgery June 27/13 , Dr Hagan.

Jiliana2
on 12/10/14 11:06 pm - Ottawa, Canada
VSG on 02/03/14

Like Karen, I find sweet tastes are intensified.

I find I do not want bread, rice, pasta, cereal or crackers at all. The taste or two I've had does not agree with me.

Milk gives me a little trouble (like ache or slight pain in my tummy) so I've cut that out, but I can still have cheese and yogourt without any trouble at all.

OTTAWA -- 2011 - Contemplated WLS Feb. 15, 2013 - GP Feb. 20 - lung functioning Feb. 22 - blood work Feb. 27 - Referral April 19 - orientation, bloodwork July 10 - nurse July 23 - rheumatologist (VSG) Sept. 12 - Behaviourist & Dietician Oct. 23 - Echocardiogram Nov. 6 - Pre-surgery Class Nov. 12 - Surgeon Jan 13, 2014 - Optifast (3 wks) Jan. 27 - PATTS Feb. 3, 2014 - Surgery (VSG)
HEIGHT: 5'5" HW
303 Pre-Opti 297 SW 271 GW 170 CW 200 (Feb. 8, 2018 - damn the regain!) VSG with Dr. Yelle

Mary A.
on 12/11/14 12:25 am

I couldn't eat bread, buns or wraps for probably close to two years, even an open faced sandwich was too much.  Now I have the odd piece of toast or a 1/2 a bun with a hamburger, but I have grown to like it without the carbs .  I also don't eat fried food, sure something fried in olive oil, but gone are the days of chicken balls and onion rings and I don't miss them at all.

I am almost 6 years post-op and on occasion I do have (1) sip of soda/pop...just for ???  but it's obviously never mor ethan a sip, because the carbonation is horrid.

I only use Splenda, I can't use Sugar Twin or the one in the blue packets as I find them super sweet.  I still believe it or pick up food items and read the labels, I personally top out at about 16g/sugar in a serving, anything higher and I know I am headed for trouble.

After my RNY I bought every SF type item you can imagine, jam, barbecue sauce etc etc.  I ended up throwing most of it out...why......because think about it, you mix up two lbs of hamburger for your family for the barbecue and you put in 3 tablespoons of BBQ sauce, how much are you going to get in your (1) burger..not a heck of a lot...either that or mix yours seperatlyy.  I found SF BBQ sauce made my burger fall apart completely..and SF Pancake syrup..for the teaspoon I use it wasn't worth buying more.

If you eat jam everyday and can finish a jar in a couple of weeks then SF might be the way to go, but in my house all of those items have to be checked for expiry dates as often they are not empty by the exipry date.

Your tastes will obviously change as you eliminate sugar and carbs from your diet and then reintroduce them in moderation.

prior to surgery 323lbs....4 years post-op maintaining between 108- 114 lb loss. 

life is AMAZING when you continue on the right path~!.  Use your surgeons gift to the fullest~!

Mary
surgery done in Duluth, MN

Zizzler
on 12/11/14 5:59 am

Mostly at 4 months post op I have been able to eat everything I have tried.  Chicken breast and fried eggs sometimes do not sit well. Raw veggies I am very careful to chew extremely well.

Most Active