a little worriedI was set on vsg but surgeon sad not qualified needrny

kathie1212
on 12/2/14 10:44 am - Stoney Creek , Canada

I am a little stressed about this as I did all this research on sleeve and I know a few people that have had each and all my rny friendls that I know have had regain like a fair amount but the sleevers I know are all staying slim.  I hope I am getting the right surgery for me, Any one out there have any encouraging words to put my mind at ease ?

Patm
on 12/2/14 11:33 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

Personally I do not think it matters the surgery but the attitude you have after and how you handle things. There are a lot of successful RNY people

I am only almost 3 years and feel I am a success. But there are others on here further out than me who have done great

Karen M.
on 12/2/14 8:11 pm - Mississauga, Canada

As Pat mentioned, weight loss surgery is a tool. All tools have benefits and drawbacks - you will be successful in losing weight with any of the surgery types, your mindset and eating habits will determine your level of success over the long term. Words of encouragement? RNY has been a lifesaver for me - I had surgery 8.5 years ago, lost 170 pounds and have maintained that in the long run through planning, organization, accountability, and mindful eating habits.

Good luck.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

kellybelly333
on 12/3/14 12:24 am - Toronto, Canada

Had my RNY surgery March/2011. I have lost my weight and maintained. 

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

kathie1212
on 12/3/14 10:32 am - Stoney Creek , Canada

thanks Ladies I so appreciate your words of encouragement

Nanato2
on 12/3/14 7:42 pm - Canada
VSG on 02/12/13

I had the sleeve and I have had some regain and I know others who had sleeve and regained. I believe both procedures are great if I had my way I would have had RNY there is more restriction. I think there can be regain with both it is how we deal with things afterwards like going back to old habits which I did for awhile and now trying to get back on track.

Referral- March 2012, Letter April 19, Orientation TWH- June 6, NP - July 3, Sleep Apena test July 16, Internist and SW  - July 17, Nutritional class - July 23, Dietician appt. July 30th, Psych-Social appt - Aug 20th. Follow up with doctor sleep apena Aug. 28th  Surgeons appt. - Dec. 14th Dr. Jackson. Surgery date - Feb 12 2013 - VSG   

kathie1212
on 12/4/14 10:53 am - Stoney Creek , Canada

Thanks for that! I guess it really comes down to how well I stick to te new lifestyle not the procedure that matters! 

Most Active