What if I my bmi falls below 40?

artstar
on 11/29/14 5:27 am

Hi, I've noticed most wait times are a year. Currently, my bmi hovers around 40-45. What if I go through the referral process, and closer to the end of the wait time my bmi falls below 40? Would I be denied?

i still want to make effort to lose weight in the year of waiting...

if if I try to do the procedure out if country, will ohip cover if I go through the rest of the referral procedure?

artstar
on 11/29/14 9:03 am

Also, opti is a fast like regimen that you do for some weeks before the surgery?

and if I were to be declined due to a falling bmi, which appt/stage would that be decisioned on?

(deactivated member)
on 11/29/14 10:22 am, edited 11/29/14 10:23 am - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 10/20/14

Hi Artstar!

If you have any obesity related conditions such as diabetes, sleep apnea, high blood pressure etc, you only need to have a BMI of 35 or more. So if you have any comorbs, and end up with a BMI over 35, you will be fine. If you do not have any, then yes, you will need a BMI of 40 or higher.

I am not sure where you are located, but the wait times seem to be just shy of a year, I was seven months from referral to surgery, mind you I live beside the hospital, have a flexible schedule, and took advantage of cancellations. 

I am not sure about the out of country question, you will have to research that more. I believe I did read they were not funding this any longer unless in an emergency situation, as the waits are not really all that long in Ontario. We are very lucky that we have the short timelines we do. 

Not sure if you have been on the Ontario bariatric Registry, but its a good place to start with getting information. http://www.ontariobariatricnetwork.ca/faq.aspx

Patm
on 11/29/14 10:46 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

Most hospitals go by the BMI you have when you enter the program. Depending on the hospital  they may require you to lose weight. If you are able to lose the weight without surgery go for it. Many of us tried every diet out their. Surgery was the last resort.

Good luck in your journey

Karen M.
on 11/30/14 12:06 am - Mississauga, Canada

Others have answered re. your BMI but I will say that making an effort to lose is a great idea. My best suggestion is to take this time to recognize your issues with eating, learn new skills and tools to assist in losing and maintaining weight and to practice those skills. Dealing with the psychological aspect of major weight loss is also crucial.

As for out of country - no, OHIP no longer funds out of country weight loss surgeries.

K.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Most Active