Follow up with my PS . Some would rejoice, but....

kellybelly333
on 12/2/14 10:56 pm - Toronto, Canada

I had a revision to my original panniculectomy (Jan./13) and Because of my seroma, I have to wear my binder and not exercise until at least February 25th. This puts a big dent in my training, and I won't be able to do my next two races.

It's funny. Four years ago, I would have been ecstatic that I was on doctor's orders to lay off exercise. 

Please know that I do know that there are worse things out there, and I am very healthy. I'm just a little sad and venting. I had plans. They are shifting. Oh well. 

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

Needanewbeginning
on 12/2/14 11:20 pm - Barrie, Canada
RNY on 05/21/13

Oh Kelly! I am sorry to hear this! I know you work very hard at training for your marathons and running and exercise are a big part of your daily routine. I really miss my routine at the gym during my recovery now from plastics, it's only for six weeks, but I really miss it.

I hope the time passes quickly for you. 

Annette 😄

Starting weight: 334 lbs.Starting opti weight: 323 lbs, Surgery weight 303 lbs.Surgery-May 21st, 2013 with Dr Hagen at HRRH Goal weight 165 lbs reached at 13 months. Current weight 156 lbs

kellybelly333
on 12/2/14 11:28 pm - Toronto, Canada

Thanks. It will be three months total for me. And that puts me way back for training. But, it's important to heal. Boooo

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

Needanewbeginning
on 12/2/14 11:30 pm - Barrie, Canada
RNY on 05/21/13

Ugh, that is a long time isn't it! 

Starting weight: 334 lbs.Starting opti weight: 323 lbs, Surgery weight 303 lbs.Surgery-May 21st, 2013 with Dr Hagen at HRRH Goal weight 165 lbs reached at 13 months. Current weight 156 lbs

kellybelly333
on 12/3/14 12:25 am - Toronto, Canada

Yep, it sure is! 

Ipatton
on 12/2/14 11:22 pm - Canada

vent away, just curious, and maybe its something for a different post, but I have always been curious about running after WLS, particularly the distance runs, half/full marathons.  They are a long way out for me, but I have know people who (without surgery) do them and they always have crazy specialized diets/loading prior to the run.  Do you have any issues with energy balance while training and competing in these runs with the limited intake/absorption due to the WLS?

Ipatton
on 12/2/14 11:22 pm - Canada

vent away, just curious, and maybe its something for a different post, but I have always been curious about running after WLS, particularly the distance runs, half/full marathons.  They are a long way out for me, but I have know people who (without surgery) do them and they always have crazy specialized diets/loading prior to the run.  Do you have any issues with energy balance while training and competing in these runs with the limited intake/absorption due to the WLS?

kellybelly333
on 12/2/14 11:34 pm - Toronto, Canada

It took a lot of work to figure out nutrition. I am four years out in March, so I don't have malabsorption anymore, and my intake is much bigger than early out. I personally don't really think it's a good idea to train for long distance until you are 18 months out, and malabsorption slows down. I was at goal just after a year, so I also didn't have to worry about trying to lose. I gain a few pounds during the last few weeks of training, as my carb intake is significant. For marathon and ironman training, I eat off the normal WLS program. I have tested gels, and I eat bananas and bagels. When i'm not training, it's back to regular WLS eating.

Carb-loading is easier the further out you get....and I don't really carb load for anything less than a full marathon, or half ironman. I MIGHt have a bit of pasta at lunch the day before a half marathon, but that's it for me.  

Ipatton
on 12/2/14 11:47 pm - Canada

Thanks for the insight, I have my surgery on Friday so I am getting ahead of myself a bit but I really enjoyed running pre-op with all of my other weight loss attempts, so hopefully it is something that I can get back into slowly.  it is nice to know it can be done!

Ipatton
on 12/2/14 11:47 pm - Canada

Thanks for the insight, I have my surgery on Friday so I am getting ahead of myself a bit but I really enjoyed running pre-op with all of my other weight loss attempts, so hopefully it is something that I can get back into slowly.  it is nice to know it can be done!

Most Active