Iron Infusion

(deactivated member)
on 12/1/14 1:07 am - Peterborough, Canada
RNY on 10/19/12

I am scheduled for my first Iron Infusion on Friday. Can anyone tell me what to expect and what your experience has done. Thanks for your input. Deb

Karen M.
on 12/1/14 1:47 am - Mississauga, Canada

I've had several iron infusions. They'll likely (if your doctor has ordered it) take blood, hook you up to an IV with iron which will take a couple of hours to run through depending on your dose, run a bag of fluids and you're done (unless your doctor has ordered post-infusion blood work as well). Not sure how many you're signed up for - my first round was a 12 week dose, my last was a 3 week dose at a higher amount of iron. No side or after effects from the infusion but it sure did make me feel better when my hemoglobin and ferritin were at a normal level.

K.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

(deactivated member)
on 12/1/14 2:39 am - Peterborough, Canada
RNY on 10/19/12

Thanks Karen, I am looking forward to this. I am so tired  much of the time and can fall asleep so easily. I was concerned about the some of the side effects that I had red about but willing to do it anyway. Thanks again. Deb 

Karen M.
on 12/1/14 2:41 am - Mississauga, Canada

They will keep a close eye on you as it is your first time - I am sure you will do just fine :)

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

SkinnyBonz38
on 12/1/14 3:21 am

Hello Debra G. I have had iron infusions. They were very nice (I too was very nervous in the beginning) But the male nurse came in and explained everything step by step. I felt better when I left the office and was scheduled soon after for the infusion. My iron level was so low they were threatening to hospitalize me. I was told to have someone drive me home and to expect to be there for about four hours. So when you arrive and get registered in they have the port entry placed in your arm and off you go to the treatment room with the other patients who are there for the same thing or chemo treatments. 

I was given Benadryl and tylenol and then the iron. The Benadryl and iron are drips, and it usually takes about an hour or more to drip through you. Your temperature is taken before and after as well as your bp. They will offer you juice water and crackers (or you may bring your own snacks) and/or a blanket and pillows. Bring reading materials it's a wonderful time to sleep. It is very peaceful. I hope this helps!

(deactivated member)
on 12/1/14 3:54 am - Peterborough, Canada
RNY on 10/19/12

Thanks skinnybonz.

Most Active