Eating out

annw
on 11/17/14 9:22 pm
RNY on 07/29/14

Hi all, I'm almost four months post op and haven't eaten out yet. Can anyone suggest where to go where they can cater to bariatric diet needs?

December 12, 2013 Orientation; January 21, 2014 Nurse/Dietitian; February 12, 2014 Nurse/Dietitian/Social Worker; March 28, 2014 Nurse/Dietitian; June 9, 2014 Post Op Diet Class; June 16, 2014 Surgeon consult (Dr. Bhojani in Guelph); July 7, 2014 started Optifast; July 29, 2014 Surgery.

Patm
on 11/17/14 10:13 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

No one really caters to our needs. I found in the beginning it was easier to check out the menu before I went. I often will order from the appetizer menu. Or if I have a full meal take the remaining portion home. It is not a good time to try new foods as you will not know how you will react to them. Just order protein forward meals.

Zavz
on 11/17/14 11:30 pm - Canada

I would suggest a Greek restaurant. One and a half chicken sticks is just under 3oz of meat. (I have taken my scale with me, it looks like an iPad lol) and then I take the other half of the stick home. Another good place is Swiss Chalet. 

Lori_Lee
on 11/17/14 11:47 pm - Canada

Swiss Chalet was a good place for me - bowl of their soup and a few bites of my hubby's chicken (just so I could have the sauce )

Most places have a nice soup - try sticking to that... I have learnt that ordering a full meal is not good when in a group as hard to stop as it is not on my small plate and not look like someone who is not eating. 

I stick with an app, salad or soup.  If with my family, I can get a full meal and take 1/2 home or split with someone.

If you are nervous to dump, get a soup from Swiss and bring it home, try it then you will know.

Lori Lee

TWH Orientation - Oct 17, 2012   SW - Nov 19, 2012   Nurse - Dec 12, 2012  Group Nutrition Class - Jan 14, 2013  Psychologist Feb 12, 2013  Nutrition March 15, 2013 Surgeon - April 5th (Dr Penner) Surgery May 16th 

Catw
on 11/17/14 11:47 pm - Arnprior, Canada

You could probably go almost anywhere.  There should be something that you can eat, even if it's just a bowl of soup.  Look at restaurants in your area that have menus on line, so that you can pre-pick your order.  The only place that wouldn't be suitable to eat at would be a buffet.  There would be food, but you wouldn't eat enough to make it worth it.  I would also avoid chinese for now, they have a lot of deep fried food on the menu. That and a lot of sweet or spicey (my tummy doesn't agree with either) sauces.

Enjoy your dinner.

Cathy

TES
on 11/18/14 2:52 am - Ottawa, Canada

I tend to stay away from Pub-type places since a lot of their food is deep fried.  I've had good luck at Red Lobster (they have a lighter menu and my new tummy LOVES seafood), I've also done well at steak houses since meat is the main thrust of their menus and most have veggie/salad sides instead of fries.  I always check out menus on-line first if I can so that I can make an informed decision and not be impulsive at the last minute.

TES

Zizzler
on 11/18/14 6:56 am

At four months out you can probably find something virtually anywhere, as others have mentioned. Get creative in order to keep it healthy, most places are happy to substitute a healthier side or hold the bun. Since I rarely can eat more than a quarter of the meal I ask for a take-home container after I order.  Then when the food comes I remove 3/4 into my little container and I am left with a reasonable portion.  That way I do not accidentally overeat or keep nibbling at the food.  I usually order something moist and high protein with a lower carb veggie on the side.  I really like mucho burrito "burrito bowls", which is the inside of a burrito without the tortilla, and I ask for no rice. I usually get 3 meals out of one bowl, it is filling.  Another place I like to go is a "the works" as they have turkey burgers, I get one patty without a bun with mushroom cheese garlic and avocado slices on it, and one of their healthier sides.  They have various raw veggies, steamed veggies, and salads as sides.  Ask for a takeout container, you will not want any to go to waste. 

redviking
on 11/18/14 10:54 am - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 07/22/14

I've been out a handful of times. I eat slow, and only an appropriate portion. Pack up the rest to bring home.

Things I've had at restaurants:

salmon fillet 

chicken souvlaki

chicken penne with roasted veg, hold the penne

turkey burger with no bun

chicken with pea pods from a Vietnamese restaurant

scrambled egg

roasted chicken, skin removed

Referral: Nov 12   Sleep Study: Feb 13   Orientation: Feb 13  1st appt NSWD: May 13   2nd appt NSWD July 13  2nd Sleep Study: Dec 13   Post Op Nut: April 14 Meet Dr. Pereira-Hong: May 14  PATTS: July 8 14   Surgery: July 22 14

betony63
on 11/18/14 11:42 am

Hi Ann!

I don't have any words of wisdom but I just wanted to say how well you're doing!  You inspire me! 

Beth

GUELPH. Referral: Dec 6/13. Orientation: Mar 6/14, Post-op Diet Class: Sept 22/14, Meeting with Surgeon: Dec 2/14, Surgery: Jan 22/15

annw
on 11/18/14 9:35 pm
RNY on 07/29/14

Is that you Beth? If it is, your day is coming soon. We can be inspiration buddies!

December 12, 2013 Orientation; January 21, 2014 Nurse/Dietitian; February 12, 2014 Nurse/Dietitian/Social Worker; March 28, 2014 Nurse/Dietitian; June 9, 2014 Post Op Diet Class; June 16, 2014 Surgeon consult (Dr. Bhojani in Guelph); July 7, 2014 started Optifast; July 29, 2014 Surgery.

Most Active