I FELT THE FULL FEELING' First time since surgery.

(deactivated member)
on 11/14/14 6:40 am - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 10/20/14

HOLY CRAP. I am no doctor, but the nerves in my stomach definitely seem to be working now. I remember at 1,2, and even 3 weeks out, I wasn't really feeling that full feeling after eating. It worried me! I of course had those silly thoughts of "Great, I am going to be one of the people that this surgery doesn't work for, I'm going to be BIG forever"

I have been eating mostly protein, and very minimal carbs, but today I decided to try mashed potatoes for the first time since surgery, I measured out 1/2 a cup which is what my NUT wants me to aim for, and one table spoon had me feeling full! WHAT THE HELL. One table spoon, really. That's crazy to me. What a change from the portions I used to consume in one sitting. 

Have a great weekend all! Think I'll stay away from the mashed for a while. They just feel HEAVY!

Karen M.
on 11/14/14 7:26 am - Mississauga, Canada

1/2 a CUP of mashed potatoes??!! Ohhhh no, no, no. WAY too much. I don't eat that NOW.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

(deactivated member)
on 11/14/14 10:11 am - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 10/20/14

LOL Won't serve myself that much mashed again! Kinda figured it may be too much after a tablespoon filled me up.

Zizzler
on 11/14/14 11:07 am

I love mashed potatoes but do not eat them in order to save room for protein-rich foods. Yes it is filling and addictive. I would not make a habit of it though - the last time I had some mashed potato I had cravings for days afterward. That is why I do not keep it and other trigger foods (chips, rice, pasta, bread, sugar) in my house. Mashed cauliflower makes a nice substitute, and there are lots of recipes for this online. So far I find the foods that fill me up fastest are legumes, meat, tofu, vegetables, cottage cheese, anything dense and solid.  I am wondering if maybe they were instant mashed potatoes?  If they were if they were not fully rehydrated they can expand in your stomach after being eaten, maybe that is why they were so filling?  Just a thought.  They actually use mashed potato flakes to kill mice for that reason, the mice eat it and their stomachs burst and they die.  Pretty awful eh? After I hear that many years ago I could not eat instant mashed potatoes without thinking about those poor little mice...

Highest: 320, Surgery: 255 (Aug/14), Lowest: 132, Current: 167, Goal: 155

Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards. - Soren Kierkegaard

(deactivated member)
on 11/15/14 7:01 am - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 10/20/14

Nope! They were real mashed. And that is disgusting about the mice!!! I have made mashed cauli many times, it is a good alternative, and tasty. :)

dentedsmile
on 11/14/14 2:28 pm - Mississauga, Canada
RNY on 10/28/14

I had that same feeling today! :) It was day 1 of my puree stage i made the Baked Ricotta dish portioned out 1/4 cup portion and couldn't eat past half lol so i had to split it into 2 snacks! i LOVED THAT! lol. #feelingfull WOOT!

Referral sent- July 2013 Orientation TWH- July 2, 2014 Social Worker- July 17, 2014 Nurse Practitioner-July 25, 2014 Psychologist - July 28, 2014 Nutrition Class- July 29, 2014  Dietician - July 30, 2014 Nurse Prac. Follow-up (Stress Test) - August 7, 2014 Meet Surgeon (Dr. Ori Rotstein)- September 26, 2014 Pre-op Testing - October 20, 2014 Surgery Date -OCTOBER 28, 2014  

(deactivated member)
on 11/15/14 7:02 am - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 10/20/14

Today was even worse! I feel full off nothing!!! I can see getting in the required protein becoming a challenge!

CassieM
on 11/14/14 8:14 pm - St.Thomas, Canada

You have me hope!!!! I have also been struggling with not feeling full! I was starting to feel like a failure as well! Thank you so much for posting this. Now I know it's not just me!!!! 

(deactivated member)
on 11/15/14 7:03 am - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 10/20/14

Not sure about everyone, but it took me nearly a month post op to get the full feeling~!!

sadgirl89
on 11/21/14 1:03 pm

What does the "full" feeling feel like for you? Is it uncomfortable? Does it feel the same as it felt before having the surgery?

Most Active