Got my orientation date!!!!!!

Nurs_T
on 11/11/14 12:18 pm - London, Canada

HI everyone, this has been a very long road for me.  I started this journey in 2008 with my family doctor being against the surgery.  I jumped through all his hoops.  Then in 2012 he finally referred me for surgery.  I went to the orientation class in Windsor in October 2012 and was told that because I was a smoker I couldn't move forward until I quit!  Well it took me 2 yrs to quit and im finally smoke free for over 6 months now.  My family doctor re-referred me and my orientation date is December 10th in Windsor!  I just got the letter in the mail today!  I'm over the moon excited!  I can't wait to finally start the ball rolling!

Karen M.
on 11/11/14 8:52 pm - Mississauga, Canada

It certainly has been a long road to get you started! Huge congratulations to you re. quitting smoking. That is a VERY bitter pill to swallow and I admire your strength! December 10th will be here before you know it. Welcome to the forum, it is great to have you here.

Karen :)

P.S. You may already be aware of this but you have an excellent support group in Windsor run by Diminishing Dawn (her user name here on OH). Be sure to contact her for details!

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Nurs_T
on 11/11/14 9:08 pm - London, Canada

Thanks Karen!  It defiantly has been a long road but it's made me want this more than ever.   I've researched, seen friends and coworkers have the surgery after hearing me talk about it.  It's been hard but since quiting smoking I feel like nothing can stop me now!

I have a question I've seen a lot of people talking about having a sleep study done.  This is new to me.  Does everyone have to have it done?  How do they decide if you need it done or not?

Thanks 

Karen M.
on 11/11/14 9:20 pm - Mississauga, Canada

Not everyone has to have the sleep study done, but it seems most do. I had one done at least 3 years prior to my surgery as I snored (according to my son in the next room who used to complain about it lol) and I was morbidly obese. I was diagnosed with sleep apnea, prescribed a CPAP which I used for years, and it truly did help. Now that I've been at goal for so long, I no longer need the CPAP, which is a great victory.

Since you are starting the process, maybe get a referral to a sleep clinic now so you're ahead of the game, so to speak. That way you'll already have it done and it won't hold up your process.

By the way, untreated sleep apnea is extremely dangerous. The anesthesiologist will need to know for your weight loss surgery, for your safety.

Karen :)

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Jiliana2
on 11/11/14 9:25 pm - Ottawa, Canada
VSG on 02/03/14

Congrats on getting your orientation date! How absolutely excellent!

But more to the point, the fact that you stuck with it and quit smoking proves to me how absolutely determined you must be to do this to better your health. That's wonderful! You should be very proud!

As for the sleep study, not everyone needs one, but many of us do. At my orientation, I met with a nurse first and she asked questions that helped her determine if I needed a sleep study. Do you snore? Do you wake frequently at night? Do you startle awake at night? Do you feel refreshed after a night of sleep? How many hours do you sleep? What position do you sleep in? Etc. And she measured the circumference of my neck; apparently that has something to do with it. The doctors determined that I did not require a sleep study, but many people do in the course of being evaluated for surgery. I was prepared to have one just in case. That was my personal experience; yours may be different.

Good luck at the orientation in Windsor, and yes, get in touch with Diminishing Dawn; she's a great resource and has a wealth of knowledge.

OTTAWA -- 2011 - Contemplated WLS Feb. 15, 2013 - GP Feb. 20 - lung functioning Feb. 22 - blood work Feb. 27 - Referral April 19 - orientation, bloodwork July 10 - nurse July 23 - rheumatologist (VSG) Sept. 12 - Behaviourist & Dietician Oct. 23 - Echocardiogram Nov. 6 - Pre-surgery Class Nov. 12 - Surgeon Jan 13, 2014 - Optifast (3 wks) Jan. 27 - PATTS Feb. 3, 2014 - Surgery (VSG)
HEIGHT: 5'5" HW
303 Pre-Opti 297 SW 271 GW 170 CW 200 (Feb. 8, 2018 - damn the regain!) VSG with Dr. Yelle

Most Active