Alcohol - first experience post-op

lalalalaura13
on 11/13/14 11:49 pm - Toronto, Canada

Hi everyone - just curious what kind of experiences you all had with your first drink post-op?  I have a dinner next week and am hoping to have some wine - just curious to hear some of your experiences with it for the first time post-op.  Hope to hear from some of you!  Thanks!

kimber291
on 11/14/14 12:15 am - Port Hope, ON, Canada
RNY on 02/11/14

9 months post op and still haven't touched it. They advise not to.

Your not that far out yet, are you? Maybe I'm mixing you up with someone else ? 

Referral - Oct 29/13

Info Session - Nov 18/13...1st surgeon appt - Nov 26/13...RN/SW/RD - Dec - 4/13...Dr.Glazer - Jan 8/14...2nd Surgeon appt - Jan 22/14 PATTS - Jan 29/14...

SURGERY!!!! FEBRUARY 11th 2014.

aamber02
on 11/14/14 12:57 am

I'm only 4 months out and haven't tasted any bad fats, sugars or carbs in over 6 months or drank for over a year - until last weekend. Obviously way too early and not justifying with my strict diet intro but I feel bad about it and don't want anyone to get the idea that I'm advocating drinking early out.

I drank wine out a shot glass for portion control during a games night with my husband ad a few friends. It always took a lot to get me tipsy before so I figured I'd be ok with a shot of wine. Nope! Almost directly after drinking I was laughing maniacally at everything and had another 3 shots of wine...I was really drunk, sitting on the floor laughing at nothing kind of drunk. Not sure for how long but it certainely wasnt the normal duration of alcohol and I felt sober after, like going from 0 to 10 to 0 again, no in between. It'll be a long time before I drink again, the calories weren't worth the duration haha.

I suggest waiting longer than I did (obviously) and drinking at home first to see how it affects you.

Referral: July 11, 2013         Surgery: July 14, 2014

Patm
on 11/14/14 1:21 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

I would not try any alcohol until you have tried it at home. For most of us it hits us hard. You should be at least 6mths out before experimenting. Many hospitals are changing that to 1 years. There is a great fear of cross addition

NorthernStar
on 11/14/14 2:20 am - London, Canada
RNY on 06/25/12

Hold off on the alcohol as long as possible. I had a bit of wine at about 7 months out but that was it for another year. Your liver is working hard enough as you lose weight, don't stress it out. It will hit you hard. I have a glass of wine now and then and it hits me harder than it ever did pre-op. I only drink a bit.

*Lindsey*

Keeping off 133 lbs since 2012!

Referral to Bariatric Registry: May 2011   /   Surgery (HRRH): June 25, 2012         

Needanewbeginning
on 11/14/14 3:37 am - Barrie, Canada
RNY on 05/21/13

Totally agree, try it at home first, but you must be at the very least six months out but HRRH suggest one year now. My surgeon was a year.

You won't believe how it hits you, it's very very hard on our liver, not worth the buzz.

Starting weight: 334 lbs.Starting opti weight: 323 lbs, Surgery weight 303 lbs.Surgery-May 21st, 2013 with Dr Hagen at HRRH Goal weight 165 lbs reached at 13 months. Current weight 156 lbs

Blueiiis
on 11/14/14 10:47 pm - Mississauga, Canada
RNY on 08/11/14

Great timing on this post.... I was wondering the same thing.  Have a special occasion coming up and was thinking about having a glass of something but I think I will skip it.

Most Active