Re-start-20 months post-op

LilyBugsMommy
on 11/10/14 11:02 pm - Kingston, Canada
RNY on 03/12/13

For a while now I have been thinking about trying to "re-start" myself. Take things back to basics. Get my eating under control. Although I make sure to get all of my vitamins and protein in each day, I have been slipping in the junk food area for quite some time. I am 20 months post-op. I haven't lost anything for months and that is okay. I am happy where I am. Thankfully, I have not gained anything either. I just bounce around the same 5 lbs, over and over again.

I have to say, I have always felt that this journey would help me to lose weight initially so that I could get good habits in place, like eating well, drinking water, exercising. All of these things are basically happening. I also believe that people can and need to have things in moderation. I was never one of these people that said, "I will never eat carbs or sweets again!". I don't agree with that. However, I have noticed that I have become quite addicted to sweets the last few months. They consume a lot of my thoughts during the day. What can I have? When can I have it? (I can't eat too much, too close together or I get sick). So, over the last few weeks I started contemplating the "re-start" idea.

I started that yesterday. My plan is pretty basic. For one week I am going to use protein shakes only, if possible. If I feel hungry (or sick, which happens when I wait too long to eat), then I will eat some protein (meat, tuna, eggs, cheese). I am not going to have any carbs for the week and definitely no sweets! I am not doing this to try to lose more weight. I am doing this to try to break my sugar addiction cycle. You know, the more you have, the more you want! I am definitely at that point.

So far, it has been great. I only really wanted something sweet last night (night time is my worst time for snacking). I stuck to my guns and didn't have anything. One interesting thing that I did note after my first full day of my new, temporary plan is that I did not feel hungry or sick, did not get any headaches and felt just fine. This is telling me that not only do I need to curb my sweet addiction, but, that I have probably been eating too much overall. I am finding this very interesting and learning some things about my self along the way.

After my one week is up, I will return to normal eating habits, making sure it is always protein first, followed by veggies, then fruit. I still believe that I can have the occasional sweet treat, I just have to make sure it doesn't escalate into a daily (and usually more than once per day) event.

Referral to Ottawa: Jan/11 Info Session: May/11 Nurse: Feb/12 Dietician/Behavourist/Abdominal Scan: Apr/12 Pre-op Education Class: Feb. 6/13 Meet Surgeon  Feb.15/13 Surgery with Dr. Raiche March 12/13!!

The race isn't given to the swift nor the strong, but it's given to the ones who endure it to the end...

RYMEBE73
on 11/10/14 11:22 pm - Guelph, Canada
RNY on 06/30/15

wow, this is awesome that you can "own up" to being human!  Very inspiring for me, being pre-op to know that no matter how long it's been, you still need to respect the tool that was given to you.  Cheers to you for having such strong willpower!  I only hope I can be as diligent as you are when it's my turn!

Moving on doesn't mean you forget about things.  It just means you have to accept what happened and continue LIVING  

Needanewbeginning
on 11/11/14 12:08 am - Barrie, Canada
RNY on 05/21/13

Great post. Good luck, you have done so well and will continue to I know you will. 

Annette 👍

Starting weight: 334 lbs.Starting opti weight: 323 lbs, Surgery weight 303 lbs.Surgery-May 21st, 2013 with Dr Hagen at HRRH Goal weight 165 lbs reached at 13 months. Current weight 156 lbs

LilyBugsMommy
on 11/11/14 1:11 am - Kingston, Canada
RNY on 03/12/13

Thank you!

Referral to Ottawa: Jan/11 Info Session: May/11 Nurse: Feb/12 Dietician/Behavourist/Abdominal Scan: Apr/12 Pre-op Education Class: Feb. 6/13 Meet Surgeon  Feb.15/13 Surgery with Dr. Raiche March 12/13!!

The race isn't given to the swift nor the strong, but it's given to the ones who endure it to the end...

Zizzler
on 11/11/14 4:07 am

Good for you for keeping on top of this.  You can always contact your centre too for tips and advice, support.  I have heard that some people are never hungry after surgery or for a long time afterward - I am not one of those people.  I have to eat regularly or I start to feel sick and weak. Sweets are not my problem as I rarely crave them, for me I still crave the carbs.  Some days are really hard, especially as the weather gets colder and stress goes up at work. I agree with you that telling yourself you will never have a certain food again does not work, but on the other hand some foods trigger you to want more of them, especially if they a lot of contain salt, sugar, fat.  It can be like an addict trying to only have one hit of a drug and not become dependent.  That is why some people choose to stay away from these "trigger" foods. If I kept chips in my house,  I would want only the chips and would eat them until they are gone.  So I do not bring them in my house. Same with rice, potatoes, flour, sugar, sweets, pastries.  That way my home becomes a safe zone.  The challenge for me is going out into the world where these foods are everywhere, but at least at home I can relax and know that all the foods available are good for me. 

MadMax1010
on 11/11/14 5:31 am - Collingwood, Canada
RNY on 02/06/13

WOW seems it's not just me that's having a problem, thank you for posting this.

Jiliana2
on 11/11/14 9:37 pm - Ottawa, Canada
VSG on 02/03/14

Congrats to you for realizing that you are slipping and owning it. That's the first step, as I'm sure you well know at 20 months post-op. It's hard to admit that we are human (and thus fallible) but you have all the tools in place and the skills to get yourself back on track.

Nights are my worst too. A few hours after supper, I tend to start foraging for something to fill the void. I recognize that I am not hungry, but it's a habit. I need to ensure that I have lots of protein-based snacks available to me. Or I simply have to quit cold turkey. It's hard because I eat dinner at 6 p.m. and then I don't usually go to bed until 11 or so... five hours of no food makes me dwell on thoughts of eating. That's not good.

I am proud of you that you stuck to your guns the other night and you didn't feel hungry or sick. Good on you! Excellent! Keep up the good work.

Give it a week or two and I bet you will see the scale move. You got this girl! You definitely got this! Find me if you want to chat. And as always, my best to you-know-who!! Hugs from the Valley.

OTTAWA -- 2011 - Contemplated WLS Feb. 15, 2013 - GP Feb. 20 - lung functioning Feb. 22 - blood work Feb. 27 - Referral April 19 - orientation, bloodwork July 10 - nurse July 23 - rheumatologist (VSG) Sept. 12 - Behaviourist & Dietician Oct. 23 - Echocardiogram Nov. 6 - Pre-surgery Class Nov. 12 - Surgeon Jan 13, 2014 - Optifast (3 wks) Jan. 27 - PATTS Feb. 3, 2014 - Surgery (VSG)
HEIGHT: 5'5" HW
303 Pre-Opti 297 SW 271 GW 170 CW 200 (Feb. 8, 2018 - damn the regain!) VSG with Dr. Yelle

LilyBugsMommy
on 11/13/14 12:26 am - Kingston, Canada
RNY on 03/12/13

Hi Jiliana, thank you for your response. Sometimes it is hard to admit when we are failing. But, I don't want to end up where I started, so, I just need to get this dealt with

My daughter is doing very well. She seems quite happy with how everything is going, hasn't had any complications and has lost 130 lbs so far, just amazing! I will tell her you send your best!

I hope all is working out okay for you. I know that night time snacking is a killer!! I need to find something to do in the evening so that I am not bored.

Hanneli xoxo
on 11/11/14 9:49 pm - Sudbury, Canada
RNY on 10/30/12

wow.. this post could've been written by me! Halloween was bad... I too have not gained any weight (yet) I am 2 years post op.. although I dislike protein supplements and am just trying to stay clear of sweets and I too don't believe in depriving myself. Now that the mini chocolate bars are gone (halloween) I am working on kicking the sugar habit! I am working on going back to my good eating habits and only having the occasional treat (not daily like I have been!!) 

LilyBugsMommy
on 11/11/14 10:04 pm - Kingston, Canada
RNY on 03/12/13

Thank you everyone for your support. It is nice to hear that as a post-op person, you are not the only one dealing with these issues. That is what I love about this site. I have been trying to be super careful about not slipping up....but, it is really hard. I seem to do okay for awhile and then just kind of crash and completely fall off my plan. Then, I pick myself back up again and re-focus. This really is a life-long journey and I know that, sometimes it is just hard to remember.

Most Active