Hair loss

melaniealbert_1978
on 11/10/14 2:23 am - Oakville, Canada

I hear a lot of people talking about hair loss. It is kind of freaking me out. How much hair loss is it? is it like bald stops and noticeable? Anyway to prevent it how long does it last?

Referral sent- Sept 26 2014, Orientation (TWH)- November 12 2014, Sleep apnea test Nov 6 2014, Social worker- Jan 20 2015, Nurse Jan 20 2015, Nutrition -Jan 26 2015

Needanewbeginning
on 11/10/14 3:10 am - Barrie, Canada
RNY on 05/21/13

I was taking biotin 1000mg twice a day preop then the same postop. Around the third month postop it hit. As I brushed my hair it came out like crazy. It wasn't bald spots really, just overall thinning. And yes it was noticeable, to me mostly, 

Biotin didn't help, nothing does really. But I gave it a whirl. Was I freaked, yes prior to it happening and during yeah I guess I was. But truthfully it's not nice, but it's not the end of the world.

It's growing back now and I actually just cut my hair short. For me that was huge! I love love love my hair now! 

Enjoy your journey. Honestly, you notice it more than others do. 

Annette 👍

Starting weight: 334 lbs.Starting opti weight: 323 lbs, Surgery weight 303 lbs.Surgery-May 21st, 2013 with Dr Hagen at HRRH Goal weight 165 lbs reached at 13 months. Current weight 156 lbs

Karen M.
on 11/10/14 3:59 am - Mississauga, Canada

Hair loss after any major surgery is possible and very common. There is no way to prevent it, unfortunately. Contrary to popular belief, Biotin does NOT prevent hair loss, thought it may promote re-growth. It will also promote growing body hair, including facial hair, which is not easily fixed, so use with caution.

I lost about 60% of my hair. I did not have bald spots - it was mostly noticeable to me and my hair stylist. Best part - it ALL grew back. I had another major surgery a couple of years ago, followed by a serious illness and I lost hair again, which was expected. It has all grown back again.

Please look up telogen effluvium. It will explain everything to you. Here is a link: http://www.aocd.org/?page=TelogenEffluviumHa

K.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Caroline K.
on 11/10/14 6:57 am, edited 11/10/14 6:57 am

On the other hand, I haven't lost more than usual, as far as I can tell. I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop :)

Referred to Guelph, Dec. 3/12. Orientation: Mar 7/13. NUT/SW/RN Jun 18/13. Nutrition Class Jul 3/13. NUT/SW/RN Aug 19/13. Post-op Nutrition Class Dec 30/13. Approval for surgery from Dr. Jules Foute Nelong Feb 10/14. Surgery Apr 23/14.

Karen M.
on 11/10/14 7:04 am - Mississauga, Canada

Lucky girl! ;)

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

TES
on 11/10/14 8:10 am - Ottawa, Canada

Mine started thinning about a month - month and a half ago.  Luckily I have LOTS of hair and it's very curly so it's covering up the thinning fairly well.  I can notice it (especially when it's wet) and my hand look like a werewolf's at a full moon when I'm shampooing.  I'm not stressing out about it.  I think I'd be a hot bald chick if worse came to worse. ;)

TES

Mamazoune
on 11/10/14 9:03 am - Canada
Revision on 08/01/12

The hair loss was quite traumatic for me....it came out in clumps...thinned out my hairdoo for sure.  It started approximately 3 months after surgery.  I had shoulder length hair and cut it to my jaw line...looked awesome and was different, 2 years later it's growing back!  Make sure to take your vitamines!

Mamazoune                
Most Active