Plastic Surgery...Do I Have to Wait???

hmtmomof4
on 10/29/14 1:20 am - Canada
RNY on 11/07/13

Hi Ladies!

Well I cannot believe I am almost 1 year past my surgery date.  My new little man is almost 2 months old and well....life is fantastic! I am at my lowest weight in years, although I still have a little ways to go.

My question is for those that have had plastic surgery after bypass....do I HAVE to wait until I reach goal weight and have maintained for a while? I only ask because I am having some really TERRIBLE skin infections from all of the loose skin around my belly and upper thighs. It is so unbelievable painful when it flares up....feels like someone is ripping my skin off. It's bad!!  I have so much skin hanging in this area that it is also uncomfortable.

I am not at my goal weight just yet, but I just cannot continue with these infections week after week.

If anyone has any insight on this, that would be great.  Also, I live in Burlington (but willing to travel into TO and area).  Can anyone recommend a good plastic surgeon?

Thanks!!

Heather

Referral Sent: Jan. 2013, Orientation: Mar. 2013, Social Worker: Jun. 2013 Nurse: Jul. 2013, Nutrition Class: Aug. 2013, Dietician: Aug. 2013, Psych: Aug 2013  Surgeon: Oct. 2013, PATTS: Nov. 2013 SURGERY: Nov. 7th 2013!!!

Needanewbeginning
on 10/29/14 1:43 am - Barrie, Canada
RNY on 05/21/13

Congratulations! You have done fantastic! 

I don't honestly think you will find a plastic surgeon who will do your surgery unless your at your goal/stable weight for a time. I know its unbearable having skin issues isn't it! It doesn't hurt to go see them for consults. 

There are a number of good surgeons out your way. A couple in Mississauga as well as Scarborough and lots in between. 

PM me if you wish, we can talk live if you want? 

Annette 

Starting weight: 334 lbs.Starting opti weight: 323 lbs, Surgery weight 303 lbs.Surgery-May 21st, 2013 with Dr Hagen at HRRH Goal weight 165 lbs reached at 13 months. Current weight 156 lbs

Mary A.
on 10/29/14 2:04 am, edited 10/29/14 2:04 am

I do not believe you have to be at a (goal) weight..I never had a goal weight but have been successful in keeping off 107lbs for over 4 years.

The main thing you should do if you haven't already is go to your doctor and have your rash looked at that can have a bearing on whether OHIp approves you for a panni removal or not.  I realize that it may be embarrassing and you are trying to deal with it yourself with creams, lotions, powder etc, but if it's reoccurring you need to get it looked at. 

I just had a pannelctomy done with Dr. Sarah Wong in Scarborough she was fantastic~!!!!

You also need to decided (not right here), but if you want more than the removal of the skin below the belly button, because if you do that is NOT covered and will cost you anywhere from $4,000+ depending on the surgeon.  I only had the panni removal and I am very happy with that

Here is the blurb from the Ministry of Health & Long Term Care (OHIP)

[PDF] Appendix D - Ontario

www.health.gov.on.ca/english/providers/program/ohip/.../append.pdf Appendix D April 1, 2012 ..... Panniculectomy is only insured in the following cir****tances and when ... approval of the General Manager of OHIP is required.

SUB-SURFACE PATHOLOGY

16. Excision of excess fatty tissue and/or skin

a. Panniculectomy is only insured in the following cir****tances and when prior authorization of payment is obtained from the MOHLTC:

i. where there is significant associated symptomatology related to the pannus;

ii. where the pannus extends to a level below the pubis symphysis; and

iii. where the patient’s weight has been stable for a minimum of 6 months when panniculectomy is requested in relation to weight loss.

b. Excision of excess fatty tissue and/or skin other than for panniculectomy is not an insured service.

[Commentary:

Examples of significant clinical symptomatology include significant pain, chronic skin breakdown, and recurrent cellulitis and/or ulcers.]  (this is you but it needs to be documented by a physician, you cannot simply state that they have been reoccurring)

If I can help in another way please private message me, if you like

M

prior to surgery 323lbs....4 years post-op maintaining between 108- 114 lb loss. 

life is AMAZING when you continue on the right path~!.  Use your surgeons gift to the fullest~!

Mary
surgery done in Duluth, MN

hmtmomof4
on 10/29/14 2:29 am, edited 10/29/14 2:33 am - Canada
RNY on 11/07/13

Thanks so much guys! I have NOT been to my doctor for these infections, just treating them at home with every cream under the sun (polysporin cream, steroid cream, gold bond etc.)  I do however take pictures of all of these infections. Is that of any help in getting this covered by OHIP? Some are pretty gruesome looking! :(

Also, does OHIP cover removal of skin on upper thighs? I have serious skin hanging there as well....also chronic infections...they seem to occur all at once...so I'll get an infection in the skin folds on the thighs and it spreads right up to the skin hanging on the lower tummy. It covers a large area and is so painful I can barely move at time. :( I never thought I would have THIS much extra skin.  If OHIP does not cover this, any idea how much extra it is for legs?

Referral Sent: Jan. 2013, Orientation: Mar. 2013, Social Worker: Jun. 2013 Nurse: Jul. 2013, Nutrition Class: Aug. 2013, Dietician: Aug. 2013, Psych: Aug 2013  Surgeon: Oct. 2013, PATTS: Nov. 2013 SURGERY: Nov. 7th 2013!!!

Karen M.
on 10/29/14 3:20 am - Mississauga, Canada

Definitely see your family doctor about the rashes. Documented treatment for this will be necessary. Also there are some very effective prescription cream treatments until such time as you are able to consider a panniculectomy. As for the thighs, no OHIP will not fund this.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Mary A.
on 10/29/14 11:55 pm
On October 29, 2014 at 10:20 AM Pacific Time, Karen M. wrote:

Definitely see your family doctor about the rashes. Documented treatment for this will be necessary. Also there are some very effective prescription cream treatments until such time as you are able to consider a panniculectomy. As for the thighs, no OHIP will not fund this.

I agree 100% with Karen, taking pictures yourself does not diagnose the infections/rashes as reoccurring or of a fungal nature.  You need to have it looked at and treated by a doctor. In these days of photoshop and pictures of conditions readily available on the WWW pictures could have been taken of anyone's stomach area or off the internet, not saying that you or anyone on here would do that, but that's why it's necessary to have it looked at by a physician

prior to surgery 323lbs....4 years post-op maintaining between 108- 114 lb loss. 

life is AMAZING when you continue on the right path~!.  Use your surgeons gift to the fullest~!

Mary
surgery done in Duluth, MN

Diminishing Dawn
on 10/29/14 3:25 am - Windsor, Canada

the only people who get legs covered are those that have lost an excessive amount of weight (like 400 lbs). It's not something that OHIP covers for the average patient. 

I just had a fleur de lis tummy tuck done with muscle repair.  Looks great but slow recovery.  Usually surgeons want you at a stable weight for 6 months.  They encourage you to be Somewhat close to goal for optimal results.  That said the process does take awhile.  It took me a year from referral to surgery so if you are within 20 lbs, starting the process doesn't hurt. Just make sure you pick a surgeon who had lots of experience with Wls patients and with Ohip. Some doctors will advocate more than others for Ohip coverage. 

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

cutekatie
on 10/29/14 4:03 am
RNY on 05/16/12

Goal weight does not mean a normal BMI.

I'm going to turn this into a rant because it's rare that people who are obese and morbidly obese being able to reach a normal BMI. It ends up making people feel like failures because they have only been able to maintain, 50, 100, 150 pounds weight loss.

You have to be at a STABLE weight for 3-6 months. I was 190 pounds when I had surgery because after 1 year at being that weight I realized I was never going to lose any more weight. Losing 83 pounds is still an accomplishment.

HW 282 OW 273 SW 247 CW 232

Hanneli xoxo
on 10/29/14 5:18 am - Sudbury, Canada
RNY on 10/30/12

My $0.02 for what its worth. why wouldn't you want to wait? You will have better results after getting to goal and maintaining that weight for sometime.

hmtmomof4
on 10/29/14 5:30 am - Canada
RNY on 11/07/13

Thanks again for all your input. As to why I wouldn't want to wait....well, I have 5 kids....including a 7 week old newborn. These skin infections have become very frequent and very severe. They weep, bleed and are extremely painful.  I went through this surgery to get my life back (which I feel I have done after losing 135lbs!!)....but on the other hand I cannot fully enjoy the new me because I am always in such terrible pain. 

I know the results would be that much better at goal weight, but being one year out, that might take me awhile to reach that point as I am losing more slowly now.  I just want to be pain free and not feel like my skin is on fire or ripping apart. Anyone who has gone through this knows the pain involved. No amount of showering, powders, creams etc. can stop this from happening. It seems as soon as I get it under control, less than a week later I'm into it again.

While I am thrilled with the results, I never thought I would have such terrible sagging skin. I've also birthed a set of twins so my poor skin has seen so much damage! LOL

Thanks again for your thoughts....:)

Most Active