Needing support

Kerigan
on 10/30/14 5:54 pm

Hey everyone, 

It's been quite some time since I've been on this website, but I don't know where else to turn... I had my surgery December 2011, and a revision January 2013... Throughout this entire procedure I have been quite ill and off work for most of the last two years. I was put on a medication for depression, and it resulted in an increased appetite and weight gain, and I just don't know what to do anymore. The weight gain has made me more depressed and I don't have any friends to talk to, which makes it worse. I feel so embarrassed when I go out in public, especially at work, because people comment about my weight gain. I'm ashamed with myself for gaining this weight, and I don't even have any clothes that fir me now because of what this medication has done to me. I don't know what I'm looking for from this group, I just feel so lost and depressed about where I am now... 

Karen M.
on 10/30/14 10:36 pm, edited 10/30/14 10:38 pm - Mississauga, Canada

Welcome back. xo

I think your first step is to get in to speak with your psychiatrist, and if you aren't seeing one to manage your depression meds (and it's your family doctor overseeing your care) you need to see one. They are much more able to assist you in finding the right medication to both treat your depression and avoid unnecessary weight gain. Some psych meds are notorious for promoting weight gain, even in patients who maintain their regular eating habits. I don't know if this is you or not as you didn't mention your eating habits and whether they are contributing to your weight gain.

I had a similar experience with a medication about 4 or 5 years ago - started taking it and within 2 or 3 months had put on 20-25 pounds without changing a single thing with respect to diet or exercise. Once I changed meds, I immediately lost that gain - for whatever reason it made my body hold on to pounds, without it they were gone.

As for the increased appetite - you know, once we're past surgery and losing and trying to maintain, it really comes down to what you're putting into your mouth every day. No magic, no fad diet, simply going back to basics and making a daily eating plan and sticking to it. Is it hard? Sometimes yes and it takes some willpower and some white-knuckling at this stage of the game. It's sad, but true, that we have to go back to "dieting" to lose again, but that's how it is. Once you lose the regain you have to eat mindfully every. single. day.

Make a daily plan for your eating that includes a very protein-forward, very low carb menu. No sugar, eat healthy fats, increase your fluid intake and see where that takes you.

Wishing you the very best. Come back soon.

Karen

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Solstice
on 11/1/14 5:23 am
RNY on 11/27/14

Do you folks mind telling me what antidepressants you were on that caused the weight gain, and the one you switched to that helped eliminate it? Doing some research for someone...

Karen M.
on 11/1/14 5:31 am - Mississauga, Canada

Everyone responds differently and strangely I have found that my body reacts differently now to certain meds than it used to previously. When I had the gain from meds it was from Seroquel. I immediately lost it again when I went to Cymbalta. Having said that, the Cymbalta assaulted my liver and I became very ill last year with my liver, so that was out. I went BACK to Seroquel (been back on that for a year now) because it wouldn't hurt my already injured liver and weirdly, I have NOT gained weight on it this time. Who knows?? LOL I also had no weight gain from Effexor, unfortunately it didn't do the trick after my RNY.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Catw
on 10/30/14 10:39 pm - Arnprior, Canada

Hi Kerigan,

It sounds like you've had a rough couple years.  The first thing that you need to do is ask yourself, what do you want to do?  If you've answered, you want to work and lose the weight then here are a few suggestions:

1.  Talk to your doctor, and see if there is another medication that will work that doesn't have as strong a side effects.

2.  Start at the beginning.   Take a week or two, and journal.  Journal everything.  Every bite you eat, every activity you do, every emotion you feel, everything.

3.  Take a look at the journal you wrote, this gives you a picture of now.  You know where you want to be on these things.  Make a list of what you need to do to get there.

4.  Pick one thing, or even part of one thing, on your list.  And set that as your goal.  Pick something small such as making sure you drink at least 8 glasses of water (or water w/crystal light etc) every day.  Work on that goal until you feel you've made it.  Put a star on your fridge, or something to celebrate that goal.  All goals are worth celebrating, no matter how small.

5.  Pick the next thing on your list, and work towards that goal.  Repeat until your list is gone.

You can get back on track, it will be a lot of work, but you can do it.  Just do it in baby steps, that way it won't overwhelm you.  If you need to go back and re-do a step, that's fine.  I'd also encourage you to go to a support group or coffee night.  It will help, you have friends there and here that will support you.

Let your journey continue.

Cathy

kellybelly333
on 10/31/14 12:01 am - Toronto, Canada

I don't have much to add to the above posts, but keep coming back and let us know how you are doing!!

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

gardeninggal
on 11/6/14 9:01 am - Midland, Canada

Hello Kerigan:  I sympathize with your struggle.  I have struggled with low mood and anti-depressants long before WLS and frankly I still struggle.  I have the most kindest regards to your post and thank you for your honesty.  Please don't give up on yourself.  It takes courage to put yourself out there.  Weight loss is one thing but self esteem, low mood, SADS, etc. is a struggle for so many and we try to mask those feelings and pretend that we are okay.  Trust me you are not alone but reaching out, like you have just done is huge.  Keep posting my friend :)

Most Active