UGH BMI

(deactivated member)
on 10/29/14 1:08 am - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 10/20/14

Oh I'm not that serious! I just dislike the BMI scale, I think it's ridiculous! I know I'll do well. I'm not panicked. Thanks lady! 

Karen M.
on 10/29/14 3:03 am - Mississauga, Canada

I am in the minority it seems - I like and believe the BMI scale. It was dead-on when I was super morbid obese, it's dead-on now at "normal".

Glad you aren't stressing, your post indicates otherwise.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

(deactivated member)
on 10/29/14 3:25 am - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 10/20/14

No I'm fine :) and in it for the long haul, not expecting immediate results. 

birdiegirl
on 10/29/14 11:19 pm, edited 10/29/14 11:20 pm

to Karen -

It can be tough to get your emotions in check the first while - but it is important to do so.    Try and find an even keel while you go thru the ups and downs of wls

kellybelly333
on 10/29/14 12:05 am - Toronto, Canada

Agreed with Karen. Also, the BMI chart isn't the best guideline to use. It doesn't look at your bone structure or muscle. I can wear a size 2-6 and my BMI often will float into the "overweight" category (with a pound or two on). It used to bother me, but I learned to stop worrying about numbers...scale...BMI...sizes, and just live healthily. I hope you can do the same. Breathe and let the new tool you've been granted work. 

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

TES
on 10/29/14 12:53 am - Ottawa, Canada

I'm 6'3" and built like a brick-****house.  My "goal" weight, so they say, is 180lbs.  I would look like a walking skeleton at 180 lbs.  I'm listening to my body and my doctors who tell me to focus on the 225 - 250 lb range.  Those BMI calculators leave a lot to be desired, so step back and focus on drinking your water, getting in your protein and moving your body.  Don't make this whole adventure any more difficult than it already is.  Be proud of what you've already achieved and look forward to feeling even better tomorrow, and the next day, and the next day ...

TES

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 10/29/14 6:12 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Have you had your body fat tested? I had mine done and my lean mass is about 138lb... when I wouldn't hit the "normal" BMI range until 145i****hat might be a good measure, too.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

(deactivated member)
on 11/1/14 6:03 pm - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 10/20/14

No but I should! Good suggestion!

(deactivated member)
on 11/1/14 6:02 pm - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 10/20/14

Thanks Tes, I am proud of my hard work thus far! And very much looking forward to the future. And I agree, they do leave a lot to be desired. I will not pay much attention to them anymore.

TheNewT
on 10/29/14 12:59 am
VSG on 08/04/14

I'm 5'3". Highest weight was 255. On surgery day I was 242. Today, 13 weeks later, I have 25 pounds until I am no longer obese. You can do this! WE can do this! Just work your plan one day at a time. Embrace each day and each victory as you move closer. You will get there. The time will fly by and when you look up you'll see the finish line.

Most Active