Feet/Ankle swelling

Amanda F.
on 10/26/14 10:30 pm - Oshawa, Canada

Hello, I was just wondering if anyone here suffers/suffered from leg and feet swelling. I work at a desk job (pre-surgery) and my feet and legs swell every single day to the point I cannot walk anymore. I literally leave for work at 7AM and come home at 7pm and have to put my feet up. It is literally ruining my life. I was wondering if anyone had this before surgery and it went away after losing all the weight. Any tips are welcomed.

judyeliz
on 10/26/14 10:41 pm
RNY on 04/24/15

My feet also swell horribly. As I have gained weight over the years it has got much worse.  When I was working 12 hour shifts my feet and lower legs would be completely swollen by the end of my shift.  I started wearing knee high compression socks and they help immensely.  I wear them every day, and take them off at night.  Now I am on a med that causes swelling, so I also take water pills daily. So it is controlled somewhat, but still gets bad if I go a day without the compression socks.  I highly recommend them.  I also am hoping that once I have my surgery and lose weight, that it will resolve, or at least improve.

Amanda F.
on 10/26/14 11:10 pm - Oshawa, Canada

Do the compression stockings hurt? my legs are very tendor and in a lot of pain I was afraid the compression stocking would hurt.

judyeliz
on 10/26/14 11:15 pm
RNY on 04/24/15

No they don't hurt, and they feel good when they are on.  You have to put them on first thing when you get up, before your feet and legs start to swell.  They can be a little hard to put on, but worth the effort.  I used to buy the more expensive ones at a home health store, but now I just buy the ones in shoppers drug mart.  The strongest compression they sell.  Cost about $25.  Hope this helps.  

judy

judyeliz
on 10/26/14 11:20 pm
RNY on 04/24/15

Just be sure to get the right size.  You should never have any kinks or wrinkles, or indentations where the top of the sock is.  You wouldn't want to cut circulation and risk a blood clot.  As long as they fit well and come right up to just below your knee you should be fine. 

Amanda F.
on 10/27/14 12:22 am - Oshawa, Canada

I went to shoppers drug mart and asked if they had any they told me to go to a medical supply store and that they do not carry them. I just cannot afford $100 a pair. Maybe I will call around to different shoppers maybe I will find some.

judyeliz
on 10/27/14 1:01 am
RNY on 04/24/15

I have not bought any new ones in a while, but the last time I checked they had them at shoppers.  Usually the end of an aisle, in boxes, in a small display case.  I think usually the end of the aisle where they sell regular socks, and panti hose.  They are a life brand, they have womens and mens.  Colours black, beige and white.  Hope you can find them.  I just hope shoppers has not stopped selling them, because they are cheaper, so they will sell more of the expensive ones at home health store.  That would suck!  I am going to check my shoppers the next time I go.  

judy

Patm
on 10/26/14 10:59 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

My feet used to swell. After losing the weight and my blood pressure under control I no longer have this even in the hottest days. In fact I have lost 1/2 to 1 shoe size. The compression hose sounds like a great idea. Also as you site try to remember to rotate your ankles every few hours. Keeps the circulation moving.

Amanda F.
on 10/26/14 11:10 pm - Oshawa, Canada

That is good news. I hope the swelling goes away once I lose the weight :) thank you.

EllenMW
on 10/26/14 11:29 pm

I too suffered from swollen legs/ankles/feet before I started on the Optifast...then once all tha****er weight left my body... i regained my ankles back..and since surgery... I have sat with my legs down for hours at a time if in the car and I still have skinny ankles/legs/feet!!! so I do hope for you ... that you get your ankles back like i did!!! one of the best feelings!!! :)

Most Active