Things that taste gross- 4 days post op

(deactivated member)
on 10/23/14 1:28 pm - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 10/20/14

AND I was excited to add these into my diet, but nope. They do not taste the same as prior to surgery. 

OATMEAL - Tried three flavours, just the smell of it isn't appetizing

CREAM OF WHEAT- Never again

CHOCOLATE SUGAR FREE PUDDING- Just weird. The vanilla I can handle

BROTH- Makes me sick to my stomach. Could be due to having consumed so much of it prior to surgery

ISOFLEX STRAWBERRY PROTEIN POWDER- Very sad about this one... I loved it prior to surgery, maybe I will again one day, but right now, disgusting. 

I am not sure if these changed taste buds will develop or change further out, but this is what it is right now. Cream of chicken soup and tomato soup have been my safe go to' Not exactly great protein choices, but right now, so early out from surgery, just getting food in is a challenge.

So to anyone out there pre op- I would suggest you do not do what I did, which was stock up on SOOOO much food you assumed you would be able to tolerate post op. Especially the pricey stuff, like protein powders.

Today was a better day 

msmuggins
on 10/23/14 1:53 pm - Canada
RNY on 01/05/15

So glad to hear that things are going better today!  It's funny - the reason why I am buying a lot of different protein powders is because I'm afraid that I won't be able to deal with my old stand-by: Isoflex vanilla!  I guess it's a crap shoot in the end.  Is it that you are finding that everything tastes too sweet?

"Cream of Wheat - never again" - lol!

Are you taking vitamins yet?  If so, are they bearable?

~ Per aspera ad astra ☆彡 

(deactivated member)
on 10/23/14 2:01 pm, edited 10/23/14 2:02 pm - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 10/20/14

Hey! I am taking and tolerating the vitamins, haven't had one issue with those yet! I am on the hunt now for a protein powder I will like... Maybe thinking I will wait a couple more weeks though, until things in my belly have settled, as maybe it will be different then? Not sure. I'll have to invest in some powder samplers'

As far as if it taste too sweet, I'm not sure, Its hard to explain... NOTHING tastes the same to me. The protein powder gives off a smell I just can't stand right now. A lot of things kinda taste like nothing' for lack of a better description, just minimal flavour' Like the cream soups. I wonder if everyone experiences this. 

jillyp
on 10/23/14 9:26 pm

When I first had my surgery - for the first month or so - things tasted weird, but it was the SMELLS that nearly drove me out of the house.  I could not be in the kitchen when the dogs were fed... the smell of the dog food (which did not bother me pre-surgery) was the worst!  Now, 3+months out, it's much better.  Give it time.  Goodluck!

Jiliana2
on 10/23/14 11:46 pm - Ottawa, Canada
VSG on 02/03/14

Just an FYI re: the protein powders. 

If you have a Popeye's store close by (supplements, protein powders, etc.) and you go in and chat with them and tell them a bit about your situation, they will usually gladly offer to help by giving you samples of some of their more popular products. 

Today and tomorrow, Popeye's has their customer appreciation sale. Our favourite protein powder, Bio X Whey Isolate is on sale for $25 off! Take a peek at Popeye's Sale Flyer. They also give Popeye's bucks... like Canadian Tire dollars that can be used towards future purchases there. 

OTTAWA -- 2011 - Contemplated WLS Feb. 15, 2013 - GP Feb. 20 - lung functioning Feb. 22 - blood work Feb. 27 - Referral April 19 - orientation, bloodwork July 10 - nurse July 23 - rheumatologist (VSG) Sept. 12 - Behaviourist & Dietician Oct. 23 - Echocardiogram Nov. 6 - Pre-surgery Class Nov. 12 - Surgeon Jan 13, 2014 - Optifast (3 wks) Jan. 27 - PATTS Feb. 3, 2014 - Surgery (VSG)
HEIGHT: 5'5" HW
303 Pre-Opti 297 SW 271 GW 170 CW 200 (Feb. 8, 2018 - damn the regain!) VSG with Dr. Yelle

nbeatty
on 10/24/14 1:58 am - Aurora, Canada
RNY on 10/03/14

Things do taste and smell horrible right after surgery!  At least that was my experience.  I mentioned it to the dietician and she said it's because everything about your gut has changed.  It will adjust apparently.

Orientation: Jan 27, 2014, Surgeon: Feb 14, 2014, Doctor Internal Medecine: May 5, 2014,  Nurse/Social Worker/Dietician: May 7, 2014, 2nd Visit Social Worker: June 20, 2014, 2nd visit Surgeon: July 11, 2014, PATT (HRRH): Sep 18, 2014 Surgery Date: Oct 3, 2014

(deactivated member)
on 10/24/14 2:35 am - Canada

Hi Jennifer, Hope you are doing well. I rarely post and actually moved to the west coast this past summer but I felt I could offer you some taste advice.

I am over 5yrs post-op and still, occasionally, have taste issues. My tastes/smells for a lot of things changed and I could not tolerate things I used to love.

For example, I couldn't drink my beloved cup of tea for years.....it did and still tastes nasty. I did find that adding a Splenda made it ok. I cannot to this day tolerate tuna. I used to love tuna salad

and it now smells gross.

My advice it to keep trying things after a few weeks/months. As you heal and things settle things may start to taste normal.

Best wishes and much success!

Joy

Most Active