Orientation

David Symons
on 10/22/14 11:54 pm - Peterborough, Canada

I went to the orientation session on Monday. It was a very informative presentation. They covered the whole range of the weight loss surgery process. I came away with a lot of new information.

However, I do have a question that maybe someone can help me with. The information I was given at the orientation session stated clearly that we could not take pills after surgery. I take two different medications in the form of time release capsules. Neither medication is available in liquid. Does anyone out there take medication with time release capsules? If I cannot continue to take these capsules I will not be able to have the weight loss surgery.

Feb 02/14 Pre-Atkins Diet 355lbs. April 01/14 324 lbs. April 07/14 320lbs. September 14/14 281lbs.

Loaf
on 10/23/14 12:09 am - Canada
VSG on 10/31/14

Hi David.

I am not in your situation, however from all the reading on this forum and research i have done.  You will be able to take meds after.   Some meds like NSAID are not allowed.  I would suggest that you contact your team to discuss your concirns

Karen M.
on 10/23/14 12:29 am - Mississauga, Canada

I'm not sure why they told you that you couldn't take pills after surgery. If you are having the RNY NSAIDs will be off the table, but all other medication can still be taking in its' entirety. I would ask this question to the medical team at your bariatric centre. I have taken prescription medication (pills/capsules) from the beginning, no issues. You will want to avoid time-release medications, so those will have to be switched to the regular-release form. Other than that, your meds are fair game.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

nbeatty
on 10/23/14 12:46 am - Aurora, Canada
RNY on 10/03/14

I did have some medication compounded into liquid by my compounding pharmacy, but it was way too sweet.  So I ended up having a medication changed - it was in capsule form, so I could open it and mix with applesauce or yogurt.  It is extended release and doesn't have a form that is not XR, so I've been taking it and it seems to be effective.  As Karen says you will be able to take pills again; my clinic (HRRH) just doesn't recommend it at the beginning.

Orientation: Jan 27, 2014, Surgeon: Feb 14, 2014, Doctor Internal Medecine: May 5, 2014,  Nurse/Social Worker/Dietician: May 7, 2014, 2nd Visit Social Worker: June 20, 2014, 2nd visit Surgeon: July 11, 2014, PATT (HRRH): Sep 18, 2014 Surgery Date: Oct 3, 2014

Patm
on 10/23/14 12:46 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

Time release capsules do not work the same after surgery. Also directly after surgery I was told not to swallow anything larger than an m&m. So I went to my pharmacist and doctor and worked out what other drugs could be used instead. Also there is a difference if you are having a VGS or RNY. You do not say why you take these drugs. I now no longer need blood pressure or diabetic meds.

Needanewbeginning
on 10/23/14 12:59 am - Barrie, Canada
RNY on 05/21/13

Not sure why your centre said no meds after. But in my case, HRRH said no NSAIDs post op. Extended release wasn't a good idea but it depends on the meds. I take an xl med (welbutrin) an antidepressant. One that I can't change to another kind. So far no issues at all and I have taken them since my first day post op without any problems. 

I would check with your centre for sure. 

Good luck on your journey, very exciting time!

Annette 😄

Starting weight: 334 lbs.Starting opti weight: 323 lbs, Surgery weight 303 lbs.Surgery-May 21st, 2013 with Dr Hagen at HRRH Goal weight 165 lbs reached at 13 months. Current weight 156 lbs

David Symons
on 10/23/14 1:38 am - Peterborough, Canada

Thanks for all your responses. I am considering RNY surgery. I am taking Effexor (depression) time release capsules two add 6:00 AM and one time release capsule at 6 PM. This medication does not come in any other form. I have tried every antidepressant on the market and Effexor is the most effective to treat my depression. I also take time release hydromorphone capsules twice a day for pain. Possibly I could switch non-time release pills for pain.

Feb 02/14 Pre-Atkins Diet 355lbs. April 01/14 324 lbs. April 07/14 320lbs. September 14/14 281lbs.

Karen M.
on 10/23/14 3:29 am - Mississauga, Canada

Ohhhh, I can comment on the Effexor specifically.

I was on Effexor at the time of my RNY. I was instructed to open the capsule and "eat" (WITHOUT CHEWING. DO NOT CHEW) the contents which are tiny little balls of medicine. No issues at all doing that.

Karen

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

David Symons
on 10/23/14 5:20 am - Peterborough, Canada

Thanks Karen. Opening the capsules should work.

Catw
on 10/23/14 1:58 am - Arnprior, Canada

Talk to the doctor who prescribes your meds, as well as the clinic.  You will also need to talk to the pharmasist.  Right after surgery, you will not be able to take any pills larger than the tip of your baby finger.  If you need to take pills larger, you would need to crush them or split into small pieces, if you take capsules, you might be able to open them to take them (your tummy may not disolve them enough after surgery).  This is where the pharmasist comes in, they can tell you what can be crushed, opened or if there is an alternative that you can take (even if it's more pills at a lower dose if they are smaller).  Make sure that your doctor knows about your surgery and keeps an eye on your meds after surgery as you may have to change dose due to malabsorption and your weight.  Your doctor and the clinic can help you with the time release part of the pills.  Or at least monitor how you react post surgery if there are no alternatives.

If there is nothing that you can do about the meds, the surgeon might consider doing a sleeve instead.  Like the RNY, it is a tool, but it doesn't have the malabsorption that the RNY has.  Therefore you can have a wider variety of medication.

Good luck,

Cathy

Most Active